Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

F-sport Intake questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-11, 05:47 PM
STLE
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F-sport Intake questions

I have a few questions regarding the intake.
I'd appreciate it if the questions were answered.

Thanks.

I'm thinking of doing some sort of modification to my air intake. However I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet.

Does changing the air filter inside the OEM box to a high-flow air filter make a difference in performance or noise? I'm considering this option since it's cheap and it only requires changing the air filter for about $70 from sewell.

My other question is what are the benefits of the F-Sport Intake and if I buy it from sewell and install it myself will it void any warranties? I'm worried about this since my car is a brand new 2011 IS and I don't want to get it installed at the dealer since they charge an arm and a leg for it.

Also for the F-Sport Intakeis it really a cold air intake or just a regular intake change?

Thanks for your input and help.

If you guys have any advice, information or criticisms, please do share. Past experiences will also be a big help. Thanks!
Old 01-10-11, 05:57 PM
Fuzzie
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it wont void warranty, and it saves you A LOT of money to do it yourself.. its really easy to do and doesnt take long. yes its a cold air intake.
Old 01-10-11, 08:06 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by STLE
I have a few questions regarding the intake.
I'd appreciate it if the questions were answered.

Thanks.

I'm thinking of doing some sort of modification to my air intake. However I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet.

Does changing the air filter inside the OEM box to a high-flow air filter make a difference in performance or noise? I'm considering this option since it's cheap and it only requires changing the air filter for about $70 from sewell.
Not really, no.

My other question is what are the benefits of the F-Sport Intake and if I buy it from sewell and install it myself will it void any warranties?
Nope. Only difference from overpaying the dealer to do it is that if you paid the dealer the warranty on just the F-sport intake would become "remainder of your factory bumper-to-bumper warranty" rather than just 1 year from purchase like normal F-sport parts you self-install.

Give the intake is just a tube and a box there's literally nothing to go wrong with it though so having a longer warranty on it is fairly pointless.

Also for the F-Sport Intakeis it really a cold air intake or just a regular intake change?
Technically, no, it's not a "cold air" intake in the sense it drops down and draws air from near ground level (none exist on the 2IS as it'd require cutting through the bumper bits).

But it's as close as you'll get on this car in that it largely retains the factory sealed-ish intake design... versus the hot-air intake you get with the short-ram designs.

If your budget is really tight you could just go with the Joe Z intake for $125... power gains will be exactly the same for less $... the downsides are it's not quite as loud (this might be a plus to some though), you won't get a reusable filter with it (you can always buy one yourself), and the big one for you- Only the F-sport intake is technically legal in California among aftermarket 2IS intakes. It'd be easy enough to swap the Joe Z out for the stock piece for inspection but that's your call.
Old 01-11-11, 12:00 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^you can also just buy the F-sport tube and sleeves from sewell. Should run about the same price as a Joe Z. But it'll be CARB legal.

Just reuse the paper filter. best filtration. aftermarket won't give any gains. the only reason to get it is to save money long term having to buy new filters.
Old 01-14-11, 08:13 AM
adamdmc13
Driver School Candidate

I bought the K&N intake filter for my stock intake. Did nothing observable to the car, so I got the F-Sport Intake kit.
Don't really notice any major power gains but you definitely hear it when you get into the higher RPMs. If your driving easy, you won't hear a thing, but once you peg the gas it sounds awesome!
Old 01-14-11, 02:10 PM
nonopr01
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

About 20 min ago I install my brand new F-Sport Intake kit (the whole thing)on my 2009 IS 250 and it was a breeze to install. About 15 minutes it took.
The sound when Pedal to the metal is great and very behave when not. Now I need to get the Sport Muffler. Yeah.
Old 01-14-11, 03:15 PM
CCM03
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I deffiatly would reccomend the f-sport intake. Sounds great, looks awesome.

And for sure install it yourself, its real easy with minor tool needed. It will save ya some $$$
Old 01-16-11, 10:28 AM
brettoteri
Driver School Candidate

I was hoping to get the F-Sport Intake into my newly purchased IS 250 awd. Does the warranty hold up if the part is purchased on Ebay etc....?

Other than the Exhaust are there any other moderately cheap ways to increase the cars power?

Also was wondering if Lexus makes a stamped brake caliper and if not whats a good company to go with.

Thank you for any help you can give this newby!
Old 01-16-11, 11:40 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by brettoteri
I was hoping to get the F-Sport Intake into my newly purchased IS 250 awd. Does the warranty hold up if the part is purchased on Ebay etc....?
If it's from a dealer (most of the ebay ones I've seen were) then you get a 12 month warranty on the intake.

If it's from some dude selling it used off his car, not so much.

Originally Posted by brettoteri
Other than the Exhaust are there any other moderately cheap ways to increase the cars power?
Trade it in for a 350.

Nothing else you do to a 250 will deliver anywhere near as much hp per dollar.

F-sport= $300 for 5 hp, $60 per hp.

Axle-back exhaust: $600-1200 for 7 hp. $86-171 per hp.

250 to 350: ~$4000 for 102 hp. $39 per hp.
Old 01-17-11, 07:59 PM
brettoteri
Driver School Candidate

Thanx for the advice man....but I just bought the car last month and I traded in a GMC Envoy and this thing is a rocket ship next to that monster!

I also need the AWD as I live near and work in Boston....I love the interior and exterior on this car and test drove the G35 and Acura TL but was not crazy about them for a few reasons.

I will most likely get the IS 350 AWD in two years after this is paid off....I will prolly get the intake and see if that quenches my thirst for a bit....new tires may help and will grab those in the Spring!
Old 01-19-11, 04:34 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by Jetfire
^you can also just buy the F-sport tube and sleeves from sewell. Should run about the same price as a Joe Z. But it'll be CARB legal.

Just reuse the paper filter. best filtration. aftermarket won't give any gains. the only reason to get it is to save money long term having to buy new filters.
Really, I just checked it and it comes out to about $227 on the MSRP (for the Pipe, Sleeves/Hardware & Label)
&
Around $150 if you log into the site for the additional discounts...
  • You can but just the Emissions Label for $5

~ Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 01-19-11 at 04:39 PM.