Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Engine light - filling gas w/eng. running??

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-02, 08:45 AM
GS3InPhx
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine light - filling gas w/eng. running??

I was on my way home a couple nights ago, and boom engine light comes on. So I call the dealer, and they ask me if I recently got gas, and if so if I did it with the engine running. Of course, I had , and they said that was it. (Come on its AZ!!!) So, I had a oil change appt. anyways, so when I was in they reset the code as well. Later on, that same day the light appeared again! Now, should it reset itself automatically or is something else probably wrong? My car has just a tick over 49k on it and hasn't had any other problems so far. I plan on driving it for the next couple days and if it doesn't go off, I'm going back to the dealer for them to check it out.

BTW- no drivability problems or anything else so far that I have found.
Old 08-19-02, 12:23 AM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Similar problem

I had a check engine light that bugged me and puzzled my dealer for a couple of months. It was a 90446 code and relates to vapor recovery system - which includes the gas cap, cannister, hoses, etc. The original thought by the dealer was the gas cap. After about half-dozen visits, they finally found that a tech bulletin fix that should have been done by the previous owner wasn't done. The assumed that it had been done some time ago. Once they did what was directed by the bulletin - it was fixed and never showed again. So, if it's the gas cap, ignore this - if it becomes a recurring problem - bring this to their attention. Good luck!
Old 08-19-02, 08:04 PM
indypwr
Lexus Champion

Default ENGINE LIGHT

NEVER PUMP GAS WHEN ENGINE RUNNING.....

SIMPLY SAID...!!!!
Old 08-20-02, 05:47 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why would you pump gas with the engine running? dangerous to yourself and the ppl around.
Old 08-20-02, 06:02 PM
GS430 GUY
Lexus Test Driver

Speaking of which, I'll never forget driver's ed. The car we were driving needed gas, so my friend who was driving pulls into the station. Our instructor handed him the money and he pumped the gas, lazy instructor stayed in the car. My stupid friend never shut the engine off while he was pumping the gas though. Talk about being stupid. He got back in the car and we realized that, we tore him a new one, as did our lazy instructor, haha.
Old 08-20-02, 08:15 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

thanks for this info my friend has the re-occuring vapour problem as well i'll make sure he knows!
Old 08-22-02, 10:11 AM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

Default Re: Similar problem

Originally posted by garnet92
I had a check engine light that bugged me and puzzled my dealer for a couple of months. It was a 90446 code and relates to vapor recovery system - which includes the gas cap, cannister, hoses, etc. The original thought by the dealer was the gas cap. After about half-dozen visits, they finally found that a tech bulletin fix that should have been done by the previous owner wasn't done. The assumed that it had been done some time ago. Once they did what was directed by the bulletin - it was fixed and never showed again. So, if it's the gas cap, ignore this - if it becomes a recurring problem - bring this to their attention. Good luck!
It's actually code "P0446". But you were very close! The evap system is one of the hardest systems to properly diagnose. You need to know how the system works backward and forward to properly diagnose any problem with it. Very few people know the system that well. I finally understand it fully, and I'm constantly training my techs on it. On most cars when the gas cap is left off or loose you'll get a P0440. It is possible for that code to be set when filling your car with gas, but the conditions have to be just right for it to happen. My advice to anyone who wants to fill up with gas with the engine running, make sure the engine is fully warmed up and the car has been driven for some time (5-10 miles) first. This way the car won't run it's evap test while your pumping your gas. Hope this helps!

DD
Old 09-06-02, 04:49 PM
AggieLS
Pole Position

Default Check Engine & VSC Lights On

Hey folks. Just had "Check Engine & VSC & VSC Off" lights all light up when starting engine on my '98 GS300 (73K miles) and all 3 remained on. I restarted engine several times thinking maybe it needed to just recycle and reset. Engine seemed to run fine on the way home, about 4 miles, and dealer will take a look on Tuesday a.m. Advisor says could be any number of issues from gas cap loose, which they have to reset the lights for, to a major issue. Gas was filled about 100 miles ago so that seems a little odd that it would just now cause the lights for the very first time.

I see where some of you have reset the fuse to get the lights off after retightening the cap - did it really work and if so, which fuze do I pull/replace?

NEVER MIND - just went out and restarted it again after retightening the cap and after about a minute the lights all went out. Drove it and restarted it several times without the lights showing back up so all is well afterall.

Last edited by AggieLS; 09-06-02 at 05:07 PM.