Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

PPE V8 Headers GS, LS, SC

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-11, 08:21 AM
slowdiver
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PPEs are on!!!

Been running them for about 2 weeks now and I am VERY happy.

Power is similar to the S&S headers if not more and the sound is a bit louder to me which I do not mind. Of course this is all based on the butt dyno. Detonation pops at WOT are NOT there like before with the S&S. Lets just a hope this design does not crack like the previous S&S design. This is still my favorite mod after the PI TC.

Just a reminder, when doing this install, it is highly recommended that you replace both motor mounts and tranny mount. Mine were severely cracked and my '98 only has 135K miles on it.

Now go out and install these bad boys!!

Last edited by slowdiver; 06-20-11 at 12:50 PM.
Old 06-20-11, 08:31 AM
whitegs430
Driver

Originally Posted by slowdiver

Power is similar to the S&S headers if not more and the sound is a bit louder to me which I do not mind. Of course this is all based on the butt dyno. Detonation pops at WOT are not there like before with the S&S. Lets just a hope this design does not crack like the previous S&S design. This is still my favorite mod after the PI TC.

Just a reminder, when doing this install, it is highly recommended that you replace both motor mounts and tranny mount. Mine were severely cracked and my '98 only has 135K miles on it.

I did my motor and tranny mounts when i did my headers and one of the motor mounts was so badly ripped the oil inside was leaking out. Mounts are a must and its easyier to install the headers with the mounts removed.
Old 06-20-11, 10:12 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Power is similar to the S&S headers if not more and the sound is a bit louder to me which I do not mind. Of course this is all based on the butt dyno. Detonation pops at WOT are not there like before with the S&S. Lets just a hope this design does not crack like the previous S&S design. This is still my favorite mod after the PI TC.

how hard was it to DIY?

also can you explain more about those exhaust pops?
Old 06-20-11, 12:49 PM
slowdiver
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vwynn
how hard was it to DIY?

also can you explain more about those exhaust pops?
My mechanic did the install. He has done at least 4 header installs for me and he said this one was by far the most difficult. Apologies for not getting all of the details on the difficulty of the install, but I do respect his opinion as he is a Lexus Master Technician.

Regarding the loud pops at WOT with the 2nd Gen S&S headers, I think a few others also commented on this issue. I know that I was not the only one who experienced this when slamming the accelerator down from a dead stop. So far, have not had this sound with the PPEs.
Old 06-20-11, 03:09 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My mechanic did the install. He has done at least 4 header installs for me and he said this one was by far the most difficult. Apologies for not getting all of the details on the difficulty of the install, but I do respect his opinion as he is a Lexus Master Technician.

Regarding the loud pops at WOT with the 2nd Gen S&S headers, I think a few others also commented on this issue. I know that I was not the only one who experienced this when slamming the accelerator down from a dead stop. So far, have not had this sound with the PPEs.
4 headers installed...same car? I might pull out my ss and replace it with these if I can convince myself that it'll be better. I looked underneath my car and there is no good place to install the flex coupler (lowered car).
Old 06-20-11, 03:15 PM
slowdiver
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sam430
4 headers installed...same car? I might pull out my ss and replace it with these if I can convince myself that it'll be better. I looked underneath my car and there is no good place to install the flex coupler (lowered car).
Yes...I went through at least 3 sets of S&S...tried re-welding after cracking but eventually cracked again. I would just wait and see how long your S&S headers last. I had the 2nd Gen on my car and they cracked after 1 year.
Old 06-21-11, 09:44 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

I looked underneath my car and there is no good place to install the flex coupler (lowered car).
dont tell me that, i literally just got mine in....

im lowered also, how low are you sam?
Old 06-21-11, 05:27 PM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
dont tell me that, i literally just got mine in....

im lowered also, how low are you sam?
I dont understand this eather. Its not like they are very big & you just weld them in right behind the 2nd O2 sensor.

I got my PPE headers in today also, & man all im lacking now are my 45's & im ready to go. Cant wait.
Old 06-22-11, 11:25 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spdrcr771
I dont understand this eather. Its not like they are very big & you just weld them in right behind the 2nd O2 sensor.

I got my PPE headers in today also, & man all im lacking now are my 45's & im ready to go. Cant wait.

yeah that didnt make sense to me they are very short....a comparison picture next to a pen

Old 06-22-11, 12:18 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, I'd have to take pictures..but since you already have them, install them I was about to pull the trigger and buy those too (but much longer)... I guess I'll wait to see how it goes for you.

I have 19" wheels an the lip is about 1" from the fender.
Old 06-22-11, 01:10 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Where you buys these from? I'm redoing my entire exhaust system and mounts, so hopefully the headers won't crack anymore.

yeah that didnt make sense to me they are very short....a comparison picture next to a pen

Old 06-22-11, 02:59 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Well, I'd have to take pictures..but since you already have them, install them I was about to pull the trigger and buy those too (but much longer)... I guess I'll wait to see how it goes for you.
dont wait on me, i havent even installed my headers im still concerned with the drivers side issue some people had. i dont wanna be all up in this and have that issue

Originally Posted by GS FONZy
Where you buys these from? I'm redoing my entire exhaust system and mounts, so hopefully the headers won't crack anymore.
from paul at PPE. he's cutting us a break $40 shipped for both of them and they S.S.

this is why i got these. along with my engine/tranny mounts im adding these to insure these dont crack or try and reduce it atleast
Old 06-22-11, 06:15 PM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

dont wait on me, i havent even installed my headers im still concerned with the drivers side issue some people had. i dont wanna be all up in this and have that issue
Would you quit being a woosy & just get them done, so you can enjoy them like the rest of us. LOL, just playin.
Old 06-22-11, 06:50 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't be a baby! Just install them already.
Old 06-23-11, 12:27 AM
whitegs430
Driver

Just contact paul and ask if your drivers side will be a problem. I got my new one for free and it fits perfect no modifying the hanger at the transmission at all. I have been driving with them for 3 days put over 400km approx 240miles alot of hard driving and they are sounding great. The tanabe helps to.

Quick Reply: PPE V8 Headers GS, LS, SC