Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Disappointed with AFE stage 2 intake!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-11, 06:44 PM
xianan87
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disappointed with AFE stage 2 intake!

Before I start venting my frustration... just to let you guys know that I understand the fact that intake and exhaust does little or none improvement performance wise to our car. I was not expecting any noticeable gain from getting the cold air intake and the Greddy exhaust. However, after getting these two things installed, what I got in return is a noticeable reduction in speed.. the car feels slower than prior!! Before when I floor it, I would at least get a little pull (pined to the seat sensation), but now it is just slow!

I read on CL that adding intake may lose torque and hp at lower end but conversely you will gain at the higher end, but I don't feel anything but overall the car has gotten slower.

I am setting up to get a dyno to determine whether I have lost power from adding these two mods soon.. and I hope that is not the case.

But before I get the dyno test, is there anything that you guys could think of to help me love my car the way I did before I drop some bucks?

I have reset my ECU (plug the fuse), but that didn't do much. FYI, I also installed the F sport sway bar if that has anything to do with this.

Thank you..
Old 01-14-11, 07:59 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

what was your baseline dyno?
Old 01-14-11, 08:24 PM
MIA_LEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take the intake out, smoke a blunt and youll be a okay
Old 01-14-11, 08:46 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

First, the sway bar has nothing to do with performance at all, it's a handling modification.

Second, no matter what the box it came in says, you don't have a cold air intake.

Nobody makes a production one for the 2IS, because it would require cutting through the bumper bits in the front to get the snorkel down low where the real cold air is.

You have a short ram intake with a shield around the filter.

Now, no intake will cause a perceivable performance difference either way on a 2IS... (the short rams probably lose a couple hp from a standing start but again, not enough to notice).

Your exhaust, being an axle-back, should add roughly 7 hp. This also isn't really enough to notice, but it certainly wouldn't slow the car down either.

The only way either performance mod would slow the car down noticeably is if you installed it wrong, so that's what I'd look at, see if there's leaks anywhere in the system on either end.

The intake seems more likely off the top of my head
Old 01-15-11, 02:21 AM
xianan87
Rookie

Originally Posted by jadu
what was your baseline dyno?

I have never done a baseline dyno.. but I did a search on CL, a stock is350 puts up about 260 hp..
Old 01-15-11, 02:22 AM
xianan87
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kurtz
First, the sway bar has nothing to do with performance at all, it's a handling modification.

Second, no matter what the box it came in says, you don't have a cold air intake.

Nobody makes a production one for the 2IS, because it would require cutting through the bumper bits in the front to get the snorkel down low where the real cold air is.

You have a short ram intake with a shield around the filter.

Now, no intake will cause a perceivable performance difference either way on a 2IS... (the short rams probably lose a couple hp from a standing start but again, not enough to notice).

Your exhaust, being an axle-back, should add roughly 7 hp. This also isn't really enough to notice, but it certainly wouldn't slow the car down either.

The only way either performance mod would slow the car down noticeably is if you installed it wrong, so that's what I'd look at, see if there's leaks anywhere in the system on either end.

The intake seems more likely off the top of my head
So most likely the intake was installed incorrectly.. I will take a look at this tmr.

Thanks very much for your input
Old 01-15-11, 03:09 AM
IS25Heaven
Lexus Test Driver

Every car is gonna read a different number.
there are a bunch of variables that goes into this type of dyno, weather, altitude.
There are more variables but those are the most important.
Knowing that you dont have a baseline dyno you will never know if you gained or lost power.
The exhaust should for sure free up some power.
Old 01-15-11, 03:38 AM
juice14
Lexus Champion

let the ECU adjust, everytime I unplug the battery the car feels slower and sometimes doesnt even start the first time
Old 01-15-11, 06:20 AM
jaxxx
Pole Position

hmmm take the intake out ..see if thats the problem, if it is sell it
Old 01-15-11, 09:29 AM
xianan87
Rookie

Originally Posted by juice14
let the ECU adjust, everytime I unplug the battery the car feels slower and sometimes doesnt even start the first time
I guess your right. i will give it some time to let the ecu adjust... i think it felt a lil different after today
Old 01-16-11, 11:20 AM
DSheeezy
Rookie

lmk how it works out after breaking it in? i just got my takeda(afe sister company?) but havent installed it yet
Old 01-16-11, 06:49 PM
bpon89
Driver School Candidate

I've had that intake for almost 2 years now. At first I had some weird VSC check engine light that kept on coming on for the longest time. After I installed one of those grounding wire kits it went away and never came back.

I did notice at the beginning my car felt slower too! I drive my car with ECT on all the time and I guess I still feel like it is slower than the stock and will still reconsider putting back on the stock someday. I didn't want to go through the hassle of selling it so I kept it on and it does sound pretty good! I even bought some cleaner now since its almost been 30k miles already.
Old 01-17-11, 06:11 PM
xianan87
Rookie

Originally Posted by bpon89
I've had that intake for almost 2 years now. At first I had some weird VSC check engine light that kept on coming on for the longest time. After I installed one of those grounding wire kits it went away and never came back.

I did notice at the beginning my car felt slower too! I drive my car with ECT on all the time and I guess I still feel like it is slower than the stock and will still reconsider putting back on the stock someday. I didn't want to go through the hassle of selling it so I kept it on and it does sound pretty good! I even bought some cleaner now since its almost been 30k miles already.

so do you still feel your car slower or did it only happen in the beginning?