Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Honest question: IS HKS Hi-Power Rice?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-10, 09:50 PM
UmattWayO
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honest question: IS HKS Hi-Power Rice?

okay before everyone starts flaming, let me lay down my reasoning first.
I have nothing against this exhaust. I bought one, didn't install it yet tho. This whole rice question came to me just recently. I know that a 700 dollar Cat back exhaust isn't "rice" but considering what people put in the rice category is huge exhaust tips with loud sound going at like 30mph, doesn't the Hi-Power kinda fit that description? I read in forum that it's loudest around 2.5k-3k rpm, which is pretty much acceleration from dead stop. It's kind of hard to stay under that in a 250 when it's pretty slow already. It's do-able to stay under, but it's hard to be gentle on the gas all the time from a dead stop. I mean, people who don't know what the exhaust is just sees it as huge tips with loud sound (fart cannon?). I don't wanna be torn apart by comments, its just an honest question. You might say, "then why did you buy this, get something else!" Well, I don't know honestly, the only thing I want to know is does the hi-power seem rice. Again, I haven't installed it yet. So I don't know how it sounds like in person or how loud it is. I'm just wondering based on what I've read here on CL. Thanks for opinions!
Old 10-27-10, 09:57 PM
mou
Pole Position

Doesn't seem rice to me, the ones I think are rice are the ones from local stores like autozone
Old 10-27-10, 10:01 PM
BORIS350
Driver

i dont think its rice im actually thinking about buying one cuz i miss my old greddy tic exhaust sound on my g37s..
its very simple if you like how it looks and sounds install it if u dont then why did u get it in the first place...
Old 10-27-10, 10:02 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The HKS is not rice. Because "rice" stands for racing inspired cosmetic enhancements. Therefore rice things are mods that make your car look like it can go faster but in reality dont. I believe the HKS adds at least 1 hp. Haha, so in my opinion it does make the car faster, so it is not a "rice" mod.

if it makes any difference, I do not own an HKS exhaust, because IMO its ugly (but i can save that for another thread)
Old 10-27-10, 10:04 PM
UmattWayO
Driver

You're right, I personally like how it looks and sounds thats why I got it.
But the question has nothing to do with me liking it or not, I want to know where it stands in terms of riceyness. =]
Old 10-27-10, 10:44 PM
BORIS350
Driver

Originally Posted by UmattWayO
You're right, I personally like how it looks and sounds thats why I got it.
But the question has nothing to do with me liking it or not, I want to know where it stands in terms of riceyness. =]
edgeucated just answerd ur question.
Old 10-27-10, 10:54 PM
Frosty250
Lexus Test Driver

If you get an universal eBay muffler tip, that's Rice. HKS Hi-Power, that's Nice!
Old 10-27-10, 11:03 PM
UmattWayO
Driver

haha thanks a lot guys, appreciate it!
Old 10-27-10, 11:05 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by UmattWayO
okay before everyone starts flaming, let me lay down my reasoning first.
I have nothing against this exhaust. I bought one, didn't install it yet tho. This whole rice question came to me just recently. I know that a 700 dollar Cat back exhaust isn't "rice" but considering what people put in the rice category is huge exhaust tips with loud sound going at like 30mph, doesn't the Hi-Power kinda fit that description? I read in forum that it's loudest around 2.5k-3k rpm, which is pretty much acceleration from dead stop. It's kind of hard to stay under that in a 250 when it's pretty slow already. It's do-able to stay under, but it's hard to be gentle on the gas all the time from a dead stop. I mean, people who don't know what the exhaust is just sees it as huge tips with loud sound (fart cannon?). I don't wanna be torn apart by comments, its just an honest question. You might say, "then why did you buy this, get something else!" Well, I don't know honestly, the only thing I want to know is does the hi-power seem rice. Again, I haven't installed it yet. So I don't know how it sounds like in person or how loud it is. I'm just wondering based on what I've read here on CL. Thanks for opinions!
1. the HKS hi-power exhaust system is an axle-back system, not a cat-back system (i.e. joe-z/PTS).

2. i haven't heard an aftermarket axle-back exhaust system that's louder than the HKS hi-power, so it's very likely that it IS the loudest. however, it's moreso @ WOT. however, from idle to 3k it's more of a low rumble + cabin drone.

it's definitely not something for every 2is owner, from the way it looks and sounds.

with all due respect, second-guessing your purchase doesn't change the fact that you already bought it. asking others for their opinion after the fact will only complicate the matter. ultimately, you should decide what it's worth to you.

moving forward, i have this to offer: "think twice, buy once."

thanks for reading.
The following users liked this post:
Bryon13 (07-27-20)
Old 10-27-10, 11:13 PM
UmattWayO
Driver

Originally Posted by projectdna
1. the HKS hi-power exhaust system is an axle-back system, not a cat-back system (i.e. joe-z/PTS).

2. i haven't heard an aftermarket axle-back exhaust system that's louder than the HKS hi-power, so it's very likely that it IS the loudest. however, it's moreso @ WOT. however, from idle to 3k it's more of a low rumble + cabin drone.

it's definitely not something for every 2is owner, from the way it looks and sounds.

with all due respect, second-guessing your purchase doesn't change the fact that you already bought it. asking others for their opinion after the fact will only complicate the matter. ultimately, you should decide what it's worth to you.

moving forward, i have this to offer: "think twice, buy once."

thanks for reading.
Thanks for your input, but I can always sell it if anything, since it's still BNIB, it'd be easier too. I'm 20 so I guess I won't mind the drone too much, I just wanted some reassurance if you will, that this exhaust isn't "race inspired cosmetic enhancement". I've watched several "ricer excuses" videos on youtube for jokes and this is when it hit me that I have an exhaust that's pretty much huge tip and loud. Anyway, I got the reassurance that I needed, so thanks!
Old 10-27-10, 11:14 PM
trixxx519
Lexus Test Driver

i have this exhaust and i love it
the tip might look seem big but nothing compared to those ricer coffee cans
it actually seems pretty normal size because i have a rear lip which makes the exhaust tip seem a lot smaller than it really is
edit- heres an unclear pic, pic not down to level to capture the exhaust

Last edited by trixxx519; 10-27-10 at 11:18 PM.
Old 10-27-10, 11:17 PM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like rice, especially yemeni.
Old 10-27-10, 11:17 PM
UmattWayO
Driver

Originally Posted by trixxx519
i have this exhaust and i love it
the tip might look seem big but nothing compared to those ricer coffee cans
it actually seems pretty normal size because i have a rear lip which makes the exhaust tip seem a lot smaller than it really is
You're right! What really won me over was seeing how well the tip fits with the INGS rear. It seemed like it was made perfectly to fit around the exhaust tip, so I'm planning to get the INGS rear lip. Thanks!
Old 10-27-10, 11:18 PM
aznpapaya
Lead Lap

I had the Hi-Power for almost a year now and I've got nothing but complement on it, though i admit it can be a little loud on a cold start and the cabin drone can be a little annoying but then the loud noise coming from a cold start only last a min. max and i usually drive around with the music on really loud so i barely notice the cabin drone. also there's a silencer that you can buy to eliminate/reduce cabin drone. but then to each his own, my advise install it and drive for a week or so and see how you like it. also it look perfect with the GFX rear lip, if thats something you want to get further down the line.

I know the Hi-Power is a "nice" exhaust and not "rice" when a highway patrolman is giving me a speeding ticket for speeding and then completing my exhaust, saying, " thats a really nice exhaust you got there, well here's your ticket."

Last edited by aznpapaya; 10-27-10 at 11:23 PM.
Old 10-27-10, 11:32 PM
UmattWayO
Driver

Originally Posted by aznpapaya
I had the Hi-Power for almost a year now and I've got nothing but complement on it, though i admit it can be a little loud on a cold start and the cabin drone can be a little annoying but then the loud noise coming from a cold start only last a min. max and i usually drive around with the music on really loud so i barely notice the cabin drone. also there's a silencer that you can buy to eliminate/reduce cabin drone. but then to each his own, my advise install it and drive for a week or so and see how you like it. also it look perfect with the GFX rear lip, if thats something you want to get further down the line.

I know the Hi-Power is a "nice" exhaust and not "rice" when a highway patrolman is giving me a speeding ticket for speeding and then completing my exhaust, saying, " thats a really nice exhaust you got there, well here's your ticket."

Thanks for your input! I'll take your advice and try it on for a while first.
Haha, if I get pulled over for like that, I don't know whether to like him or hate him. I got pulled over once, now I'm pretty paranoid about speeding it sucks how we can't have the radar detectors here in Canada.

Quick Reply: Honest question: IS HKS Hi-Power Rice?