Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

R2 exhaust Tanabe Help Need

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-10, 01:33 PM
Lexs350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R2 exhaust Tanabe Help Need

Hi Guys,

Will... I received my new Tanabe Exhaust. I'm in the middle of the install. No problems removing Stock Exhaust.

Running into alignment trouble where the New system mates with the old. It has two springs bolts holding the two together.

It appears there is a gap between the two metal flanges. I don't think the new exhaust pipe is going in all the way. When I tighten the two spring bolts, the spring compress all the way. Bolts are tight but still have flange gap. I can see the tan color gasket. But appears to have good seal. HEEEEELP

Any suggestions???? I tried tapping with mallet, push, pull to align the two pieces.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Back again, well I gone ahead and started the vehicle. Sounds good . I don't feel and leaks around the flange area. I guess...I did'nt take a good enough look before the removal to check if that gap was there to begin with. Note: thier is a good seal. The existing old gasket (cork I think) will not allow the two flanges to come closer together. Is this correct. My gut tells me no. This is my first time doing a exhaust install. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks CL MEMBERS !!!!!
Attached Thumbnails R2 exhaust Tanabe Help Need-img_0110.jpg   R2 exhaust Tanabe Help Need-img_0111.jpg  

Last edited by Lexs350; 12-31-10 at 02:39 PM.
Old 12-31-10, 02:52 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

the two metal flanges - one on the tanabe exhaust piping, and the other coming from the oem midpipe - will not touch.

i had this observation when i swapped exhaust systems: the end of the oem midpipe had a ridge along the inside diameter of the piping so as to create a seal with the exhaust system.

you shouldn't have any problems with the seal between the oem midpipe and the tanabe exhaust system as long as it's bolted up correctly. and from your pic, it looks like it was.
Old 12-31-10, 02:57 PM
Lexs350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@ ProjectDNA: Thank you kindly for your assistance and a quick reply. Cars still on Jacks.... so I guess it's safe to lower the vehicle and take it for a spend. This was my very first exhaust installed so you can imagine my concerns. Thanks again and have a great New Year. May this New Year brings us MUCH needed peace throughout our world.