Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

PPE V8 Headers GS, LS, SC

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-10, 03:28 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by PPEHeaders
Yikes! I didn't realize there were so many variations. We did the LS430 and the GS400 prototypes. The Steering shaft on the GS400 try-y design was way different than the log manifold of the LS430.

So the LS430 headers we did should fit all the 430 cars it would seem since they all use the same stock manifold, yes? And the GS400 headers will only fit the GS400.
This is why I suggested that your GS400 may fit ALL the applications. The GS400 flange locations, both the head and catalyst are the same as all the 430 engines.

The S&S was designed off a set of GS400 manifolds without a car. They were built to fit inside the heat shields and that determined exterior dimensions. The design fit all of the models (LS400, SC400, GS400, GS/LS/SC430s) with the LS400 having a slightly longer stock design putting the header in very close proximity to the steering and the SC400 having a slightly shorter design. Both LS400 and SC400 needed changes to the Y pipe as the catalyst flanges were rotated and the lengths were off. But they did fit around the underhood obstacles.
Old 11-17-10, 07:01 PM
7MGTEPOWA
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im interested but cant help that little bug in the back of my mind that says scam..
Old 11-17-10, 07:23 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 7MGTEPOWA
Im interested but cant help that little bug in the back of my mind that says scam..
What? Dude your little bug has no reason to be there. Call terminx or something PPE is a very Legit header company and forum sponsor.
Old 11-17-10, 08:11 PM
airbender
Rookie

Default ..

Get a gun and shoot that bug lol
Old 11-18-10, 08:50 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by JBrady
This is why I suggested that your GS400 may fit ALL the applications. The GS400 flange locations, both the head and catalyst are the same as all the 430 engines.

The S&S was designed off a set of GS400 manifolds without a car. They were built to fit inside the heat shields and that determined exterior dimensions. The design fit all of the models (LS400, SC400, GS400, GS/LS/SC430s) with the LS400 having a slightly longer stock design putting the header in very close proximity to the steering and the SC400 having a slightly shorter design. Both LS400 and SC400 needed changes to the Y pipe as the catalyst flanges were rotated and the lengths were off. But they did fit around the underhood obstacles.
interesting to know....

Originally Posted by 7MGTEPOWA

Originally Posted by TLcoats
PPE is a very Legit header company and forum sponsor.
not to mention they have to PAY to be a sponsor...so who pays that kinda $ monthly to scam people?
Old 11-18-10, 09:57 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

i am curious to hear on what basis this bug thinks it is a scam... he gonna run off with your deposit?
Old 11-18-10, 11:44 AM
7MGTEPOWA
Rookie

Originally Posted by airbender
get a gun and shoot that bug lol
hahahahahaaah
Old 11-18-10, 03:44 PM
airbender
Rookie

I know hilarious lol
Old 11-30-10, 04:56 PM
ChampGS3
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What kind of moron comes on here hijacking a thread by claiming something is a scam when pictures of the "Finished Product" have already been posted?

Someone with "powa" in there name...that's who...dude get a life!

Can a moderator please ban this 7mgte fool?

To PPE, Thank You for continuing to develop quality affordable performance products for our cars.

Cheers.
Old 12-01-10, 10:39 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChampGS3
To PPE, Thank You for continuing to develop quality affordable performance products for our cars.

Cheers.
u gonna get in on the GB?

we only need one more for the 15% off
Old 12-02-10, 08:43 PM
Lexizm
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
Is it really worth it to get rid of the S&S headers for these new PPE long tube headers? I mean the hassle of uninstalling, selling my headers, buying the new ones and re-installing...all for what 5whp? If that? I can't see these headers yielding more than 5whp more than the S&S design.

This is a GREAT new mod for the guys that don't have headers yet but for those that already have the S&S ones; I don't think it's worth the cost of the switch. What do you think?
I agree for the guys that don't have headers it's a great mod and they look good too! The increase is only 2hp over the S&S headers as they yield 18hprw, that's what I dyno'd.
Old 12-03-10, 08:39 AM
nar8ta
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not to bring rain clouds to the beach but, does any of the old timer here remember the problems other members had with the old bach of header due to cracking. I believe they was a fix. But my question is, is there any guarentee this will not happen to these newly design header. Maybe others can chime in to clarify what was causing the stress to cause them to crack.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...-header-9.html

This was the update thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...nt-design.html

Back then I held out from buying the headers not wanting to be one of the first guinea pigs, and boy was I glad. I'm interested and have the money to buy but don't want to have these types of issues 9 months from now. Maybe PPE can chime in with some guarantee or state the structural differences between his design and the other companies design.

Thanks
Old 12-03-10, 09:39 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by nar8ta
Maybe others can chime in to clarify what was causing the stress to cause them to crack.
was the gauge of the steel they used....was fixed in the second batch. can PM OP and ask him what gauge he is using...or i will when i get back from lunch
Old 12-03-10, 10:53 AM
nar8ta
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
was the gauge of the steel they used....was fixed in the second batch. can PM OP and ask him what gauge he is using...or i will when i get back from lunch
Cool thanks, no PM's through, that information should be post publicly just in case of mishaps in the future.
Old 12-03-10, 11:10 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

we got 17 now BTW slowly inching to 20

Originally Posted by nar8ta
Cool thanks, no PM's through, that information should be post publicly just in case of mishaps in the future.
thats VERY true and i dont recall anyone ever asking them....

i just looked at this info though and i dunno but if they using they same gauge steel wouldnt we have the same issues?

Originally Posted by PPEHeaders
4.Though ours are made of mild steel, they are 16 gauge (.065" wall thickness) US standard steel, and are stronger than the very thin Chinese grade 304 stainless you see on many of the cheaper headers available.
from this thread, post # 8

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...s-exhaust.html

i wonder if OP will have any issues like they did in this thread...post # 1

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...nt-design.html

Originally Posted by JBrady
I just spoke with S&S Headers owner/designer Mr. Loren Barnes.

There has been NO reported failures/cracking of the current Lexus V8 headers.

The first run of headers, aproximately 30 sets, tended to have tubing cracks develop after several thousand miles of use. This resulted in S&S changing both the steel tubing thickness and welding pattern.

Original tubing thickness was 16 gauge = 0.065 inch tubing wall thickness

Upgrade/current design is 14 gauge = 0.083 inch tubing wall thickness

This is an increase in tubing thickness of 28%
i will PM OP and see if its possible to get them made in 14 gauge and see if he will answer here also PM'ed jbrady as he knows alot on this subject.

this is the PM i sent to both of them

Originally Posted by sakataj
is it possible you could address this issue narta and i have been speaking of in posts #58-60

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ml#post5972187

if these are being made in the same 16 gauge (0.065 inch tubing wall thickness) wouldnt we have the same issues S&S had on the first run of their headers? wouldnt it be more appropriate to use 14 gauge (0.083 inch tubing wall thickness) so we DONT have the same issues S&S did?

brian

Last edited by sakataj; 12-03-10 at 11:17 AM.

Quick Reply: PPE V8 Headers GS, LS, SC