Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

megan exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-10, 12:27 PM
pratik_10
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default megan exhaust

I'm pretty sure i am going to be getting the megan drift spec exhaust. I'm in my first year of college so don"t have too much money to spend on my car. Any way i have searched the forum and read all the threads about the exhaust. I still have some questions:

1. How loud is this set up compared to hks tanable greedy and f sport.
2. Are there any fitment issue with this exhaust since it is angled.
3. Where is the cheapest or best place to buy the exhaust.

http://www.meganracing.com/product_d...d=137&catid=16
Megan's website is asking 450 is there any where i could get it cheaper

thanks in advance guys
Old 12-15-10, 01:22 PM
KI_GSE21
Lead Lap

You can check with the vendors, either CircuitMS or TeamSNS.
They both have very competitive pricing and will put together the best deal possible for you. They can also get the product shipped very quickly as well.

There should not be any fitment issues, I have seen several members with it and no documentation of any fitment problems. It's a canister type exhaust system, so it will be on the slightly louder side of the spectrum.

HKS would be a close comparison as they feature a similar canister design. Actually, HKS is a very good company when it comes to exhaust systems. The Fsport is manufactured by HKS according to Lexus specs. HKS hands down for quality and sound, but will be more expensive relative to other systems.

Tanabe and Greddy feature an oval canister where the sound levels are not as pronounced as the canister designs. More subtle, smooth exhaust note, nothing super aggressive.

Megan Racing is ranked lower than Tanabe, Greddy, HKS, etc because they are not specialized in exhaust systems and probably has not built a reputation for that yet. However, it is an attractive alternative given it's affordability and mediocre quality.

Feel free to check out Youtube for some video clips of each of those systems. There are quite a few vids on Youtube to get a better understanding of what exhaust note you are after. =)
Old 12-15-10, 09:30 PM
Raralith
Intermediate

Exhaust sounds, I believe the current heirarchy of sound is HKS Hi-Power > Greedy/F-Sport > Tanable > Stock.

I find that Megan's aren't a whole lot popular on these forums, and for $450, you may consider finding a used Tanable for around that or maybe up $100 more since I believe they are $700 new. If you are more interested in looks and just want some shiny tips, consider just buying the tips themselves from Sewell for considerably less.
Old 12-15-10, 10:53 PM
JoeCombs
Pole Position

well i actually have the exhaust and i love it, its very loud, and makes a sick drone at 2,500rpm it shakes my cabin. quality is perfect i always keep her shiny and it is easily the most aggressive looking exhaust.
now i have a AWD so fitment was off by some, but that was only because its not made for the AWD IS
finnaly i got mine at hopupracing for 400$ free shipping
Old 12-16-10, 07:40 AM
DaXxJaPxX
Driver

I ordered mine on hopupracing a week ago, its coming in friday, hopefully getting it installed monday/tuesday. As far as sound, i can only speak from youtube videos, but with the resonators out, it has the deepest growl by far. I'll try n post a video of it when i get em if that'lll help with your decision. And as joe was saying, its doesnt fit the AWD perfectly, but who ever u get to install it can easily make the modification.
Old 12-16-10, 01:32 PM
aly250
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i ordered mine from assaultech i got it for $350
Old 12-16-10, 02:54 PM
DaXxJaPxX
Driver

yea, we got free shipping from hopup, so it probably washed out in the end.

Is there benefit(or not) to having an exhaust shop install a custom midpipe/rest of cat back vs ordering an ivindia/megan/brand name mid pipe?
Old 12-16-10, 07:04 PM
100plus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Noise - it's a bit loud, but not raspy.
Fitment - fits fine on my car, although it hangs a bit on the left (seems common with most exhausts, not just Megans)
Old 12-16-10, 08:52 PM
pratik_10
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JoeCombs
well i actually have the exhaust and i love it, its very loud, and makes a sick drone at 2,500rpm it shakes my cabin. quality is perfect i always keep her shiny and it is easily the most aggressive looking exhaust.
now i have a AWD so fitment was off by some, but that was only because its not made for the AWD IS
finnaly i got mine at hopupracing for 400$ free shipping
hey joe do u have just the megan exhaust or have you put in a mid pipe or something
Old 12-16-10, 08:53 PM
pratik_10
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 100plus

Noise - it's a bit loud, but not raspy.
Fitment - fits fine on my car, although it hangs a bit on the left (seems common with most exhausts, not just Megans)
could you may be post a video or something so i could hear it.
Old 12-18-10, 10:25 PM
Imnutz4jdm
Lexus Test Driver

i ll post the video of the megan on my car with no res on tuesday evening after i take delivery from 100plus =)
Old 12-18-10, 10:26 PM
Imnutz4jdm
Lexus Test Driver

res coming out on monday WOOHOO!!!
Old 12-20-10, 11:18 PM
KI_GSE21
Lead Lap

Glad to hear that a few owners of Megan racing exhausts are happy and satisfied with the fitment and overall quality. I guess they are overall good for the money and a price leader among the various exhaust options for the 2IS. Yet I am not sure how consistent their quality is because I heard their quality can be hit and miss. Nonetheless, bang for the buck exhaust system and decent exhaust note =)
Old 12-21-10, 05:01 AM
DaXxJaPxX
Driver

Just got my megan exhaust put on yesterday, and i would have to say i'm more than satisfied. I'll post a video later on this week, but IMO, it sounds better than any 250/350 i've come across on youtube/CL(if your looking for a deep and non-raspy tone). Had them cut the axle back piece from megan and go true dual from the secondary cats back, res deleted. Music to my ears
Old 12-22-10, 02:31 PM
KI_GSE21
Lead Lap

WoW, let's get a video clip of your true dual custom setup! Must free up quite of power there =)

Congrats !!!

Quick Reply: megan exhaust