Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

TBKO Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-02, 11:00 PM
Turbo'd_Wxman
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Sentinel
Well we all drive is300s not supras or sc300 or gs300 so for me at least your time with is300s is all that counts lots of shops have experience tuning supras.

Sentinel, I really don't understand what in the world you are trying to say. It is not the car you are tuning, but the engine. If two cars have the same engine, then it is obvious that the experience is transferred. If you have a metro with a 2JZ-GTE engine, does that mean you will only go to a shop that has experience tuning metro's? The 2JZ-GE engine is the same in the N/A Supra and the IS300, so I am not sure your point is valid. Also, a lot of shops have experience with Supras, but PHR's reputation with the Supras is the best. Everyone will admit that they are one of the best, if not the best 2JZ-GTE tuners in the world.

ISDude, hmmm transmission hmmmm, not sure.

Last edited by Turbo'd_Wxman; 08-31-02 at 11:02 PM.
Old 09-01-02, 12:32 AM
IS_Dude
Driver

Originally posted by Turbo'd_Wxman

ISDude, hmmm transmission hmmmm, not sure.
gotcha
Old 09-01-02, 10:35 AM
isman
Pole Position

Hey Wxman,

I agree with your point about a shop that tunes Supras should be familiar with is300 and although the engine codes for is300 and Supra N/A are the same, it's still quite different. The difference = VVTi. Big diff. there in tuning methods. We went over this many times on the is300 forum. Just FYI. Hey what's up Sentinel.
Old 09-01-02, 06:01 PM
Turbo'd_Wxman
Pole Position

Originally posted by isman
Hey Wxman,

I agree with your point about a shop that tunes Supras should be familiar with is300 and although the engine codes for is300 and Supra N/A are the same, it's still quite different. The difference = VVTi. Big diff. there in tuning methods. We went over this many times on the is300 forum. Just FYI. Hey what's up Sentinel.
I guess this is just going to turn in a classic is300.net post, wait this is clublexus. I am done trying to convince you guys. One last statement... 350 rwhp at 7 psi. Who has more rwhp at 7 psi?
Old 09-01-02, 07:57 PM
isman
Pole Position

Hey Wxman,

Take it easy fellow .net member and fellow is owner. No one is taking away anything from PHR. That has been recognized period. Just pointing out the fact Supra N/A engine and IS300 engine is not totally same. That's it. Geeeshh
Old 09-01-02, 08:57 PM
EmoDragRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

whoa the battle rages on/.... both points are made.. and made well... see the thing is yes the VVTI is a difference.. but a seen difference that some Supra tuners have had to battle prior... hence the 1998 NA supra has a VVTI GE motor in it jsut like the IS300 one... the biggest difference between the two is the ECU.. OBD 1 OBD 2 ver whatever I think it is 2 or 3 that makes it harder to tune slightly.. and also the multilink is a tougher task to work with...

if it is VVTI you are worrying about well to be honest that is the least of your worries you can always disable it if you know how too.. and then move on from there... the basic power tuning of the IS GE motor with a Turbo and GTE motor is the same... only very small humps you need to get over.. but once you get it down.. like Lance well there is no turning back...
Old 09-01-02, 09:01 PM
EmoDragRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I can understand ppls skepticism with kits and shops right now cept for lance jsut cause of the amount of cars he has done and the lack of problems he has had.... I dont blame them... beleive me... I have been thru NITEMARES.. and most everyone knows them... hence TICALIS has been thru some headaches as well.. we jsut move forward and keep pushin for more out of our cars...
Old 09-01-02, 09:18 PM
Turbo'd_Wxman
Pole Position

Originally posted by EmoDragRacer
whoa the battle rages on/.... both points are made.. and made well... see the thing is yes the VVTI is a difference.. but a seen difference that some Supra tuners have had to battle prior... hence the 1998 NA supra has a VVTI GE motor in it jsut like the IS300 one... the biggest difference between the two is the ECU.. OBD 1 OBD 2 ver whatever I think it is 2 or 3 that makes it harder to tune slightly.. and also the multilink is a tougher task to work with...

if it is VVTI you are worrying about well to be honest that is the least of your worries you can always disable it if you know how too.. and then move on from there... the basic power tuning of the IS GE motor with a Turbo and GTE motor is the same... only very small humps you need to get over.. but once you get it down.. like Lance well there is no turning back...
Thanks Brian, when I say things no one seems to listen though.
Old 09-01-02, 10:23 PM
IS_Dude
Driver

Originally posted by Turbo'd_Wxman

Thanks Brian, when I say things no one seems to listen though.
It's not that people don't listen. We all know what PHR is capable of and that they are a great tuner. You've said it many times, but we knew it before then. We also all know that Lance knows the 2jz better than just about anyone. His and Jarret's tuning abilities are incredible. I have a friend that took his Integra to Lance. Unbelievable custom work and tuning job. And when you are as satisfied as you are, it speeks volumes about the tuner. Just like Freelance and SC300Turbo and Guru22.

We also know that everyone is starting basically from scratch on the electronics package w/ the IS but once they gets through that it's just the same old GE and there's no surprises. But they have to pass those hurdles first. there's a ton of tuners out there working on IS's that aren't on these boards. That proves this.

We all find the tuner that has the kit or install we like, handover our keys and a wad of money and get horsepower. Some tuners fit some peoples needs better than others. When you are completely satisfied that means you picked the right tuner.
Old 09-04-02, 01:44 PM
Sentinel
Pole Position

everyone is so touchy now a days. All i was saying is that the is300 electronic are more complex then that of a supra. THAT IS ALL. I have nothing against any tuners (quite the opposite the more tuners the better). But Toyomoto is the only one with alot of times on there cars.

That being said when I go turbo I doubt Ill be going with toyomoto because of distance and $$$. But if i wanted a proven solution it be toyomoto.

Hey isman I still want those hood pins.
Old 09-04-02, 02:46 PM
isman
Pole Position

Hey Sentinel,

Sorry buddy, the hood pin is on my car now . I had to put them on cause don't wanna mess things up especially after boost (just to be safe). Ask Rob at Fizz. Think they're like $40. or something.
Old 09-04-02, 05:59 PM
Sentinel
Pole Position

noo!!!!!!!!!! ok

Originally posted by isman
Hey Sentinel,

Sorry buddy, the hood pin is on my car now . I had to put them on cause don't wanna mess things up especially after boost (just to be safe). Ask Rob at Fizz. Think they're like $40. or something.
Old 09-06-02, 01:10 PM
IrishIS300
Driver School Candidate

Question

How much does a full install on a quality turbo cost? And what are the risks? I mean if you have a ton of miles on the car is it not a good idea? How many miles should you have?
Old 09-06-02, 01:48 PM
Turbo'd_Wxman
Pole Position

Originally posted by IrishIS300
How much does a full install on a quality turbo cost? And what are the risks? I mean if you have a ton of miles on the car is it not a good idea? How many miles should you have?
Cost to install a bolt-on turbo is about $1000 or so. Now, if you put a turbo kit on that is in house only, it will cost more since there is dyno tuning involved. The dyno tune will almost always produce more horsepower though.

Now for the miles thing, I recently saw a Supra with 100,000 miles on the original stock engine and a single turbo conversion dyno at 780 rwhp. So, if you have taken care of a car, I wouldn't worry. SC300Turbo has over 100,000 miles too I think.
Old 09-06-02, 02:25 PM
IS300TURBO
Driver

1k....nope....

Installation is $2,000 and it takes 2 weeks or less.

Thanks,

Ray
Powerhouse Racing, Inc.
Sales Department
(817) 529-4800
(817) 529-4801 Fax
www.PowerHouseRacing.com

Quick Reply: TBKO Turbo