Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SRT TWIN TURBO's IS,GS,SC YES U DAMN RIGHT! Now I'm gonna be broke...

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-02, 11:46 AM
ShowGSLuVv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

all i have to say is "Uh oh"
Old 07-28-02, 01:06 PM
Mariusz
Lead Lap

Default Re: Re: Re: TT for 15k-get real!

Originally posted by tinygs

Well put M......and accurate. I may have missed this from above, but what type of twin turbo's are these going to be??
The singles that SRT is using on the IS, GS3 are going to be TO4 right.....
TIA, Tiny
I'm gonna let Mo comment on the specs when he is ready. I don't want to release any info he might not want posted or else he will try to run me down with his GS.
Old 07-28-02, 01:29 PM
Mariusz
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Mr Johnson
Mariusz: It wouldn't surprise me if he's talking about Sound Performance. They've proven what they can do on a Supra but as you say I don't think they have ever done any real V8 work. If it's someone else I'd love to hear though.
It would surprise me a little as Larry would have mentioned something when we were discussing rebuilding my tranny. However, you are absolutely right as they do some great work on Supras. Their newest "bulletproof" tranny for the Supra is supposed to handle 1K RWHP reliably. Not to mention the 1K+ RWHP Supra they have recently dynoed. Haven't heard one bad thing about these guys.
Old 07-28-02, 01:44 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally posted by logicbomb
i believe that a typical turbo setup would actually use more gas then a supercharger. The supercharger is belt driven but begins to ad boost imediately where a turbo setup can actually cause a loss at lowerer rpm. Hp can not improve MPG figures but torque can. If you have more torque at a lower rpm than you can actually improve normal driving MPG numbers. I have seen many vehicles improve gas milage by adding a superchager.

also using torque to get better MPG numbers is commonly practiced in many vehicles. BMW showed a 3-4 mpg increase by using 3/4 throttle and short 2000 rpm shifts. the enitre reason that the corvette gets 20+ MPG is that the car during normal driving conditions shifts from 1st DIRECTLY to 4th utilizing the low end torque of the vehicle. only during harder driving will the computer let you into 2nd and 3rd.
Ok, you probably mean well but you are mistaken. Peak MPG is achieved when an engine is operating under vacuum NOT boost. Adding a boost producing device (supercharger or turbocharger) will NOT improve mileage. A supercharger increases accessory drag and turbochargers increase exhaust backpressure. You are VERY lucky to not loose MPG with either. Torque and power at a given RPM at a given VACUUM are dependent on the entire system including manifolding, cam timing, ignition timing, fuel delivery, combustion chamber efficiency, thermal efficiency, etc.

Furthermore there are 2 main supercharger types, positive displacement (roots, Eaton) and centrifugal (Vortech, Powerdyne, ATI, SRT). Most aftermarket supercharger systems are of the centrifugal compressor (CC) design. Most factory superchargers are of the positive displacement (PD) design. Actually the term "supercharging" refers to forcing an engine to flow more than 100% of its volumetric efficiency. A turbo is actually a exhaust turbine powered supercharger.

Now... which is best? This is ENTIRELY dependent on the engineering and installation of the COMPLETE SYSTEM. You can compare one supercharger system against another turbosystem and see more power from the supercharger BUT all in all turbosystems have the capacity to be the MOST efficient and powerful. During their peak UNrestricted heyday of the late 1980s, turbocharged F1 cars made upwards of 1000hp per LITER!!! These engines were limited to 1.5 liters and in qualifying trim made as much as 1500hp :eek: :eek: :eek: IF properly engineered... BIG IF... a turbosystem is the most reliable power producer known including nitrous. WAY more than a typical aftermarket supercharger. CC style designs RARELY go 20,000 miles without needing a rebuild. PD (Eaton) units are good to as much as 100k... turbos can and DO go hundreds of THOUSANDS of miles, just look at the diesel fleets. I personally had a turbocharger and engine with OVER 210,000 miles and BOTH worked very good and ran at 20psi daily.

Last edited by JBrady; 07-28-02 at 01:50 PM.
Old 07-28-02, 04:06 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally posted by jbrady

Ok, you probably mean well but you are mistaken. Peak MPG is achieved when an engine is operating under vacuum NOT boost. Adding a boost producing device (supercharger or turbocharger) will NOT improve mileage. A supercharger increases accessory drag and turbochargers increase exhaust backpressure. You are VERY lucky to not loose MPG with either. Torque and power at a given RPM at a given VACUUM are dependent on the entire system including manifolding, cam timing, ignition timing, fuel delivery, combustion chamber efficiency, thermal efficiency, etc.

Furthermore there are 2 main supercharger types, positive displacement (roots, Eaton) and centrifugal (Vortech, Powerdyne, ATI, SRT). Most aftermarket supercharger systems are of the centrifugal compressor (CC) design. Most factory superchargers are of the positive displacement (PD) design. Actually the term "supercharging" refers to forcing an engine to flow more than 100% of its volumetric efficiency. A turbo is actually a exhaust turbine powered supercharger.

Now... which is best? This is ENTIRELY dependent on the engineering and installation of the COMPLETE SYSTEM. You can compare one supercharger system against another turbosystem and see more power from the supercharger BUT all in all turbosystems have the capacity to be the MOST efficient and powerful. During their peak UNrestricted heyday of the late 1980s, turbocharged F1 cars made upwards of 1000hp per LITER!!! These engines were limited to 1.5 liters and in qualifying trim made as much as 1500hp :eek: :eek: :eek: IF properly engineered... BIG IF... a turbosystem is the most reliable power producer known including nitrous. WAY more than a typical aftermarket supercharger. CC style designs RARELY go 20,000 miles without needing a rebuild. PD (Eaton) units are good to as much as 100k... turbos can and DO go hundreds of THOUSANDS of miles, just look at the diesel fleets. I personally had a turbocharger and engine with OVER 210,000 miles and BOTH worked very good and ran at 20psi daily.
Well said.
Old 07-28-02, 05:50 PM
BadBtsz4u
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Mariusz
Someone ban this 1 post wonder with his ghey attorneys. -> clrippedoff
Actually he did get ripped off but I beleive it was strictly at the hands of mkilty.

Remember the group buy for the superchargers that was arranged by kilty right before they came out. Well he paid for one, again likely pd. mkilty directly, and never received the product.

mkilty also sold me the ati procharger setup and didnt include all that was promised and it because of his blatant deception it ended up costing me more than it should of to get it installed properly.

Anyways in defense of what he said about X it was not X's fault but strictly Mike Kilty's(former cl administrator- current low life thief)

Last edited by BadBtsz4u; 07-28-02 at 05:51 PM.
Old 07-28-02, 06:04 PM
Mariusz
Lead Lap

Originally posted by BadBtsz4u

Actually he did get ripped off but I beleive it was strictly at the hands of mkilty.

Remember the group buy for the superchargers that was arranged by kilty right before they came out. Well he paid for one, again likely pd. mkilty directly, and never received the product.

mkilty also sold me the ati procharger setup and didnt include all that was promised and it because of his blatant deception it ended up costing me more than it should of to get it installed properly.

Anyways in defense of what he said about X it was not X's fault but strictly Mike Kilty's(former cl administrator- current low life thief)
OK. But there is a big difference between not having a product delivered by a third party reseller (in this case Mkilty) and coming out on the forum calling SRT a bunch of crooks and especially pointing the finger at "Mo" (as he so gently put it) Also, if this happened when Mkilty was around, why come on a year later and start posting same threads multiple times all over the forum while not even purchasing the product directly from SRT. I'm sorry, but this just doesn't add up for me. Unless his ridiculous claims can be justified by him, this nonesense should be deleted.
Old 07-28-02, 06:48 PM
BadBtsz4u
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Mariusz

OK. But there is a big difference between not having a product delivered by a third party reseller (in this case Mkilty) and coming out on the forum calling SRT a bunch of crooks and especially pointing the finger at "Mo" (as he so gently put it) Also, if this happened when Mkilty was around, why come on a year later and start posting same threads multiple times all over the forum while not even purchasing the product directly from SRT. I'm sorry, but this just doesn't add up for me. Unless his ridiculous claims can be justified by him, this nonesense should be deleted.
ahh what do you care anyways All I have to say is

DUDE YOUR GETTIN A TWINTURBO
Old 07-28-02, 11:58 PM
Mariusz
Lead Lap

Originally posted by BadBtsz4u

ahh what do you care anyways All I have to say is

DUDE YOUR GETTIN A TWINTURBO

LMAO.
Old 07-30-02, 01:32 PM
lexlyf
Lead Lap

LMAOx2
Old 08-27-02, 01:44 PM
LexMan237
Driver School Candidate

Default TT for 430??

I was just wondering, I am probably going to be purchasing a GS430 soon, and I would like to know if the TT from SRT will work for the 430? And if not, how hard will it be to custom-fit the TT onto a 430? Thanks in advance for any help guys!

Old 08-27-02, 02:00 PM
RacingAristo

everything is not hard as long as you have plenty of $$.
Old 08-27-02, 06:30 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Originally posted by RacingAristo
everything is not hard as long as you have plenty of $$.
Like $20K! :eek:
Old 08-27-02, 09:05 PM
RacingAristo

Like I said, everything is possible as long as you have some dough.
Old 08-28-02, 12:02 AM
Francis K
Racer

Default ummm...

sorry to rain on your guys parade.....but wouldn't it be much much much cheaper and relativley more practical to drop a 2JZ-GTE in there. We know it fits rather easily and at stock internals and all can hold upwards off 700hp.

Quick Reply: SRT TWIN TURBO's IS,GS,SC YES U DAMN RIGHT! Now I'm gonna be broke...