Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Can't decide on the TC.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-02, 09:01 AM
GSman
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't decide on the TC.

Hi,

I currently have the TRD LSD on my 2001 GS430. I have read here that getting a TC will virtually eliminate the lag that currently exists when I floor-it from a stop. For those who already have the TC, particularly on a 2001 and up GS430, I have the following questions:

I've heard that the check engine light was coming on when the TC was installed on a 2001-2002 GS430? Has this issue been addressed and fixed? What was the check engine code? Possibly relating to excess slippage?

On a daily driver in traffic, will the car drive jerkier due to the higher slip?

At freeway speeds, when accelerating to pass, is there any slippage?

What is the stall speed set at? Is it the same for all GS TC's?

How much did your MPG drop?

And finally, does the TC really remove the lag and are you happy with the mod?

Thanks,
Old 08-09-02, 10:06 AM
RacingAristo

Clark,

You should have taken a ride in my GS last time I visited you and it could answer some of your questions. If you are coming to the meeting, you can take a ride too.

Like I said before, Lexus dealer kept my car for 2 weeks and couldn't find the bug. They replaced the throttle body and some other parts and the problem still remains. When I disconnect battery for 30 min, the light goes off but came back on around 50 miles or so. I'm going to have my car check out soon (probably next week) and this time I'll ask for the error code.

Not all the TC has the same stall speed. It's custom-made. For NA, I believe it's 2800 RPM. For forced induction, I believe it's 2400 RPM.

TC gives out most performance while the car is completely stop. The gain at high speed is limited.

The MPG drop.... sorry I couldn't answer that since I had TC for 2 years and can't really remember the original MPG. It's around 2 MPG drop.

The TC really removes the lag and I can't imagine to drive a car without TC in it. I'm very happy with this modification though my family members aren't.
Old 08-09-02, 01:04 PM
GS430 GUY
Lexus Test Driver

GSMan,

No check engine light problem on my end and I am close to 5K miles with the TC and my car was in an accident.

The car will drive jerkier if you mash the accelerator faster

I have not noticed any slippage when accelerating to pass. I just floor it and watch the speed rapidly increase (thanx SRT, hehe)

Stall speed on mine is 2800, the same SRT orders them with when they are ordered from Precision Industries

My MPG always stunk and with the SRT intake I think I have broken even since mostly all I do is city driving. On the highway the car is fine as can be.

It really does remove the lag and I am happy with the mod.

I would recommend a tranny cooler while you are doing the upgrade, since heat takes years off the transmission over time. Do a search for tranny cooler and you should get Permacool and Hayden as the 2 brands most have installed. I have a Hayden cooler installed.

Good luck and get the damn mod , with the LSD it's great.
Old 08-09-02, 01:23 PM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Transmission cooler is a must. What I can tell you with the city driving? My wife who drive the car in the weekday did not notice any thing. The car does not jerk at all. In fact, the car feels even smooth at city drive with out flooring it. Since city drive most of the time will not reach stall speed.. so the the slippage help the car feels smooth.. imo..

but when flooring it.. its a night a day difference.. when you WOT pass through 2800rpm.. the car kicks...feel awesome..
Old 08-09-02, 02:35 PM
RacingAristo

GS430 Guy,

Post up if you have any engine check light problem, will yah? Of course I hope this will never happen.

After talking to people at PI and my local shop, transmission cooler is not necessary. When you really destory the tranny, it's time to get a new car! I guess it's a nice add-on to protect your car.
Old 08-09-02, 09:02 PM
GS430 GUY
Lexus Test Driver

RA,

Will do if I have any check engine problems, but I have none to date and don't expect any. Let us know the codes the dealer pulls when it goes in. Thanx
Old 08-09-02, 09:10 PM
ShowGSLuVv
Lexus Test Driver

I have a question about the TC, what exactly is "Slippage" and what's the best way to describe it? and if so is it bad for the transmission..... or will it wear the transmission out more with time? thanks

ShOwGS
Old 08-09-02, 09:22 PM
RacingAristo

Originally posted by GS430 GUY
RA,

Will do if I have any check engine problems, but I have none to date and don't expect any. Let us know the codes the dealer pulls when it goes in. Thanx
Will do. I post the code in different thread.
Old 08-10-02, 06:20 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Originally posted by ShowGSLuVv
I have a question about the TC, what exactly is "Slippage" and what's the best way to describe it? and if so is it bad for the transmission..... or will it wear the transmission out more with time? thanks

ShOwGS
Read this for a basic understanding.

My 15 second description goes like so:

The slipping is the feeling of the engine and the transmission running at different speeds. All TC allow for this however some allow for a higher engine speed before the transmission side of things begins to catch up. This speed differential does cause a rise in fluid temperature and *that* is what people usually refer to as being bad for the transmission. Heat == Bad. That's why we always encourage you to install a trans cooler when you get the TC it's very cheap insurance.

Now slippage as in trans slippage? Nope. The TC is outside of the transmission. Unless metal shavings get in or the aforementioned hot trans fluid installing a TC won't suddenly make the trans slip. If the trans slipped that would be *bad*. Clutch bands slipping, generating heat, heat == bad... you know the rest.......
Old 08-10-02, 04:53 PM
RacingAristo

Clark,

Have I convinced you for a TC upgrade?
Old 08-12-02, 10:59 AM
GSman
Pole Position

Dennis, still considering it. Thanks again for the demonstration. Let me know when you get the code for your check engine light.

Thanks,
Old 08-12-02, 12:42 PM
RacingAristo

Clark,

I will definitely post up the code when I get it done. It probably won't happen within this month because I'm preping for GRE.