Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

PPE V8 Headers GS, LS, SC

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-10, 06:42 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by TLcoats
I agree. I think it would be a safer bet to go with 14ga just as a precaution. I don't like the idea of down the rode maybe having to go through the same problems that the guys with S&S had to go through.
Originally Posted by GS4_CS
I like the idea of the 14 gauge for piece of mind. If headers crack and I pull them off, they will not go back on. I dont like having to do the same thing twice if I dont have to.
well, its not gonna happen. i thought PPE would post in here but paul has been quick to answer my PM's so i will just post his response in here

Originally Posted by PPEHeaders
Hey Brian,

We don't have tooling to bend 14 gauge tubing. We have never had a need for it. The only place I know that ever bent 14 gauge was S&S. Plus using 14 Guage will reduce the ID of the tube and reduce flow.

You can always add a couple 2" flex pipes right after the cats if you are worried about breakage/cracking. This would take pretty much all the stress off the headers. (there is no flex in the entire exhaust)

Regards,
Paul
i even asked if i paid more if i could get 14 gauge but they said no dice,crossing my fingers we have no issues like S&S had...i would seriously look into replacing the engine/tranny mounts as a precaution guys and im gonna ask jbrady what he thinks of a flex pipe (as a dded opinion) and if everything is copacetic im gonna add a 2" flex pipe like paul suggested
Old 12-06-10, 07:23 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They have used 14ga on designs for lexus's before, and i haven't heard of any of the IS guys running into any cracking problems. But then again, they're much newer cars and most likely have good engine/tranny mounts. If it is required to replace the engine/tranny mounts or too install a flex joint in my exhaust to install these headers, then most likely i will have to back out. I simply don't have the money for these other things.
Old 12-06-10, 07:31 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I'm sure you'll be fine. If they crack, then just send it back for warranty. Cross your fingers and hope for the best.
Old 12-06-10, 07:53 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

They have used 14ga on designs for lexus's before, and i haven't heard of any of the IS guys running into any cracking problems. But then again, they're much newer cars and most likely have good engine/tranny mounts. If it is required to replace the engine/tranny mounts or too install a flex joint in my exhaust to install these headers, then most likely i will have to back out. I simply don't have the money for these other things.
none of those are required....just suggestions

Originally Posted by GSteg
I'm sure you'll be fine. If they crack, then just send it back for warranty. Cross your fingers and hope for the best.
lol....yeah but that will get old to henry like it did for people with the S&S headers. right now its all hypothetical were assuming because the S&S headers made in the same thickness cracked that these will too but its not necessarily true. NONE of us know this, were just all a little paranoid because of what DID happen with the other brand. so for right now OP is asking us to trust him....im talking to jbrady and OP and im hoping to get some incite from both opinions as they BOTH know more than me bout exhausts and such

im glad were talking bout this over here and not on the GB though . i can seriously see the pandemonium if it was over there

henry did you PM OP to see if production had started? we got 20 BTW guys
Old 12-08-10, 09:07 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

ok so i talked to jbrady and paul at ppe for the last couple days and this is the essential part of the conversation with jbrady (the conversation with PPE is posted above)

Originally Posted by JBrady
If they do not have the die's to bend the 14 gauge then it is not an option. I would run them as they are and if a problem does arise examine the issue and go from there. I would not make the extra effort and expense of the flex pipe at this point.

paul @ ppe informed me that production will be started this week... this is the email i got from him yesterday

Hey Brian,
We are starting production this week. We are cutting flanges and bending tube, then we will start assembly. They should start shipping in about 2 weeks (this includes coating which takes about a week or so depending on their schedule).

-Paul
Old 12-08-10, 09:34 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Hopefully they'll be here before Christmas
Old 12-15-10, 08:14 PM
whitegs430
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody hear any updates about production?
Old 12-15-10, 11:19 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

BTW PPE i want chrome jet hot not the black!
Old 12-15-10, 11:38 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by whitegs430
Anybody hear any updates about production?
BTW PPE i want chrome jet hot not the black!
check the GB thread guys i posted the last email but if u need, contact the OP

i gotta check with the OP to see if they can do a black chrome coating so i can have the best of both worlds

EDIT: i just PM OP about the possibility of a black chrome coating and also on the status of production

Last edited by sakataj; 12-15-10 at 11:45 PM.
Old 12-15-10, 11:47 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sakataj
check the GB thread guys i posted the last email but if u need, contact the OP

i gotta check with the OP to see if they can do a black chrome coating so i can have the best of both worlds

EDIT: i just PM OP about the possibility of a black chrome coating and also on the status of production
Black chrome!? Good idea. A burn't stainless would look sick, if it was made out of stainless...
Old 12-16-10, 11:54 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSteg
Hopefully they'll be here before Christmas
doubtful henry....see the email reply i got from him yesterday

Black chrome!? Good idea. A burn't stainless would look sick, if it was made out of stainless...
no dice here either...

this is what i sent him and then the reponse i got

is it possible to get a black chrome coating from jet coat?

also since people are asking i figured i would check with you, any status/progress on the headers?

im sure your busy working so if i dont hear from you for a min i wont be suprised

brian
Hey Brian,
JetHot doesn't offer a black chrome coating, sorry.

We are building orders 1-8 this week and orders we will get another 6 or 7 done next week.

Regards,
Paul

i was kinda thinking they would have already been halfway through the first half of the orders as the group buy has been over for 11 days already... damn oh well. they were just gonna go into my pile of parts i never will install anyways
Old 12-16-10, 12:20 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

doubtful henry....see the email reply i got from him yesterday

no dice here either...

this is what i sent him and then the reponse i got

i was kinda thinking they would have already been halfway through the first half of the orders as the group buy has been over for 11 days already... damn oh well. they were just gonna go into my pile of parts i never will install anyways

Damn orders 1-8? I'm number 15. Well at least i get to wait a little longer and save up some more money for tranny and motor mounts so these don't crack all over the place.
Old 12-16-10, 12:44 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Damn orders 1-8? I'm number 15. Well at least i get to wait a little longer and save up some more money for tranny and motor mounts so these don't crack all over the place.
glad im # 4....thats what happens when you procrastinate 4EVER bought joining the GB

EDIT: while out to lunch i got this email in my personal email box

Hi Brian,
Your headers will be going to ceramic coating tomorrow or Monday. Did you decide if you want the polished ceramic coating or the black ceramic coating?

Regards,
Paul

sweet for me......i asked this after answering i wanted black ones

how long till they are completely finished and do you have a invoice total now with the 15% minus my 100 deposit?

and got a response immediately almost

Hi Brian,
Coating takes a week at JetHot, so they should be done there around the 27th depending on their holiday schedule. I will email you your invoice right now.

Regards,

Paul

got my invoice immediately after that

Last edited by sakataj; 12-17-10 at 08:50 AM.
Old 12-16-10, 04:54 PM
whitegs430
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the updates sakataj. much appreciated!
Old 12-17-10, 08:58 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by whitegs430
Thanks for the updates sakataj. much appreciated!
welcome....i sent them my final total this morning so no hold up for me, when they done, they will ship

stoked....

Last edited by sakataj; 12-23-10 at 01:07 PM.

Quick Reply: PPE V8 Headers GS, LS, SC