Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

PPE V8 Headers GS, LS, SC

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-11, 09:16 PM
whitegs430
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As long as it doesnt leak i guess! Did you dyno your car before you put the headers on?
Old 01-02-11, 09:24 PM
whitegs430
Driver

Originally Posted by airbender
its not really a problem but i do think they could have done a better job with the flanges to the cat as far as fitment i used all new gaskets but there is a gap between cat and flange because unlike the oem mainifolds there isnt a recessed ring on the header flange so the gasket can seat better.
Is there a recessed ring on the cat side to keep the gasket centered during install?
Old 01-02-11, 09:41 PM
airbender
Rookie

no there isnt but there is a piece of tube from the cat that fits right inti header flange centering the gasket wont be a prob.

Last edited by airbender; 01-02-11 at 09:50 PM.
Old 01-02-11, 09:57 PM
whitegs430
Driver

cool thanks for all the info!
Old 01-03-11, 10:43 AM
airbender
Rookie

On the way to work today found that the car is adjusting nicely low end is better car feels stronger now got me looking for trouble lol I'll probly dyno this weekend.
Old 01-03-11, 10:57 AM
whitegs430
Driver

did you dyno the car before the headers? You have the srt intake to?

Last edited by whitegs430; 01-03-11 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-03-11, 12:40 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I'm wondering if the SRT has anything to do with the performance difference. The piggyback that came with it was tuned more for a stock GS, than a GS with headers/exhaust.
Old 01-03-11, 01:04 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GSteg
I'm wondering if the SRT has anything to do with the performance difference. The piggyback that came with it was tuned more for a stock GS, than a GS with headers/exhaust.
I'm thinking the same thing. I am just eager to know what type of improvements this will make on my car with Intake, Exhaust, and Apexi Neo tune. Because OP said at first he wasn't happy with the improvements but as time went on the car was adjusting. Did you unplug the negative terminal to the battery to reboot the ECU?
Old 01-03-11, 02:14 PM
airbender
Rookie

Originally Posted by TLcoats
I'm thinking the same thing. I am just eager to know what type of improvements this will make on my car with Intake, Exhaust, and Apexi Neo tune. Because OP said at first he wasn't happy with the improvements but as time went on the car was adjusting. Did you unplug the negative terminal to the battery to reboot the ECU?
Yeah I did reboot it it might just be the combo I have I also notice a slight miss at idle think imma go back to ngk imma also attempt to tune with srt
Old 01-03-11, 02:40 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Nice work...nice to see that someone else put out some headers!
Old 01-03-11, 02:53 PM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Im not suprised to hear that, low end torque was lost. I had the same thing with my S&S. JBrady & me talked & we were thinking its cause I have Xpipe, instead of the stock Y pipe so yall chime in on if you have a X pipe or Y pipe.
Old 01-03-11, 05:03 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by spdrcr771
Im not suprised to hear that, low end torque was lost. I had the same thing with my S&S. JBrady & me talked & we were thinking its cause I have Xpipe, instead of the stock Y pipe so yall chime in on if you have a X pipe or Y pipe.
Correct. Until I find a Y pipe or other design superior to the stock I will continue to advise people to keep their stock Y pipe.

With regards to the PPE vs S&S the PPE have slightly larger tubes and a 4 into one collector vs the tri-Y design of the S&S. As I have said before I hope someone will do a direct back to back comparison on both power as well as responsiveness between these designs. Responsiveness on part throttle and low to medium RPM is more important than the last few horsepower at high RPM.
Old 01-03-11, 05:57 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JBrady
Correct. Until I find a Y pipe or other design superior to the stock I will continue to advise people to keep their stock Y pipe.

With regards to the PPE vs S&S the PPE have slightly larger tubes and a 4 into one collector vs the tri-Y design of the S&S. As I have said before I hope someone will do a direct back to back comparison on both power as well as responsiveness between these designs. Responsiveness on part throttle and low to medium RPM is more important than the last few horsepower at high RPM.
This has me worried. Lets hope we don't lose to much on the bottom end.
Old 01-03-11, 06:08 PM
airbender
Rookie

Originally Posted by JBrady

I am working on getting a y pipe that deletes the resonator I saw a similar disign make 6whp 1.9 tq with intake n exhaust
Old 01-04-11, 12:31 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by airbender
I am working on getting a y pipe that deletes the resonator I saw a similar disign make 6whp 1.9 tq with intake n exhaust
What similar design and what vehicle?

Gain in power is not the same as a gain in response. First S&S header install member used a racing 2.25-to-2.5" merge I donated and had a 2.25" Y pipe made. Loss of low end response was very obvious. Felt "mushy". It gained 1rwhp. Removed and went back to stock and car felt snappy again. An SC400 had a custom 2.5"-to-3" Y pipe built using a quality merge pipe from Dr.Gas. Lousy midrange at best. Replaced with 2-to-2.5" Y pipe and car woke way up.

Stock Y has an excellent merge section. Looks restrictive but it is not. Pipes are 50mm (1.97") into a 60mm (2.36") resonator and center pipe. You do not have a center resonator you have a center third catalyst. The GS above tested stock 400 Y-pipe (resonator) against stock 430 Y-pipe (catalyst) and found no power or performance difference. For now, I would not recommend changing your Y pipe.

Quick Reply: PPE V8 Headers GS, LS, SC