Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SRT TWIN TURBO's IS,GS,SC YES U DAMN RIGHT! Now I'm gonna be broke...

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-02, 06:40 PM
jimxo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Mr Johnson

Superchargers are driven off a pulley that is connected through a belt to your engine. Therefore the engine provides the power to spin the supercharger. Engine revs faster, supercharger spins faster. Put a smaller pulley on the supercharger and you get faster spinning so more boost.

Turbos are driven off the exhaust gasses. That's why you see new manifolds designed for inclusion of the turbo and that's why the pre-cats usually disappear and the smog thing becomes an issue (Did I mention there is a lot of heat involved?).

Therefore a supercharged car would use more gas because you are always driving the supercharger even when you aren't "in" a boost condition. Fancy cars like the Mercedes AMG C32 have an electrical clutch that decouples the drive of the supercharger so that it doesn't really drag the engine. As soon as the foot goes down the clutch engages and viola, you have boost.

I dunno, you tell me! Actually assuming similar experience with other small twin turbo V8 setups the lag should be either negligable or non-existant. You put your foot in it and it just up and *hauls*.

So what your saying is you would go with the Turbo over the SC if you had to do it over again?
Old 07-26-02, 09:19 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by jimxo

So what your saying is you would go with the Turbo over the SC if you had to do it over again?
With a caveat, yep!

The caveat is that a SC car has a better chance of passing the smog tests. I want my car legal, so the turbo could be an issue depending on how Mo has it worked out. However I know that IL just instituted OBD II emissions testing. We used to use a dyno and now they are going to read the data straight from the OBD II. I think we can work around that!

I believe the turbo will provide more torque down low and more power up high (sweet!) and be quieter in the process. What's not to love?
Old 07-27-02, 12:17 AM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Vlad_Stein
TT setup... good news for wild children everywhere

Is that going to be street-legal (is it going to pass emissions, does MO have a CARB number)?

Also, should the engine bushings also be replaced when upgrading to this kind of horsepower?
Doubt it very much...It will fail the visual faster then 3com's stock hitting zero.

you'll just have to find a friend to help ya out with da smog. And no, I have no friends.
Old 07-27-02, 01:07 AM
logicbomb
Driver School Candidate

i believe that a typical turbo setup would actually use more gas then a supercharger. The supercharger is belt driven but begins to ad boost imediately where a turbo setup can actually cause a loss at lowerer rpm. Hp can not improve MPG figures but torque can. If you have more torque at a lower rpm than you can actually improve normal driving MPG numbers. I have seen many vehicles improve gas milage by adding a superchager.

also using torque to get better MPG numbers is commonly practiced in many vehicles. BMW showed a 3-4 mpg increase by using 3/4 throttle and short 2000 rpm shifts. the enitre reason that the corvette gets 20+ MPG is that the car during normal driving conditions shifts from 1st DIRECTLY to 4th utilizing the low end torque of the vehicle. only during harder driving will the computer let you into 2nd and 3rd.
Old 07-27-02, 01:12 AM
Mariusz
Lead Lap

Originally posted by meanboy
Doubt it very much...It will fail the visual faster then 3com's stock hitting zero.

you'll just have to find a friend to help ya out with da smog. And no, I have no friends.
What visual? The turbos are mounted underneath the engine. Lol.

Actually assuming similar experience with other small twin turbo V8 setups the lag should be either negligable or non-existant.
Absolutely. That's the best part about mounting twins on the V8. I can see envy from the inline6 owners already Although the figures have not been released yet, the turbos should start spooling from about 3000RPM (unofficial, so don't quote me on this). :eek: :eek:

Last edited by Mariusz; 07-27-02 at 01:14 AM.
Old 07-27-02, 09:39 AM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Hmmmm..

You ever hear of a flashlight?
Old 07-27-02, 10:09 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

sounds very cool guys! im happy for all you future TT owners!!!

as for the whole Inline-6 thign.. envy yes...

but just remember the 2JZ is known to hold high HP levels without any problems... due to toyota design im sure the 4.0 should have no problems either but that would be my only concern.

As for turbo lag, the 4.0 or 4.3 will win hands down!! :eek:
Old 07-27-02, 08:11 PM
onefastjap
Rookie

Originally posted by tinygs

That looks to be 15k+! Guess you REALLY gotta pay if you want to play.............5K in SupraTT gets you 500+ RWHP.......but they already have the two stock turbos, so that eliminates roughly the first 8k....
HOW?
Old 07-27-02, 09:50 PM
jimxo
Pole Position

Default TT for 15k-get real!

Who in there right mind would lay out that kind a coin without pulling the engine and building it out from scratch. The most I would spend would be 10k and even that may be high.

There is a high performance shop here in Chicago that will get me 750 HP for 10-11k by rebuilding the stock motor.

Last edited by jimxo; 07-27-02 at 09:53 PM.
Old 07-28-02, 02:57 AM
Mariusz
Lead Lap

Default Re: TT for 15k-get real!

Originally posted by jimxo
Who in there right mind would lay out that kind a coin without pulling the engine and building it out from scratch. The most I would spend would be 10k and even that may be high.

There is a high performance shop here in Chicago that will get me 750 HP for 10-11k by rebuilding the stock motor.
You think you can just get 750RWHP by rebuilding the stock motor? If so, you are surely wrong. If this shop is telling you that they can get you 750RWHP (or 750HP for that matter) for a GS4 TT or RX TT, I would bet my car this is BS. As a matter of fact, I would love to take their number down and speak with them in detail about their TT setup that they claim they can do for 10-11K. If you have their number, please pm it to me. Also, please forgive my skepticizm as I've heard all the "Yea, we can do it" lines, but no one has actually done a TT GS untill now. If you think 15K for a TT setup in the GS is outrageous, take a look at the COMPLETE HKS2835 twin TT setup for the Supra or point out where I was wrong in my calculations above. Don't get me wrong, this is a lot of money and appeals mostly to the HP freaks, but then GS4TT is not for everyone either.
Old 07-28-02, 03:36 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Mariusz: It wouldn't surprise me if he's talking about Sound Performance. They've proven what they can do on a Supra but as you say I don't think they have ever done any real V8 work. If it's someone else I'd love to hear though.
Old 07-28-02, 04:39 AM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by onefastjap

HOW?
How?? Simple.....BPU++NOS=500RWHP on stock twins all day long.......

Last edited by tinygs; 07-28-02 at 05:08 AM.
Old 07-28-02, 05:01 AM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Re: TT for 15k-get real!

Originally posted by Mariusz

You think you can just get 750RWHP by rebuilding the stock motor? If so, you are surely wrong. If this shop is telling you that they can get you 750RWHP (or 750HP for that matter) for a GS4 TT or RX TT, I would bet my car this is BS. As a matter of fact, I would love to take their number down and speak with them in detail about their TT setup that they claim they can do for 10-11K. If you have their number, please pm it to me. Also, please forgive my skepticizm as I've heard all the "Yea, we can do it" lines, but no one has actually done a TT GS untill now. If you think 15K for a TT setup in the GS is outrageous, take a look at the COMPLETE HKS2835 twin TT setup for the Supra or point out where I was wrong in my calculations above. Don't get me wrong, this is a lot of money and appeals mostly to the HP freaks, but then GS4TT is not for everyone either.

Well put M......and accurate. I may have missed this from above, but what type of twin turbo's are these going to be??
The singles that SRT is using on the IS, GS3 are going to be TO4 right.....
TIA, Tiny

Last edited by tinygs; 07-28-02 at 05:02 AM.
Old 07-28-02, 07:54 AM
LexCiting
Lead Lap

Here we go! lol

We will have to see how many other places say that they can make the TT for the GS4. It is funny that I haven't heard of anyone willing to do this mod, especially on a Lex V8. I actually have only found ONE SC400 that had twin turbo on it. I am not talking about an engine transplant (thats cheating!!!! lol). I am talking stock V8 motor, that is modded to handle twin turbos. Haven't seen it.....until now. And I do mean SEE, not read,not hear of, but SEEN.

Last edited by LexCiting; 07-28-02 at 07:55 AM.
Old 07-28-02, 08:57 AM
stephen0917
Driver School Candidate

Is this available as of now for the 430?

Quick Reply: SRT TWIN TURBO's IS,GS,SC YES U DAMN RIGHT! Now I'm gonna be broke...