Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

M2 Axle-back

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-11 | 06:52 PM
CarbonDtls
Lead Lap

Anyone else feel a loss of power with the M2. Seems my cars sluggish and i'm trying to figure out why.
Old 05-22-11 | 08:40 PM
nastyemu
Driver

Just installed mine this weekend too... here are some quick thoughts:

Didn't use the supplied hardware for the main coupling as it won't fit and had to go buy new bolts (M10-1.25) that fit the threading of the OEM flange. The OEM hardware (spring) was incredibly difficult to get back on since there's no way to compress the spring to allow the bolt to start threading so we opted for new hardware instead.

It's louder than I anticipated but that's not necessarily a bad thing... I don't think it's quite as quiet as the Tanabe.

My fitment was way off too, the driver side sits high and to the left and was less than a half inch from touching the plastic of the bumper. The right-side was very low. I haven't had time to make any adjustments just yet but I was able to use a zip tie through the rubber hanger to pull it into a better position on the driver's side. It looks like I'll have to bend the metal rails like other's have done to get a better/permanent alignment....

I don't feel any sort of power gain or loss but I also didn't expect any...
Old 05-22-11 | 09:14 PM
stasis3131
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CarbonDtls
Anyone else feel a loss of power with the M2. Seems my cars sluggish and i'm trying to figure out why.
i dont feel any loss of power at all nor do i feel a gain.

Originally Posted by nastyemu
Just installed mine this weekend too... here are some quick thoughts:

Didn't use the supplied hardware for the main coupling as it won't fit and had to go buy new bolts (M10-1.25) that fit the threading of the OEM flange. The OEM hardware (spring) was incredibly difficult to get back on since there's no way to compress the spring to allow the bolt to start threading so we opted for new hardware instead.

It's louder than I anticipated but that's not necessarily a bad thing... I don't think it's quite as quiet as the Tanabe.

My fitment was way off too, the driver side sits high and to the left and was less than a half inch from touching the plastic of the bumper. The right-side was very low. I haven't had time to make any adjustments just yet but I was able to use a zip tie through the rubber hanger to pull it into a better position on the driver's side. It looks like I'll have to bend the metal rails like other's have done to get a better/permanent alignment....

I don't feel any sort of power gain or loss but I also didn't expect any...
the factory bolts are hard to get back in. thats why i used a cordless impact. you can buy the new hardware like you did but with the right tools no need to. and it took me some tweaking to get the exhaust to sit perfect. but after about 10 minutes it was golden. my buddy has a tanabe he thought mine was quieter at a stand still or cruise but at WOT the m2 sounds a bit more aggressive maybe a db or 2 louder but nothing major. he actually just sold his tanabe for 475 and bought this exhaust saturday. then used the extra money to get a new lip kit lol. i just installed my jp viz kit today fits perfect and i love the look. well i actually bought the kit from bayson r off ebay, i was suprised that i didnt have to use a bit of heat to install it. perfect fitment only issue i had was i had to go buy some better 3m tape cause theirs was already installed and didnt stick so well

m2 looks pretty nice with the new lips installed.

glad you got your exhaust though bro after about 500 miles of it being on the car it will get a tad bit quieter. aleast mine did.
Old 05-23-11 | 07:56 AM
Stylnhonda
Lexus Test Driver

The WOT sounds good to me. The just putting around sound it a bit annoying in the cabin. May just be the automatic though. Shift every damn second it seems.

Still need to try and get my drivers side tip straight. May keep the exhaust on for a while to see if I get use to it.

So did anyone's OEM unit have a gallon of water in it?
Old 05-23-11 | 08:46 AM
nastyemu
Driver

Originally Posted by Stylnhonda
The WOT sounds good to me. The just putting around sound it a bit annoying in the cabin. May just be the automatic though. Shift every damn second it seems.

Still need to try and get my drivers side tip straight. May keep the exhaust on for a while to see if I get use to it.

So did anyone's OEM unit have a gallon of water in it?
I did notice the cabin noise too when it's accelerating even when at cruising speed but after 2 days I don't notice it as much. My GF remarked on the "car being louder" but otherwise hasn't had anything else to say since then-- so I think it passes my loudness test.

I had no water in my OEM pipe but a couple dead bees did fall out when I picked it up. You'd think water would boil off and evaporate if it's sitting in a hot pipe?
Old 05-23-11 | 08:51 AM
rcracer
Pole Position

Post pics with new lip

Originally Posted by stasis3131
i dont feel any loss of power at all nor do i feel a gain.

m2 looks pretty nice with the new lips installed.

glad you got your exhaust though bro after about 500 miles of it being on the car it will get a tad bit quieter. aleast mine did.
Old 05-23-11 | 09:51 AM
Stylnhonda
Lexus Test Driver

I'm not sure! My car had not been washed in over a week nor in the rain in over a week. I sat the OEM exhaust down for a bit, then later my wife and I picked it up to take it to the basement when water just started to roll out. Still sounds like there is some sloshing around in the mufflers.
Old 05-23-11 | 04:13 PM
stasis3131
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rcracer
Post pics with new lip
ask and you shall recieve installed the roof wing today... get it of ebay from oemthing surprised the paint matched perfect since i know of 5 other people on here with GFM paint codes that it came out wrong.

Old 05-23-11 | 07:00 PM
Silkky
Lead Lap

Looks good! I'm debating if I want to get another spoiler from oemthing and pray that it matches this time.
Old 05-23-11 | 07:15 PM
stasis3131
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Silkky
Looks good! I'm debating if I want to get another spoiler from oemthing and pray that it matches this time.
man mine came out perfect... after u told me about what happened to you i advised that i wanted a full refund if it was milky looking and he said he has a better painter that doesnt skimp on the pearl and has better quality paints and skills so i gave it a go. and i was happy will the final results

i will take a pic tomorrow in better light so you can see if that will help you out
Old 05-24-11 | 08:22 AM
DrockSMASH
Driver School Candidate

Ordered my M2 last night !
Old 05-25-11 | 10:33 AM
leftyjohn
Rookie

S/B installing mine this weekend. Is it easier to bolt it together before installing or installing each piece separately
thanks----------------LJ
Old 05-25-11 | 10:34 AM
nastyemu
Driver

Originally Posted by leftyjohn
S/B installing mine this weekend. Is it easier to bolt it together before installing or installing each piece separately
thanks----------------LJ
Well there's only 2 pieces... it's easier to bolt on the larger piece, then add the second.
Old 05-25-11 | 10:41 AM
DrockSMASH
Driver School Candidate

Anyone wanna tell me how easy the install is? Total car noob and wondering if I should pay someone to install the M2
Old 05-25-11 | 10:57 AM
nastyemu
Driver

Originally Posted by DrockSMASH
Anyone wanna tell me how easy the install is? Total car noob and wondering if I should pay someone to install the M2
Pretty easy but not a 30 minute install like some people will say. As long as you have some ramps or something and a friend to hand you the parts so you don't scrape them all over your driveway you should be able to get it done yourself.

The hardware you receive with the unit won't fit so you'll have to use the OEM hardware which has a bolt/spring. Unfortunately for me, when trying to bolt up the M2 using the OEM hardware I had no way to compress the spring enough to allow the bolt to start threading. I went out and got a couple new bolts and crush washers and it went right on. Stick the rails through the hangers and you're set.

The alignment WILL be off for the tips/bumper so expect to spend some time figuring out a way to either bend the rails or move the hangers in such a way to make it perfect.

Quick Reply: M2 Axle-back