Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

HKS350 does it again! Living up to the title..

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-11, 05:33 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How does the engine/transmission feel right as you get into the increased redline of 7k?

sounded like it couldnt get into second or third gear too easy on that last vid. You leave it in d right? ect normal?

Last edited by 06isDriver; 03-17-11 at 05:55 AM.
Old 03-17-11, 07:46 AM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 06isDriver
How does the engine/transmission feel right as you get into the increased redline of 7k?

sounded like it couldnt get into second or third gear too easy on that last vid. You leave it in d right? ect normal?

Well, glad someone asked! One of the issues I'm having is the redline increase and shift points. When I have the car in "ect mode" the car shifts perfect but shifts at 6500 rpm. If I put it into "normal mode" it goes to redline 7K but doesn't shift all that great. One of the features in the HKS F-conIs is a TQ converter lockup feature. I wired up this feature but have no idea what the programming points are because I don't have software to veiw.
My theory is, this TQ converter lockup program is enabled by "ect power mode" only. When that signal is enabled the cars tranmission changes far beyond what would normally be for the 'ect mode". I should learn alot more on the software side in April when I go for a tune.

The fastest time I ran was in 'ECT mode" and me shifting myself @ 6800 rpm.
The problem I have when doing this is the car hits the next gear so hard I get wheel spin.

Last edited by HKS350; 03-17-11 at 07:51 AM.
Old 03-17-11, 10:40 AM
djbugz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love watching those videos.. thanks for showing.. Can't wait for more...
Old 03-17-11, 11:07 AM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Actually my car does the same thing. I thought it was normal...
Old 03-17-11, 01:43 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by HKS350
Well, glad someone asked! One of the issues I'm having is the redline increase and shift points. When I have the car in "ect mode" the car shifts perfect but shifts at 6500 rpm. If I put it into "normal mode" it goes to redline 7K but doesn't shift all that great. One of the features in the HKS F-conIs is a TQ converter lockup feature. I wired up this feature but have no idea what the programming points are because I don't have software to veiw.
My theory is, this TQ converter lockup program is enabled by "ect power mode" only. When that signal is enabled the cars tranmission changes far beyond what would normally be for the 'ect mode". I should learn alot more on the software side in April when I go for a tune.

The problem I have when doing this is the car hits the next gear so hard I get wheel spin.
Seems like the converter lockup would have been programmed for the increased redline, right? That doesnt make any sense to me....as a programmer.
Old 03-17-11, 03:45 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

You just don't understand the "TQ converter lockup" itself. Once its enabled its locked in until you disable it. Gear shift is irrelevant in the equation. But it may be programmed to disable before gear change IDK? I very highly doubt it tho.
Old 03-17-11, 03:50 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

I think (not 100% sure) the OEM PCM/ECU locks up the TQ converter in 3rd gear anyway. I think (not 100% sure) the HKS F-con is locking it up via rpm base in first gear but only in "ect mode" Like I said I haven't viewed the program in the HKS yet.

Heres and example of "TQ converter lockup"

When your in 3rd or 4th gear and you slighly press the gas pedal you'll notice the RPM's raise @ 500-1000 rpms but it doesn't down shift. This is when the PCM tells the TQ converter to unlock and allow the rpm's to rise. This prepairs the tranmission for a gear change. If it were to stay enabled then there would be very hard harsh shifts all the time. Most aftermarket tuners lockup the TQ converter to allow them to put as much power to the ground at all times as they can.

Last edited by HKS350; 03-17-11 at 04:04 PM.
Old 03-17-11, 05:32 PM
kraven9
Lead Lap

Nice video.
Old 03-17-11, 07:35 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Truly one of a kind! really nice!
Old 03-18-11, 09:50 AM
machefai
Driver

Might be a noob question, but just looking for some clarity. You mentioned the ect mode shift was perfect, but at 6500. But then said your fastest time was with ect mode and shifting yourself at 6800?

Did you mean previously the ect mode shifted at 6500? If so, when would it shift now on auto in ect mode?

And when you say ect mode, you mean ect pwr mode, right? Or do you mean that's the hack mode you've got goin?
Old 03-18-11, 10:50 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Gear shift is irrelevant in the equation. But it may be programmed to disable before gear change IDK? I very highly doubt it tho.
You said gear shifting was irrelevant in relation to the torque converter.

When your in 3rd or 4th gear and you slighly press the gas pedal you'll notice the RPM's raise @ 500-1000 rpms but it doesn't down shift. This is when the PCM tells the TQ converter to unlock and allow the rpm's to rise. This prepairs the tranmission for a gear change. If it were to stay enabled then there would be very hard harsh shifts all the time.
But then hear you said it relates directly to shifting. I'm just confused about the logic of the torque converter in this scenario. What should it be doing according to you? Can it be fixed to perform well at the track as well as maintain road manners?
Old 03-18-11, 11:54 AM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by machefai
Might be a noob question, but just looking for some clarity. You mentioned the ect mode shift was perfect, but at 6500. But then said your fastest time was with ect mode and shifting yourself at 6800?

Did you mean previously the ect mode shifted at 6500? If so, when would it shift now on auto in ect mode?

And when you say ect mode, you mean ect pwr mode, right? Or do you mean that's the hack mode you've got goin?
Right ECT POWER button. If left in [D] Drive it will shift at 6500 rpm. If normal mode in [D] Drive it will shift at 7000rpm and hit the rev limiter between gear shifts. I can hold the rev's longer in ECT Power mode if I shift myself. Does this help?

You said gear shifting was irrelevant in relation to the torque converter.

But then hear you said it relates directly to shifting. I'm just confused about the logic of the torque converter in this scenario. What should it be doing according to you? Can it be fixed to perform well at the track as well as maintain road manners?
LOL, sorry to confuse you. To keep it short read................http://ezinearticles.com/?Torque-Con...ckup&id=113485

This may help you understand everything above.

I'm pretty sure I like the programming that is in the HKS F-Con already. But it throws out all the normal steps we would take during drag racing.
Like:

Button in Normal mode
Allow the car to shift on its own in Drive

Now the car is faster:

In ECT Power
Self shifting in sport mode

Last edited by HKS350; 03-18-11 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-18-11, 12:39 PM
machefai
Driver

ah okay, think I'm following now. Thanks!

Well for comparison's sake, do you happen to know the true stock rev limits/shift points for "ect norm" vs "ect pwr" and whether or not "ect pwr" gets a higher shift point in manual vs. auto?

Just wondering if it's always the case that "ect pwr" has a higher shift point in the manual setting.

So did you find 6800 was the sweet spot? do you know if you could keep it to 7000?
Old 03-19-11, 06:26 AM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heres and example of "TQ converter lockup"

When your in 3rd or 4th gear and you slighly press the gas pedal you'll notice the RPM's raise @ 500-1000 rpms but it doesn't down shift. This is when the PCM tells the TQ converter to unlock and allow the rpm's to rise. This prepairs the tranmission for a gear change. If it were to stay enabled then there would be very hard harsh shifts all the time. Most aftermarket tuners lockup the TQ converter to allow them to put as much power to the ground at all times as they can.
You sure this isn't the VVTi kicking in, 'cause in my car I could be in 6th and it does the same thing at 100 to 120Km/h with a gentle throttle change???? Can't remember the rpm at 120km/h but it must be around 2500 or so.
Old 03-19-11, 10:38 AM
Gaugster
Advanced

HKS350 - Thanks for the videos and updates. Yeah - your weather at the track sux'd azz.

Just imagine what it's gonna be like on a cooler day when your making more power but have even less traction. Good luck wit dat...

Quick Reply: HKS350 does it again! Living up to the title..