Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

What ECU/Piggyback works?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-10, 06:51 PM
Gaugster
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW

My 250 stock at WOT from 3k to 5k runs at stoich. 14.7 – 15.0 as measured by a tailpipe sniffer. At 5k it ramps down to ~13.0 until redline.

The headers alone at 5k and above leaned it out to ~13.5…. A/F was still stoich between 3k - 5k. No tune of course.
Old 11-03-10, 06:58 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Interesting about the headers. I'm installing the PPE headers next week so I guess I'll be retuning. Maybe no need for the SAFC with headers. I'll be adding back the fuel in the end, LOL
Old 11-03-10, 11:19 PM
pepos
Driver

Same thing on my 250
14.7 to 15.3 in all normal driving conditions.
12.5 to 13 at WOT and redline.
So that means that an SAFC will tune the AFR and the ECU won't bypass it?

Last edited by pepos; 11-03-10 at 11:34 PM.
Old 11-04-10, 03:15 PM
Gaugster
Advanced

Based on what HKS350 stated earlier, Yes the ECU won't detune at 75% throttle or higher. So basically is sounds like you can tune for open loop WOT condition.

But partial throttle conditions may still need somthing more. The FIC does have O2 sensor trimming iirc.
Old 11-05-10, 12:59 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HKS350
Interesting about the headers. I'm installing the PPE headers next week so I guess I'll be retuning. Maybe no need for the SAFC with headers. I'll be adding back the fuel in the end, LOL
HKS350 are you still running NOS on yours?

Last edited by GILLEXUS; 05-29-11 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-29-11, 10:22 AM
jedibow
Driver School Candidate

Default Any Update?

Originally Posted by 1990hondah
Have any of the piggybacks out there been tested? several come to mind....AEM FIC, Emanage,haltech..Just wondering!
My other car is an Evo and we have Ecuflash for the stock ECU and it works great! Is there any Ecu flashing software available? or is a piggyback still the only option?
Old 05-29-11, 11:50 AM
pepos
Driver

Originally Posted by jedibow
My other car is an Evo and we have Ecuflash for the stock ECU and it works great! Is there any Ecu flashing software available? or is a piggyback still the only option?
Piggy is the only option
Old 05-29-11, 04:26 PM
jedibow
Driver School Candidate

Default EcuFlash???

Originally Posted by pepos
Piggy is the only option
I know with my EcuFlash I have tuned both mitsubishi's and Subaru's, I read in another thread that you can have your car flashed at the dealership so it must be a flash based ecu program, maybe I will try reading the map image with my laptop and see if I can pull anything down...

Nobody has tried diassembly of the stock ECU I take it???

George
Old 05-29-11, 04:38 PM
pepos
Driver

I know with my EcuFlash I have tuned both mitsubishi's and Subaru's, I read in another thread that you can have your car flashed at the dealership so it must be a flash based ecu program, maybe I will try reading the map image with my laptop and see if I can pull anything down...

Nobody has tried diassembly of the stock ECU I take it???

George
The dealer can only update/flash the ECU with the Techstream software with a standard procedure with the updates provided by Toyota.
There are two updates so far from Toyota for the 2IS regarding emmisions and o2 malfunction.
The ECU is locked and even with Techstream you can't download or map anything.
Old 05-29-11, 04:52 PM
jedibow
Driver School Candidate

I found this really quickly...

I have an openport 2.0 cable, so I will try to see if I can communicate with the toyota ECU using the below software...

https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfo....toyota.com%2F

George
Old 05-29-11, 04:54 PM
jedibow
Driver School Candidate

Default Dataloggin???

The dealer can only update/flash the ECU with the Techstream software with a standard procedure with the updates provided by Toyota.
There are two updates so far from Toyota for the 2IS regarding emmisions and o2 malfunction.
The ECU is locked and even with Techstream you can't download or map anything.
I just read that, however if we could use the OBDII port for dataloggin it may save many people from having to use a dyno inorder to tune a piggyback, and we will also determine is piggybacks are effecting timing which I'm sure with the supercharger you would be interested in...

George
Old 05-29-11, 05:00 PM
pepos
Driver

I just read that, however if we could use the OBDII port for dataloggin it may save many people from having to use a dyno inorder to tune a piggyback, and we will also determine is piggybacks are effecting timing which I'm sure with the supercharger you would be interested in...

George
This is another story.
Piggy's can work just fine, i'm running on MAPECU2 for some time now and going to upgrade with MAPECU3.
AFR and timing are the things that safely can be adjusted.
But in order to finetune you need to do it on a dyno.
Elias
Old 05-29-11, 05:06 PM
jedibow
Driver School Candidate

This is another story.
Piggy's can work just fine, i'm running on MAPECU2 for some time now and going to upgrade with MAPECU3.
AFR and timing are the things that safely can be adjusted.
But in order to finetune you need to do it on a dyno.
Elias
Not if you could datalog through the OBDII port with thte tactrix cable, however I noticed that you would need to pay a subscription of 55.00 USD in order to download and use the toyota software, this is a steep price... unless you can get your tune perfect in a two day period?

I know that piggy's work fine I had a 300 horsepower turbo'd nissan sentra that I used an Apexi S-AFC to tune, however at that time there wasn't anything to control timing so I had to adjust by decreading the total curve not just after boost arrived. With the MAPECU2 you are able to control timing?

George
Old 05-29-11, 08:53 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes with the mapecu3 you can adjust timing I believe. I'll be getting that bad boy soon too. I am hopin to put down 300whp with the mapecu and ppe header addition.
Old 05-29-11, 10:52 PM
pepos
Driver

Yes you can control timing and AFR on open loop.
If you want to control AFR on closed loop then you need the AFR calibrator also.

Quick Reply: What ECU/Piggyback works?