Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Intake for only $44.99? Makoto auto trends need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-11, 09:12 AM
LEXAUDI
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me rephrase. What elements (pipe or cone or whatever) makes an intake a good one? If all the elements are there what makes a difference which one you buy?
Old 03-14-11, 09:18 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXAUDI
Still not following as to why makes a CAI vs short ram when it comes to the pipe or the cone filter or whatever. Is it just that there is nowhere under the hood that you can get to in order to draw cold air?
Yes.

A CAI has an intake low to the ground and outside the engine bay, so that it ingests cold air... that's what the C is for.

The short rams are a big open cone inside the engine bay. That's about as far from "cold" air as you can get in an intake.

Take a look at this:
http://krystmsgarage.com/?p=283

that's a cold air intake. It's not just a cone sitting in the engine bay.

For the 2IS there aren't any CAIs. You could make your own if you don't mind cutting through some metal.

If you want a bolt-on then just get the Joe Z. It's cheap, looks and fits well, and provides the maximum gain while retaining the closed stock air box rather than just sucking hot air through an open cone filter.

All the short rams on the 2IS are there for noise/show, not performance.
Old 03-14-11, 09:37 AM
LEXAUDI
Rookie

I gotcha now. Thanks for clearing it up. Do you get any sound with a joez? And where would be a good place to find one for a good price
Old 03-14-11, 10:50 AM
ximd
Pole Position

I gotcha now. Thanks for clearing it up. Do you get any sound with a joez? And where would be a good place to find one for a good price
won't notice it like you do with an ordinary short ram.
Old 03-14-11, 11:39 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

The Joe Z is pretty quiet... but if you want more noise you can cut a hole in the stock lower airbox to make it similar to the F-sport lower airbox, that'll produce a nice sound above 3k rpms... there's a couple threads on folks who have done so if you do a search.

Far as I know only place to buy it is here:

http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=2804
Old 03-14-11, 01:19 PM
LEXAUDI
Rookie

What would be the disadvantage of purchasing the kit I posted above if everything you need is there?
Old 03-14-11, 05:36 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

What would be the disadvantage of purchasing the kit I posted above if everything you need is there?
The fit and finish will be crap, so you'll probably cut yourself a couple times on unfinished metal edges... and it might not line up great...and it might not be a perfectly tight seal everywhere... and the engine covers might not go back on...

but it'll probably function as an intake once you get it on there.
Old 03-15-11, 06:20 PM
LEXAUDI
Rookie

i spoke to the company, a tech answered and was very knowledgeable. he installed one in his friends is250 said its good. its comparable to the fujita he said, but he said he recommends upgrading the filter [its a no namer]. it would probably be a cool cheap set up, but im looking for a fujita if anyone on here has one for sale
Old 03-16-11, 09:25 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aliu603
^there are no CAI's for the 2IS
not yet.....
Old 03-16-11, 09:28 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
The fit and finish will be crap, so you'll probably cut yourself a couple times on unfinished metal edges... and it might not line up great...and it might not be a perfectly tight seal everywhere... and the engine covers might not go back on...

but it'll probably function as an intake once you get it on there.

well said. THis has ALWAYS been my experience with these too good to be true intakes. Often, they will use an aluminum alloy that barely passes as decorative category. Its incredibly thin walled and made with no care at all. You'll have burrs and jagged edges where it needs to be smooth for optimal flow.

here's a for instance: A 3 foot aluminum tube of the proper alloy content will run you about 50-60 just in material. Then you have to have it measured and bent. THen you have to weld (aluminum mind you) a port for the mass airflow and also for the vacuumm tube. Oh and then you have to source an open air filter as well as the couplers and clamps.

All of this for 50 bucks when the aluminum material should cost that alone?

No sir.....never gonna be what you expect.
Old 03-18-11, 07:51 PM
LEXAUDI
Rookie

^^ good point