Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SRT TWIN TURBO's IS,GS,SC YES U DAMN RIGHT! Now I'm gonna be broke...

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-02, 10:55 AM
JYOO

Headaches from a supercharger???
You are sadly mistaken if a supercharger is considered a headache, then a turbo is a head tumor.

Twin turbo V-8 sounds menacing but a blower is more street friendly.
Old 07-26-02, 12:18 PM
Mariusz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by JYOO
Headaches from a supercharger???
You are sadly mistaken if a supercharger is considered a headache, then a turbo is a head tumor.

Twin turbo V-8 sounds menacing but a blower is more street friendly.
I would hve to gree to this one. Twin turbo setup has definitely more potential for something to go wrong. However, having a TT on our GS4 would simply be amazing.

So Mariusz, does this mean that you're Mo's test Mule ? How long has Mo had your car, and are there any rough estimates pricewise for the TT setup?
No. I believe Lexciting's GS will be done before mine. Heck, I think Mo should give each Stge4+ a SRT serial number for uniqueness. I already have several candidates lined up *cough prey *cough after my car comes out of the shop.

Im speechless can you beleive this!!

So whats the ballpark figure on cost.Lexciting mentioned if your not married you should be able to afford this but it can t be under 10g could it?
I can't mention ny pricing, but for the sake of comparison, here's what just a part of a TT setup on a Supra could run you.

HKS TT kit - $8K
Fuel - 2K
Intercooler - 1.2K
Labor - 2.0K

This is not taking into consideration that you would be probably need pistons for the GS if you wanted to push 500RWHP+ reliably and a rebuilt tranny. Not to mention the extra labor cost of tking the whole engine out to do the TT setup. Just food for thought.
Old 07-26-02, 01:00 PM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by LexCiting
Definitely!!! You know you will have to bring your camcorder too!
Its a DEAL!!!!!
Old 07-26-02, 01:09 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn, all of a sudden we have TT GS's all over the place. Awesome!!!
Old 07-26-02, 01:14 PM
JYOO

Unhappy

Twin Turbo GS400's, im gonna hide, momma im scared.
Old 07-26-02, 01:27 PM
ShowGSLuVv
Lexus Test Driver

all I gotta say is WOWWWWW to have a twin turbo charged V8 engine, there is no amount of street legal power that isn't obtainable now, I mean no M5 could compete with a Twin turb GS, I dont care what it has cuz it would blow up long before it could handle the amount of power a GS could... just my opinion

ShOwGS
Old 07-26-02, 01:34 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

haha man.. 3-4 of you guys knew about it... and were just finding out...... its all good!....

@ least now we know SRT is still making things happen!

any idea about a TT setup ona GS3?

im sure we'll get around to it....
Old 07-26-02, 01:41 PM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Mariusz

I would hve to gree to this one. Twin turbo setup has definitely more potential for something to go wrong. However, having a TT on our GS4 would simply be amazing.

No. I believe Lexciting's GS will be done before mine. Heck, I think Mo should give each Stge4+ a SRT serial number for uniqueness. I already have several candidates lined up *cough prey *cough after my car comes out of the shop.

I can't mention ny pricing, but for the sake of comparison, here's what just a part of a TT setup on a Supra could run you.

HKS TT kit - $8K
Fuel - 2K
Intercooler - 1.2K
Labor - 2.0K

This is not taking into consideration that you would be probably need pistons for the GS if you wanted to push 500RWHP+ reliably and a rebuilt tranny. Not to mention the extra labor cost of tking the whole engine out to do the TT setup. Just food for thought.
That looks to be 15k+! Guess you REALLY gotta pay if you want to play.............5K in SupraTT gets you 500+ RWHP.......but they already have the two stock turbos, so that eliminates roughly the first 8k....
Old 07-26-02, 01:42 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

I have turbo envy!
Old 07-26-02, 01:57 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

TT setup... good news for wild children everywhere

Is that going to be street-legal (is it going to pass emissions, does MO have a CARB number)?

Also, should the engine bushings also be replaced when upgrading to this kind of horsepower?
Old 07-26-02, 03:52 PM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Vlad_Stein
TT setup... good news for wild children everywhere

Is that going to be street-legal (is it going to pass emissions, does MO have a CARB number)?

Also, should the engine bushings also be replaced when upgrading to this kind of horsepower?
Why wouldn't it be LEGAL we have LOW EMISSION VEHICALS as it is!!!
Old 07-26-02, 04:05 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe a trickle down effect will be that SRT lowers the prices on their superchargers. i think that would be my preferred method of F/I, if nothing else but for the ease and lack of engineering (pistons, connecting rods, etc) of the system. but i cant wait to see some numbers thrown up by you TT guys.....

Doc
Old 07-26-02, 05:18 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

just making sure...

superchargers run off your cars gas/oil??? to give boost

while Turbo uses Exhaust Heat/gass's?? to give boost...

so supercharged car would take more gas.... while a turbo'd car would give the same MPH... some one update me here...
Old 07-26-02, 05:53 PM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by CamRen
just making sure...

so supercharged car would take more gas.... while a turbo'd car would give the same MPH... some one update me here...
Yeah please update us on this.......also what is the LAG of the TTs gonna be like?
Old 07-26-02, 06:22 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Originally posted by CamRen
just making sure...

Superchargers are driven off a pulley that is connected through a belt to your engine. Therefore the engine provides the power to spin the supercharger. Engine revs faster, supercharger spins faster. Put a smaller pulley on the supercharger and you get faster spinning so more boost.

Turbos are driven off the exhaust gasses. That's why you see new manifolds designed for inclusion of the turbo and that's why the pre-cats usually disappear and the smog thing becomes an issue (Did I mention there is a lot of heat involved?).

Therefore a supercharged car would use more gas because you are always driving the supercharger even when you aren't "in" a boost condition. Fancy cars like the Mercedes AMG C32 have an electrical clutch that decouples the drive of the supercharger so that it doesn't really drag the engine. As soon as the foot goes down the clutch engages and viola, you have boost.

Originally posted by GS400_PUSHER

Yeah please update us on this.......also what is the LAG of the TTs gonna be like?
I dunno, you tell me! Actually assuming similar experience with other small twin turbo V8 setups the lag should be either negligable or non-existant. You put your foot in it and it just up and *hauls*.

Quick Reply: SRT TWIN TURBO's IS,GS,SC YES U DAMN RIGHT! Now I'm gonna be broke...