Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Exhaust and Air intake help

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-10, 10:12 AM
hrsmmn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust and Air intake help

Hey guys I just recently bought a 2010 Lexus IS 250 and I was wondering what is the best exhaust system out there and which air intake system will max my hp. Also what is a good website for buying these parts. I am looking for an exhaust that is loud. Is there anything else I can add to my car to increase its hp.
Old 12-05-10, 08:29 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by hrsmmn
Hey guys I just recently bought a 2010 Lexus IS 250 and I was wondering what is the best exhaust system out there and which air intake system will max my hp. Also what is a good website for buying these parts. I am looking for an exhaust that is loud. Is there anything else I can add to my car to increase its hp.

You're gonna get a lot of suggestions to use the search button since this has been discussed about 6,793 times already.

Here's the quick summary though:

Intake:

They all give between 5 and negative hp. The Joe Z intake is the cheapest among them and gives the 5, so I suggest you go with that unless you need to pass California emissions... in which case the F-sport is your only real option (gains should be similar to the Joe Z, just more expensive).

Exhaust:

Sticking with legal options you have a bunch of axle-backs. They will all give you about 7 hp. Prices range from the 600ish range (Tanabe- good build quality, but pretty quiet) to things like the F-sport (about twice as expensive, a bit louder, identical hp gains) with a bunch in between.

And as far as 100% legal ways to add hp... that's it.

Illegal you can do a full exhaust that deletes cats, that will give you a good 2-3 more hp than the axle-backs but those systems are all in the 1500ish buck range.... the Joe Z would be my recommendation there.

Also illegal- headers... PPE makes a set, probably something like $1000-ish installed. hp gains in the 15-20 range.

And then... that's it again. Short of nitrous (which works well, but it's illegal to drive around with hooked up all the time and only works in short bursts, and if you do it wrong destroys your engine and/or transmission) or a supercharger (which is like $6000 for about 40 hp) and tough to come by since the only company that made em stopped when they only sold like 4 of em ever.

Overall, the cheapest way, by far to add a lot of hp to an IS250 is to trade it in for an IS350.
Old 12-09-10, 08:45 PM
TLP_IS350
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what kurtz said lol
Old 12-13-10, 12:26 PM
getfunky
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kurt, in terms of noise. Which intake do you think sounds better? Fsport or JoeZ? Or a better question, if price wasn't an issue which intake would you choose? I see you have an fsport but I remember you mentioning that you only got it because you had a good deal on them. So i'm guessing Fsports are slightly better?

Last edited by getfunky; 12-13-10 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12-13-10, 05:48 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by getfunky
Kurt, in terms of noise. Which intake do you think sounds better? Fsport or JoeZ? Or a better question, if price wasn't an issue which intake would you choose? I see you have an fsport but I remember you mentioning that you only got it because you had a good deal on them. So i'm guessing Fsports are slightly better?
Yeah, I got my F-sport when it was not only on sale, but when MS was still giving like 35% cash-back on purchases, so the cost was nearly identical to a Joe Z plus a drop-in reusable filter...

If I was paying full price I'd get the Joe Z all day every day.

Sound-wise, left alone, the F-sport is certainly louder. But you can get the same sound out of the Joe Z by cutting a hole in the stock lower airbox to match the one in the F-sport lower airbox.
Old 12-13-10, 06:36 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Kurtz is right. Check Lex Tuners in the vendor section fro discounted F Sport stuff or Sewell Lexus for discounts once you register as a CL member.