Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Auto to Manual Swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-11, 05:57 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real
Forum Moderator

Received 614 Likes on 407 Posts

See my updated post. The Scion tC used a 5-speed from 2005-2010, and only got a 6-speed in 2011. The Scion tC is only sold in North America (no other branded model of it is sold anywhere else in the world, not even Japan, where it is produced).

My post-count may be low here, and I may not have much of a reputation around here yet, but typically speaking, I know my stuff, and I know how to research these types of things. I don't mind if you don't believe me though. I often encourage people to challenge things I've said. I'm not always right (in fact just 2 days ago Kurtz proved me quite wrong in a thread regarding Smart keys. It crushed my spirit, but I enjoy learning).

The website is not correct.

Jeff
Old 04-09-11, 06:05 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by dmocchi
Its the aisin bg6 used on the corolla, celica , latest mr2 ect...
Also, in regards to this, all of these vehicles used the C6x series transmissions, and all were introduced well before 2005. The Celica GT-S used the C60 from 1999-2004 (production), the Matrix XRS used the C60 from 2002-2006, and the Corolla XRS used the same one from 2005-2006. The MR2 got the C65M in 2002 and that was used until 2007 (overseas).

The whole reason we got on this topic was because the vehicles you listed clearly did not use the BG6. They were all introduced well before the BG6. The poster asked which transmission the Evora uses, it is the BG6, but from your post he may think it's the same transmission as is used in other common vehicles over here, which it most certainly is NOT. The BG6 is a much heavier duty transmission.

There's no way a 6-speed Celica transmission (C60) would hold up to the abuse of a 2GR, lol. They didn't even use it in the 4-cylinder Camrys or forced-induction MR2's.

If you want I can post diagrams of the internals of the different transmissions (2-shaft, 3-shaft type, older design, newer design, etc. but it really doesn't matter. The Aisin website is slightly wrong, and your post about the Evora using the same transmission as the Celica/MR2 is very wrong).

Jeff
Old 04-10-11, 12:24 AM
dmocchi
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
See my updated post. The Scion tC used a 5-speed from 2005-2010, and only got a 6-speed in 2011. The Scion tC is only sold in North America (no other branded model of it is sold anywhere else in the world, not even Japan, where it is produced).

My post-count may be low here, and I may not have much of a reputation around here yet, but typically speaking, I know my stuff, and I know how to research these types of things. I don't mind if you don't believe me though. I often encourage people to challenge things I've said. I'm not always right (in fact just 2 days ago Kurtz proved me quite wrong in a thread regarding Smart keys. It crushed my spirit, but I enjoy learning).

The website is not correct.

Jeff
1) im sorry Kurt hurt your feelings
2)im sure youre knowledgeable but I still would rather believe the official website.
Old 04-10-11, 08:50 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dmocchi
1) im sorry Kurt hurt your feelings
2)im sure youre knowledgeable but I still would rather believe the official website.
I'm not sure why you believe the "official" website of the 3rd party vendor that OEMs their parts to others... but not the "official" parts catalog of the company that actually builds the car in question
Old 04-10-11, 09:46 AM
lazerous
Driver School Candidate

get the tranny from the x-runner. it has shorter gears too. as far as the wiring goes use a manual ecu from a 250. then wire the rest as the 6 speed is and your good. might need something to control the fuel map and I'm not sure how much timing is in these cars from the factory. can anyone tell me????
Old 04-10-11, 10:02 AM
buckwheat
Driver

:sad dose anyone know if a manual 6 speed trans ecu will plug right in to an auto sc 300?
Old 04-10-11, 11:44 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lazerous
get the tranny from the x-runner. it has shorter gears too. as far as the wiring goes use a manual ecu from a 250. then wire the rest as the 6 speed is and your good. might need something to control the fuel map and I'm not sure how much timing is in these cars from the factory. can anyone tell me????
I don't expect a 250 ECU will work very well in a 350.

If you're suggesting someone with a 250 do this, well, they could just get the 250 with a manual from the factory.
(not a great one, but not like they're gonna see enough power to break the thing anyway)
Old 04-10-11, 06:45 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real
Forum Moderator

Agreed, the 4GR-FSE ECU would fall flat on its face trying to run a 2GR-FSE. You can't magically create an extra 6 injector drivers in the ECU to control the port injectors. Even trying to run the D4-S system on a standalone would be quite the hassle. Running the 2GR-FSE ECU would probably be about the only way to go about it.

As for the X-Runner transmission, it would be terrible behind the IS350. 1st gear would be so retardedly useless (4.171:1 vs. 3.791), and you'd have a lower top speed in 6th gear (0.849:1 vs. 0.786:1), and 2nd through 5th would be almost identical. Basically you'd have useless 1st and 6th gears without changing anything else. The X-Runner gearing is not well suited to a car application, in my opinion.

Jeff
Old 04-11-11, 01:31 AM
lazerous
Driver School Candidate

you can use the 250 ecu. get a neo and adjust the fuel. itll be fine, like doing a stroker motor to a 250. a far as the tranny goes id listen to them. or build your own from the 2. id love to see that.
Old 04-11-11, 05:56 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

you can use the 250 ecu. get a neo and adjust the fuel. itll be fine, like doing a stroker motor to a 250. a far as the tranny goes id listen to them. or build your own from the 2. id love to see that.
Uh... what?

the 250 ECU controls 6 fuel injectors. All direct.

the 350 has 6 MORE port injectors the 250 doesn't have at all.

How is the 250 ECU going to control the port injectors it doesn't even know exist?
Old 04-11-11, 11:14 AM
Starfire07
Driver School Candidate

The Evora 3.5L is a 2GR-FE, it is not the same the 2GR-FSE found in the IS350. The bones of the 6MT used there is sourced from the Toyota Avensis, a diesel car from the UK. Lotus took the box in house, and added their gearings to match the engine/chassis. Not sure what model is the 6MT there, but it is definitely not the C60 found in cars with the 2zz engines. There is no way any C series trannies would be able take the torque of the 2GR. If I were to guess, I would think it is more closely related to the E153 found in the third update of the 2nd gen MR2 Turbo.

Originally Posted by RRocket
The Lotus Evora uses the Toyota 3.5L V6 and uses a 6 speed Toyota transmission. Which one do they use??
Old 04-11-11, 12:05 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real
Forum Moderator

Okay, let me know how that works out for you.

There's quite a bit more different between the 2GR-FSE and 4GS-FSE than the displacement, unfortunately.

Jeff
Old 05-09-11, 10:25 PM
Starfire07
Driver School Candidate

So I did some reading on the X Runner forum, there is already a company making a kit adapting a T56 behind the 1GR. Check it out:
http://aprpower.com/ECU_mainpage.html

The thread on Custom Tacos:
http://www.customtacos.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=151066

Does the RA60 bolt up to the 2GR? If so, I think we may be one step closer into this quest!
Old 05-10-11, 09:37 PM
1badlex
Rookie

better off trading it for a manual than converting
Old 08-24-11, 07:09 PM
69chevy
Driver School Candidate

If I could revive this discussion for a continuance of the rabbit trail... as it was of particular interest to me

I have a '91 MR2 that I am planning a 2GR-FE swap into... along that line I would really like to mate that to a 6-speed (as I have always wanted a 6-speed mid-engine car). Based off the discussion of this thread the transmission of choice looks to be the Toyota EB6x.

My question to you experts would be what years/models had the EB6x and will it work with the 2GR-FE? What kind of sorcery will need to be done with the ecu to make it work?

Thanks to anyone who participates in this revival!!

Quick Reply: Auto to Manual Swap