Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

M2 Axle-back

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-12, 05:32 AM
funglenn
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are there any performance gains? I have also heard some other models have gas milage improvements....
Old 04-09-12, 04:04 PM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've personally noticed nothing performance wise, and my driving is too dynamic to really gauge if there was an improvement in mileage either. Hard to really notice anything on that small of a level anyway with the butt dyno. I think it sounds wonderful though. Fairly quiet and deep.
Old 04-10-12, 11:48 AM
TxAdamFitz
Driver School Candidate

Default 06 IS350 - M2 Exhaust Gasket?

For those of you who installed it yourself, did you use the original gasket that came on the factory exhaust and original bolts w/ springs?

The bolts that came in the kit were the wrong thread pitch, and the new exhaust didn't slide over the OEM gasket that fits around the pipe like a donut. Leaving about half an inch of space between the stock flange and the M2 flange.

I also tried removing the donut shaped gasket, using the supplied gasket, but since the bolt thread pitch was wrong, and the oem spring bolts were not long enough, I ended up using the donut gasket with the oem spring bolts.

Major pain trying to get those bolts on with the spring. Had to apply pressure to get the threads to line up.

In the end, the pipe on the passenger side stuck out further than the drivers side. Took it to a muffler shop and they had to redo the drivers side pipe to line up properly. They originally tried bending / heating / bending pipes and hangers to get it to fit. The ebay seller never responded to my message to him.

If someone can clarify what gasket / bolts they used, that would be good. Perhaps I got the wrong kit?
Old 04-10-12, 01:58 PM
nastyemu
Driver

Originally Posted by TxAdamFitz
For those of you who installed it yourself, did you use the original gasket that came on the factory exhaust and original bolts w/ springs?

The bolts that came in the kit were the wrong thread pitch, and the new exhaust didn't slide over the OEM gasket that fits around the pipe like a donut. Leaving about half an inch of space between the stock flange and the M2 flange.
I installed mine like a year ago, and I don't remember exactly but I'm pretty sure I just tossed the spring thingies because they proved impossible to put back on in the cramped space under my car. I ended up just getting some simpler bolts off the shelf at Home Depot and using those.
Old 04-10-12, 08:20 PM
USB_F
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I forget the page of this thread, but it has the size of the bolts you can buy instead of using the oem spring bolts. That's what I did...
Old 04-10-12, 08:32 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Does this work for the AWD IS250?
Old 04-10-12, 09:16 PM
tp350
Rookie

Originally Posted by nastyemu
Just installed mine this weekend too... here are some quick thoughts:

Didn't use the supplied hardware for the main coupling as it won't fit and had to go buy new bolts (M10-1.25) that fit the threading of the OEM flange. The OEM hardware (spring) was incredibly difficult to get back on since there's no way to compress the spring to allow the bolt to start threading so we opted for new hardware instead.
Here is the post where it tells you what size bolts to use.
Old 04-11-12, 12:24 AM
tedward88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by reyoasian
Does this work for the AWD IS250?
Yes because RWD and AWD axle back part of the exhaust are the same
Old 04-11-12, 02:22 PM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TxAdamFitz

I also tried removing the donut shaped gasket, using the supplied gasket, but since the bolt thread pitch was wrong, and the oem spring bolts were not long enough, I ended up using the donut gasket with the oem spring bolts.

Major pain trying to get those bolts on with the spring. Had to apply pressure to get the threads to line up.

In the end, the pipe on the passenger side stuck out further than the drivers side. Took it to a muffler shop and they had to redo the drivers side pipe to line up properly. They originally tried bending / heating / bending pipes and hangers to get it to fit. The ebay seller never responded to my message to him.

If someone can clarify what gasket / bolts they used, that would be good. Perhaps I got the wrong kit?

Mine didn't come with ANY hardware. I reused the factory doughnut gasket and bolt/springs. They went back on fine (as long as you are aware that significant pressure must be applied to the springs to get the bolts threaded up. Much easier to do on a lift with power tools. The hardware was also missing to bolt the 2 halves together. I went to Checker Auto and they let me rummage through their parts bin until I found a gasket that fit that part and got some grade a bolts to bolt up the two halves. I had to bend one hangar on the drivers side for proper alignment and it was good to go.

My take on it is that you cannot expect much for the price.

Last edited by kyoso23; 04-11-12 at 02:28 PM.
Old 04-11-12, 02:24 PM
funglenn
Lead Lap

Yes, but now that it is 300 bucks, I DO expect more! I expected something that fits and has all the parts--perhaps I will steer clear of M2.... and go Megan or just delete the resonator on the stock one for now...
Old 04-11-12, 02:32 PM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

$300 is still less than half the price of the other units, and has the most reserved sound (like the Tanabe). Depends on what you want and if you're willing to do a few extra things (or not) to save some $. It seems like almost every person's experience with this M2 so far has been a little different than the last. Quality control is definitely lacking. lol
Old 04-11-12, 03:27 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kyoso23
$300 is still less than half the price of the other units, and has the most reserved sound (like the Tanabe). Depends on what you want and if you're willing to do a few extra things (or not) to save some $. It seems like almost every person's experience with this M2 so far has been a little different than the last. Quality control is definitely lacking. lol
At $300 I'd probably suggest folks just find a nice used Tanabe for $400 and not have quality control or correct parts issues to worry about (plus have better resale value for the part when they get rid of the car and put the stock piece back)
Old 04-11-12, 05:18 PM
PlacidBoi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yup my right side sticks out a little bit more than my left side.
I have the JPVizage kit so you can hardly tell!
Old 04-12-12, 08:31 AM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kurtz
At $300 I'd probably suggest folks just find a nice used Tanabe for $400 and not have quality control or correct parts issues to worry about (plus have better resale value for the part when they get rid of the car and put the stock piece back)
Basically this....
Old 04-12-12, 11:48 AM
vincerulz
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kyoso23
Basically this....
It sucks for me .. I want a nice used Tanabe for 400$ but the shipping kill the deal so bad -____-" is like pay lil bit more to get a new one.

Quick Reply: M2 Axle-back