Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Honest question: IS HKS Hi-Power Rice?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-10, 10:02 AM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Anything obnoxious and some what out of the ordinary in a bad way (loud noises, annoying stickers, retarded wings, etc.) is considered RICE to the non enthusiast. So to some who know cars, and i mean the ones who REALLY know what the hell HKS even is, will say NO its not rice. But to the average Joe, yes this is ****ing rice.
Old 10-28-10, 10:41 AM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by edgeucated
The HKS is not rice. Because "rice" stands for racing inspired cosmetic enhancements. Therefore rice things are mods that make your car look like it can go faster but in reality dont. I believe the HKS adds at least 1 hp. Haha, so in my opinion it does make the car faster, so it is not a "rice" mod.

if it makes any difference, I do not own an HKS exhaust, because IMO its ugly (but i can save that for another thread)

whered you get that definition of rice from? not all rice is race inspired. what about neon tubes like street glow, altezza style taillights, lambo doors etc. they dont fit your definition.

sorry for the offtopic
Old 10-28-10, 10:45 AM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think it would be rice to put a loud exhaust on a 2nd Gen because the 2nd Gen is a Luxury Car not a Tuner Race Car. like trying to put a Carbon Fiber hood on a ES.
Old 10-28-10, 11:15 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ApokC
Im actually looking for a catback HKS exhaust. Where did you get yours?
correction.

HKS does not manufacture/retail a "catback" exhaust system for the 2is. as a matter of fact, almost no one sells a full "catback" system. almost everything on the market is an axle-back application. a search through the 2is section would have confirmed that for you, but i thought i'd point that out while i'm already addressing your post.

you have two options:

1. joe-z/PTS. true cat-back system.

2. mate an axle-back system w/ an aftermarket mid-pipe (megan, invidia).

and you can order an exhaust system from approved CL vendors.
Old 10-28-10, 11:29 AM
busdepot
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To the OP, you can have radars in Canada. Ontario does not equal Canada

You're driving a Lexus now, people aren't going to assume since you have a big exhaust that's it's going to be rice. If you don't want suttle, I can't think of a better exhaust than the HiPower HKS. I wanted suttle so I went with the Tanabe. Luckily for the 2IS, it's harder to find an exhaust that would be considered rice, than one that would be considered 'nice'. Almost all of the main exhausts available for this car are pretty decent. No matter what you have, or what choice you made, I can't really see anyone knocking you. Except for that crap on ebay...
Old 10-28-10, 07:54 PM
UmattWayO
Driver

Originally Posted by busdepot
To the OP, you can have radars in Canada. Ontario does not equal Canada

You're driving a Lexus now, people aren't going to assume since you have a big exhaust that's it's going to be rice. If you don't want suttle, I can't think of a better exhaust than the HiPower HKS. I wanted suttle so I went with the Tanabe. Luckily for the 2IS, it's harder to find an exhaust that would be considered rice, than one that would be considered 'nice'. Almost all of the main exhausts available for this car are pretty decent. No matter what you have, or what choice you made, I can't really see anyone knocking you. Except for that crap on ebay...
Thanks for the correction, I meant to say Ontario. My bad.
Old 10-28-10, 08:25 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Who cares what people thinks, if someone on the street point at you and say "haha stupid ricer", then obviously they don't know ***** about exhaust systems and brand superiority, which just shows arrogance and deep in your heart you know they're stupid. =)
Old 10-28-10, 08:29 PM
soulsoarer
Pole Position

I have it and I like it. The drone doesn't bother me and if it wasn't for the forum I wouldn't even know about it. I drive with music on all the time and this compare to my bike exhaust is nothing. The tips are a little big I guess but nothing to crazy and with a rear lip on the back it looks proportion enough.
Old 10-29-10, 10:23 PM
UmattWayO
Driver

I just installed it today, and at first I loved it.
Then I don't if its just me, but it got louder, MUCH LOUDER..
now I don't know if I like it or not anymore.. it really is cabin drone galore..
my gf says it gives her a headache, guess I'll have to get some silencers.
Just want to make sure, does silencers affect performance in any way considering i'm blocking the exhaust?
Old 10-30-10, 10:26 PM
busdepot
Lead Lap

You're talking like 1 hp maybe for silencers being added. I wouldn't worry about it. There's a pretty good community of IS's in toronto from what I can see on the regional boards. get in touch with some of the other members to hear how their's sound with the different exhausts.

Or you could just tell your gf to bring a cd
Old 10-31-10, 11:15 AM
650IS350
Lead Lap

Silencers DO NOT affect performance ( it's not like axle backs really add much performace) but they REALLY tone down the affects of cabin drone
Old 10-31-10, 11:35 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

It's hard to define what "rice" really is because people use the term so inconsistently. Is the HKS Hi-power exhaust rice? I really don't know, but I've noticed that many people give praise to a canister-type exhaust on a Lexus, but it's considered 'rice' on another car like a Honda Accord, Scion Tc, etc even if they were equipped with the same exhaust. There term "ricer" is so loosely defined nowadays that seldom do I use it anymore.
Old 10-31-10, 11:38 AM
rselby
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was just looking at exhaust...HKS was too raspy for me(makes me think rice when I hear it)...I liked the sound of the greddy..seems to have a deeper tone.
Old 10-31-10, 07:33 PM
TokerIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Maybe a little, the mufflers are a little too big, i think it makes it look rice just a bit.
Old 11-05-10, 10:40 PM
sop
Rookie

i believe that it is a nice exhaust. i have one myself. i noticed that it seems to be louder when it is cold outside. im from the northeast and have seen the difference in note of the exhaust compared to summer and winter. my friends think it looks and sounds nice. i still do not think that it is rice. if people know there information, it is not rice.

Quick Reply: Honest question: IS HKS Hi-Power Rice?