Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

aristo swap issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-11, 04:24 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default aristo swap issue

hey swap gurus , i have a small issue

did the 2jzgte vvti swap into a 1999 gs 300 .. swap took 4 hrs , wiring done , had a small issue with ecu getting maf signal so had a check engine and because obdII car went into limp mode , have since got that corrected, however heres my current issue

check engine light is off now , car revs cleanly thru 3k so no more limp mode but while driving under load and trying to accelerate briskly car bogs and to confirm this i connected a aem wideband to verify what the ecu and fueling is doing

idle a/f is high 14 to mid 15's so thats perfect , cruising the same under light load but the moment i try to accelerate a/f goes right to 10 so its pig rich hence the studdering

i have a walbro in tank with -6an to the front , in the tank i am using the sard jet pump killer to eliminate the small regulator in tank ,the -6an line is connected to the bottom of the block where the fuel pulsation is located ... should i bypass the damper and connect directly to rail..is the stock aristo on rail fpr not good enough to control pressure at rail , should i use a aftermarket fuel pressure regualtor

we did scan ecu with a jdm scanner and found a fault code with the o2 sensor ,although its not triggering a check engine ,could that be telling the ecu to dump fuel

any help here would be much appreciated
Old 03-01-11, 06:38 AM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

unplug the O2 and just have it run in fixed map.

the fuel damper wouldnt cause any issues.

sounds like spark to me, i would check the coilpacks/connectors/wires, and try different plugs. when the coilpack boots wear out on those, they're famous for carbon tracking down the side of the spark plug.

what plugs are you using? the wasted spark 2j's require specific plugs. you should be running BKR6EKPB11, NGK Part:3452
Old 03-06-11, 05:09 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bippu147
unplug the O2 and just have it run in fixed map.

the fuel damper wouldnt cause any issues.

sounds like spark to me, i would check the coilpacks/connectors/wires, and try different plugs. when the coilpack boots wear out on those, they're famous for carbon tracking down the side of the spark plug.

what plugs are you using? the wasted spark 2j's require specific plugs. you should be running BKR6EKPB11, NGK Part:3452
so you possibly plugs .. i tried a brand new maf and another map sensor and no difference..i am using iridium 7 heat range plugs ..you think the plugs are too cold
Old 03-07-11, 01:00 AM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

maybe, stock is 6. Run those plugs that I recommended, those are OEM on the Aristo
Old 03-09-11, 04:24 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The fuel damper will inhibit flow if anything, so theoretically it will only make your problem worse. Could be a spark problem..how much boost are you running? Have you checked the gap on your plugs? Are you using a BCC?

If you are running more boost than factory or a single without a DLI you will need to close the gap on your plugs a little bit. A good place to start on gap is .032, running wasted spark and a lot of boost without a DLI you may need to go down as low as .028.
Old 03-10-11, 03:54 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by macd7919
The fuel damper will inhibit flow if anything, so theoretically it will only make your problem worse. Could be a spark problem..how much boost are you running? Have you checked the gap on your plugs? Are you using a BCC?

If you are running more boost than factory or a single without a DLI you will need to close the gap on your plugs a little bit. A good place to start on gap is .032, running wasted spark and a lot of boost without a DLI you may need to go down as low as .028.
no bcc installed yet ,,car is on stock twins in sequential factory mode...so hittings 14 lbs almost instantly...i was using 7 heat range iridiums and am going to put back in some stock 6 range ngk 3452.....on the back of the intake plen , right off the back theres a nipple where a small square box was attached via a vacumn line to another small vent pipe coming up near the frame rail... i gas the is how the gas tank vents or something.....
Old 04-15-11, 06:28 AM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by lexforlife
on the back of the intake plen , right off the back theres a nipple where a small square box was attached via a vacumn line to another small vent pipe coming up near the frame rail... i gas the is how the gas tank vents or something.....

See the pics I posted in this other thread for how the evap system routes on the aristo manifold.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...9-gs300-3.html
Old 05-23-11, 07:32 PM
1jnando
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey, wat was your issue with the car getting into limp mode around 3k, cuz thats wat im havin now... thanx