Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Top speed Pro-1 axle-back installed

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-11, 11:30 PM
A.C Milan
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top speed Pro-1 axle-back installed

So After weeks of Searching I've decided not to go with a high quality exhaust as the cost will be insane with the shipping costs, so there were three options which all cost almost the same ( M2 performance , OBX , Top Speed Pro-1 ) . to me I've never heard of any of them before , so did some googling and decided to get the Top Speed Pro-1 Axle-back based on other cars reviews , got it on eBay (330 $ + 310$ shipping ).

so I got the exhaust , very well packaged , and went to install it yesterday.

installation .. I was expecting alot of problems on installation as Ive read somewhere before. The pipes aligned together perfectly with the oem mid-pipe and with each other (left and right) , but there was actually one problem which is the tips weren't sitting even , the left tip was lower , we tried adjusting the hangars and it helped a bit but still the difference is noticeable , I should try harder whenever I get free time , but if anyone has any tips on how to adjust it it would be appreciated, I'm no expert but I think stainless steel shouldn't be heated.
installation took around 45 minutes.

the sound .. I was expecting a noisy loud tone from a cheap exhuast, but honestly after starting the car for the first time I was reaaally impressed , the sound was just like how I wanted it to be , very deep tone , at idle no one will notice it , but while accelerating esp between rpm 2-3 that deep tone just sounds great, I've read and saw many tanabe reviews & vids and I think it's almost the same sound , going to work now is really a joy now to me .. (temporarily I think) , cruising the highway with that sound feels just great, I will post a pics & video as soon as I get the chance

just one thing I would like to ask , after installing I started the car , lifted it up and start inspecting leakage by hovering hand over the places where pipes are joined , and I felt nothing , is this the correct way to do it , and could there be a leakage that only appears with higher rpm ?

just wanted to share this with anyone planning on a cheaper exhaust , to me to pay around 1800$ on an exhaust (with shipping) was not convincing to me , and I'm really happy with that decision.
Attached Thumbnails Top speed Pro-1 axle-back installed-photo.jpg  
Old 02-21-11, 06:06 AM
jaxxx
Pole Position

More pics pls... Who did u buy it from??
Old 02-21-11, 12:35 PM
jnguyen87
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

odd, so this exhaust is only 2 pieces? If im not mistaken, it looks like the y-pipe is directly connected to one of the mufflers and the other is connected to the other end of the y-pipe.
Old 02-21-11, 01:06 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jnguyen87
odd, so this exhaust is only 2 pieces? If im not mistaken, it looks like the y-pipe is directly connected to one of the mufflers and the other is connected to the other end of the y-pipe.
Nothing odd about it... same thing as the tanabe that it seems to be a knock-off of... (and other axle-backs too I imagine)
Old 02-21-11, 01:18 PM
jnguyen87
Lead Lap

actually the f-sport is 3 pieces. Two canisters and a Y-pipe. I only notice all this because ive actually been searching for a f-sport replica and havent found one yet.
Old 02-21-11, 01:43 PM
aly250
Pole Position

so you spent $640 for your possible knock-off axle back?
Old 02-21-11, 05:13 PM
jnguyen87
Lead Lap

^^^ yeah pretty much. It's more of a tanabe replica then a f-sport one by the design of the y-pipe
Old 02-21-11, 06:08 PM
shiny250
Advanced

well to answer your question on trying to adjust the hangers: try using zip ties to hold the hangers up higher. I used two zip ties per can and now my exhaust sits pretty much perfect. and checking for leaks: I hear that spraying soap water on the joints will help you see leaks as large bubbles are formed if there is a leak. and make sure you do this when the exhaust is COLD! but I just listened for leaks after installing mine, as I did not know about the soap water test.
Old 02-21-11, 06:46 PM
Bottledfed
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Top Speed AKA Jen Che Lin makes alot of products thats all all great he supplies mne with alot of parts I used for my engines swap and I've never had a problem with any of them. His exhaust systems are probably better known among the MR-S comminuty. As for adjusting just stick a crowbar in the exhaust and pull the tip will move
Old 02-21-11, 10:19 PM
A.C Milan
Lead Lap

More pics pls... Who did u buy it from??
a seller named a2rinc , I hope I'm not violating any rules here.
and I will add pics & vid , just didn't get much free time lately

so you spent $640 for your possible knock-off axle back?
~1800$ > 640$ ...

try using zip ties to hold the hangers up higher. I used two zip ties per can and now my exhaust sits pretty much perfect. and checking for leaks: I hear that spraying soap water on the joints will help you see leaks as large bubbles are formed if there is a leak.
Thanks allot man , great idea , will definitely try it out.

btw the exhaust is starting to sound a bit louder , I guess this is how exhausts tend to break-in?
Old 02-22-11, 05:43 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm guessing the OPs problem is he lives in Saudi...

In the US $640 is about what a real Tanabe would've cost new... (or $400-ish used which for an axle-back is the same thing unless the dude went off-roading over boulders or something)
Old 02-23-11, 11:34 PM
SteemInjen
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the write up Milan. I've wondered about these cheaper exhausts, your install really helps. Keep us posted I look forward to hearing the long term verdict.
Old 02-23-11, 11:57 PM
jnguyen87
Lead Lap

Wait..Are you serious? Stick a crow bar in the exhaust? You mean bend up the tip with that crowbar to make his tips look even and end up having a mangled looking tip? NO thanks, i would never do that. And i hope you dont work in some autoshop.

Originally Posted by Bottledfed
Top Speed AKA Jen Che Lin makes alot of products thats all all great he supplies mne with alot of parts I used for my engines swap and I've never had a problem with any of them. His exhaust systems are probably better known among the MR-S comminuty. As for adjusting just stick a crowbar in the exhaust and pull the tip will move
Old 02-24-11, 12:46 PM
benzo555
Lexus Test Driver

Wait..Are you serious? Stick a crow bar in the exhaust? You mean bend up the tip with that crowbar to make his tips look even and end up having a mangled looking tip? NO thanks, i would never do that. And i hope you dont work in some autoshop.
Come on man.. if you never worked in the auto industry its a common practice. Thats how many exhaust are taken off. Of course put a rag in between when doing it to a nice exhaust.
Old 02-24-11, 02:59 PM
Bottledfed
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, its just metal and your bending it, thats same way they MAKE YOUR CAR. Bending metal!!! My Lexus F sport exhaust didn't even line up correctly til I used my BFC on it. Yes I do work for a shop, we happen to work on ferrari's, lambo's and other exotic cars. Bending the exhaust tips with a crow bar isn't going to hurt it man. How else do you straight it out without cutting the tip off and rewelding it? Just put a shop rage around the bar and youll be fine.

Quick Reply: Top speed Pro-1 axle-back installed