Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Your Thoughts: IS-F Motor in IS250 MT RWD

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-11, 09:32 AM
lazerous
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im coming up with a stroker kit. i need to figure out if the vvti can be disabled. then redo the fuel system, it will be a is400 that i plan on boosting. these blocks can only hold around 14 psi before sleeving. but then the world if yours... im even in the process of designing a lower compression piston for these cars with engineers that design direct injection motors for the government. they have been doing so for the last 4 years. pistons and cams are soon to come. i have the springs already.
Old 04-19-11, 04:10 PM
Stevoe88
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vinconist
Not practical, just buy a used isf for 48k or less, comes with warranty and reliability
Totally irrelevant from the OP's post. He wants a manual transmission, and if possible with the IS-F motor. Of course it would be cheaper and more practical if the OP went that route, but in the end it still doesn't meet his criteria.

Likewise, I wish everyday there would be IS350/F manual variant, but I could understand from Lexus's point of view that it would not be cost effective if they did. Also you have to consider the fact that most Lexus owners don't look for a manual, it's just a very narrow niche market of enthusiasts like us that want it
Old 04-25-11, 01:40 AM
AlwaysDTF
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2jz swap it. or 1gr 6 speed
Old 04-25-11, 04:14 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by AlwaysDTF
2jz swap it. or 1gr 6 speed
Neither of which are possible if you want everything else on the car to work properly.

You can get most stuff to work... with several hundred hours of custom wiring work though. There is, AFAIK, one successful example of this in the US. Done by a guy who's highly skilled in motor swaps and it still took him that long, and he still has a couple lights on the dash that aren't getting fixed... and it was a base model so he didn't have to get a number of extra features to work because the car didn't have em.

Much cheaper to just buy a faster car in the first place
Old 04-28-11, 01:13 AM
Solrac28
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
As far as I know there are no manual transmissions that will bolt up to the UR series of engines. You'd need a custom adapter plate or bellhousing, custom flywheel/clutch setup, and I'd probably look at using something like an R154 or V160/161 instead of the RA62, purely to hold up to the abuse. People have the parts needed to do an R154 onto the UZ series of engines, talking to the people who make that kit may be the best way to get a kit to bolt to the UR. The R154 has a bellhousing separate from the transmission case, so it is easier to change out. The V160/161 and RA62 both have the front section of the case integrated with the bellhousing.

In the end, I think it would be better to do a manual transmission swap in an IS F than to try to do a 2UR-GSE swap into an IS250 6MT. I mean you would already have the clutch pedal, etc. but beyond that not much else.

If you wanted the car to be a sleeper in the end you could always put ISx50 fenders/bumpers on the IS F. Of course there is the monetary savings of getting an IS250 versus an IS F to start with, but the amount of money spent getting the engine/getting it into an IS250 may make the extra money worth it, haha. Unless you somehow found a crashed IS F or something.

I think the easiest way to get a performance setup into an ISx50 with a manual would be to do a 2GR-FSE swap into an IS250 6MT or an RA62 swap into an IS350. All of the parts would be bolt-in. The trickiest part would be what the ECU would do without a transmission connected to it. In older cars this was not a problem, but I'm not sure what the ECU would do when it was expecting certain things to happen.

Jeff
As to your last paragraph conserning the ECU expecting to see the automatic you could wire it to see the transmission in Drive at all times. That will keep the ECU happy at least it does on our 2GRFE swaps into MR2's. Same deal we go from an engine that is available only as a Automatic and then add a 5 speed but in a transverse layout. I even have made custom flywheels that one day when I meet my 30 post in 30 days rule will be making available to you guys. They are SFI Certified Chromemoly with an intergrated ring gear in two versions a 9.5lb version and a 11lb version. I had a couple of extras made when I made the ones I need for my two project MR2's. As for clutches you would use a clutch for a 3SGTE which I can provide as well. The question is whether the spline count will be the same between the 5 or 6 speed manual you guys select if not that could easily be resolve by using a different disk. Anyway I hope my tip helps.
Best Regards,
c
Old 04-28-11, 04:18 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Solrac28
As to your last paragraph conserning the ECU expecting to see the automatic you could wire it to see the transmission in Drive at all times. That will keep the ECU happy at least it does on our 2GRFE swaps into MR2's.
The ECU doesn't expect any feedback from the transmission when it commands a shift, or a TC lockup, or anything else?

I find that kinda surprising given how much all the other ECUs in the car talk to each other...

Possibly the fact it's going into a different car without the same dash/electronics means the ECU DOES have a problem you're just not seeing the appropriate dash lights?
(I mean, maybe not, but with everything else the ECU expects feedback on I'm pretty surprised it doesn't need to know if a commanded shift happened or whatnot)
Old 07-26-11, 01:43 PM
kiochiu
Rookie

What speedo and tachometers would be used? This is pretty interesting. Glwchoice