Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

question on a 2JZ swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-10 | 03:41 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
What I meant by the VVTi GTE wiring being much easier is that it is almost a straight plug and play on the wiring harness. You just have to run 1-2 extra wires and that's it Basically you shouldn't need to pay anyone to do the wiring on a VVTi unless you don't know how to run a few wires lol. The only downside to the VVTi is that a majority of tuners out there don't know how to tune it or work with it.
hey jeff , how u been bro

listen need a direct answer to this .. i have done aristo gte swaps in the sc , so knowledge wise im good there , however getting ready to do for a friend on a 2000 gs 3

which motor should he get .. i want the wiring to be as simple as pie .. he will always be on stock twins no matter what 350 to 375 rwhp is more then enough for him also being a daily driver unlike my coupe

which is easier for him and most cost effective
Old 12-28-10 | 03:52 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

2JZ-GTE VVTi from a JDM Toyota Aristo V300
Old 12-28-10 | 05:27 PM
japspec
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexforlife
hey jeff , how u been bro

listen need a direct answer to this .. i have done aristo gte swaps in the sc , so knowledge wise im good there , however getting ready to do for a friend on a 2000 gs 3

which motor should he get .. i want the wiring to be as simple as pie .. he will always be on stock twins no matter what 350 to 375 rwhp is more then enough for him also being a daily driver unlike my coupe

which is easier for him and most cost effective
Didnt i tell you i know where there is a whole vvti aristo front clip and to tell your boy so the swap would be a piece of cake.
Old 12-29-10 | 02:43 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

2JZ-GTE VVTi from a JDM Toyota Aristo V300
jeff , could you briefly explain why a vvti wiring etc would be easier than a non vvti

Originally Posted by japspec
Didnt i tell you i know where there is a whole vvti aristo front clip and to tell your boy so the swap would be a piece of cake.
mark , thx brotha , i just pm'd you
Old 12-29-10 | 02:45 AM
SidhuGs300
Pole Position

wow....so much information, I am glad i joined this forum, I am still kind of confused on some of the information about different topics, but will get the hang of it in due time, thanks
Old 12-29-10 | 02:51 AM
LALEX1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexforlife
jeff , could you briefly explain why a vvti wiring etc would be easier than a non vvti
I would think the ecu in the 2gs would be easier to wire up to a vvti engine over a non vvti engine because the 2gs already came with a vvti engine stock.
Old 12-29-10 | 02:56 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LALEX1
I would think the ecu in the 2gs would be easier to wire up to a vvti engine over a non vvti engine because the 2gs already came with a vvti engine stock.
thats what i was thinking as well , but their were a few threads i read thru that either misquoted themselves stating the opposite or i read them wrong
Old 12-29-10 | 05:55 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

For a 98-00 and mid beginning year 2001 GS300's share the same ECU connectors as the Aristo V300. To do that swap, it's almost as simple as pulling the old engine, installing the new engine, remove Lexus ECU, install Aristo ECU, and click in the connectors. That's almost it in terms of the wiring. Of course you will have to figure out the driveshaft because they're slightly different. You just need to make sure there was no damage in the wiring harness from shipping and handling. Then you have to run a tachometer signal wire off of the igniter.

Now, for a non-VVTi GTE you will have some real fun beacuse the harness has no similarity at all to the VVTi bretheren. You will have to cut the entire wiring harness off and repin every single wire on there lol. The last time I counted, the number of wires to repin is over 200 lol.

The last swap in question is putting the VVTi GTE into a late mid-year 2001 to 2005 GS300. The difficutly level is in between the non-VVTi GTE and putting the motor in the 98-00 GS. Two connectors on the ECU are different and 4 of the body connectors are different. You only have to repin about 60-70 wires or so. This is a swap I might or might not be attempting in the future. I'm most likely not going to use the Aristo ECU because I will definately need to run a standalone to control a 1000rwhp+ engine. But if my plans change and I only want around 500-600hp then I'll be putting in the Aristo ECU

For those of you wondering if you can source a 2JZ-GTE VVTi motorset from a 02+ Aristo V300 and have it be plug and play for the 02+ GS300. The answer is no. Toyota changed the wiring harness for the Lexus 2G GS300 in 01/02 year and the Toyota Aristo V300 MK2 never changed the wiring harness for it's entire production range.
Old 12-29-10 | 06:34 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Just when I thought I wasn't going to mod the GS....
Old 12-29-10 | 08:13 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

For a 98-00 and mid beginning year 2001 GS300's share the same ECU connectors as the Aristo V300. To do that swap, it's almost as simple as pulling the old engine, installing the new engine, remove Lexus ECU, install Aristo ECU, and click in the connectors. That's almost it in terms of the wiring. Of course you will have to figure out the driveshaft because they're slightly different. You just need to make sure there was no damage in the wiring harness from shipping and handling. Then you have to run a tachometer signal wire off of the igniter.

Now, for a non-VVTi GTE you will have some real fun beacuse the harness has no similarity at all to the VVTi bretheren. You will have to cut the entire wiring harness off and repin every single wire on there lol. The last time I counted, the number of wires to repin is over 200 lol.

The last swap in question is putting the VVTi GTE into a late mid-year 2001 to 2005 GS300. The difficutly level is in between the non-VVTi GTE and putting the motor in the 98-00 GS. Two connectors on the ECU are different and 4 of the body connectors are different. You only have to repin about 60-70 wires or so. This is a swap I might or might not be attempting in the future. I'm most likely not going to use the Aristo ECU because I will definately need to run a standalone to control a 1000rwhp+ engine. But if my plans change and I only want around 500-600hp then I'll be putting in the Aristo ECU

For those of you wondering if you can source a 2JZ-GTE VVTi motorset from a 02+ Aristo V300 and have it be plug and play for the 02+ GS300. The answer is no. Toyota changed the wiring harness for the Lexus 2G GS300 in 01/02 year and the Toyota Aristo V300 MK2 never changed the wiring harness for it's entire production range.
^ This guy! lol Jeff always got the tech support down when it comes to the motor. Whatever he says, do it lol
Old 02-04-11 | 07:04 PM
Htowncory
Rookie

Jeff - great information, thank you for sharing.

For 2001 year GS300's, do you happen to know what the date is for the cutoff?

Im searching around for a GS300 to do this swap, and Id love to have the fairly straightforward wiring job compared to repinning wires! If I happen to find a 2001 that I like, I want to make sure I get the right build date 01 for the easy swap.

Thanks
Cory

Old 02-05-11 | 07:16 AM
Gs300chino
Rookie

just did the swap in my gs300 and went with the vvti gte swap more plug and play friendly they were charging me around $800 to wire up the non vvti 2jz gte swap so i went with the new motor and have no complains about it what so ever lol