Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

M2 Axle-back

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-13, 01:54 PM
1BadTitan
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=QuangTran;8060525]that's great there is a bit at first when it's new, but it reduced a bit in the beginning. That or maybe I just got used to it so it sounds quieter. But this is my exhaust after 5 months of having it and that's how it sounds so not too bad. City speeds not too much, my music usually covers most of it up so it's not a big deal. Highway there is a bit as well but music covers it too. You hear it/drones between 2-4k RPM but it's depends on your preference! I personally like it and wish it was a bit louder for my taste so i'll probably go with a midpipe in the future. Keep in mind that this was recorded when the engine was warmed up. When it's cold it's not as loud, atleast that's what I've noticed for mine.
[/Q

There is a difference between a little exhaust noise in the car and actual drone. Drone is that tone that gets in your brain and resonates around the car terribly. Exhaust note is just a little hum that sounds alright and you dont mind hearing.
Old 07-27-13, 01:57 PM
1BadTitan
Rookie

Can someone post a decent video of the interior noise levels with windows closed and getting into it. I'm on the fence, this exhaust was my reason for actually joining this forum, seeing all the interest in the thread, I can tell it may be worth a shot, but through all these posts, there is still the undetermined inside the cabin noise levels.
Old 07-27-13, 04:28 PM
qtrann
Pole Position

Yeah with windows up there is drone. I guess I wasn't very specific, my bad. There is drone around those RPMs, but I don't think it's that bad so that's up to you and your tolerance of it.
Old 07-27-13, 05:53 PM
allicedout
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1BadTitan
Can someone post a decent video of the interior noise levels with windows closed and getting into it. I'm on the fence, this exhaust was my reason for actually joining this forum, seeing all the interest in the thread, I can tell it may be worth a shot, but through all these posts, there is still the undetermined inside the cabin noise levels.
I've owned many many cars and unfortunately no video will replicate the real thing. It's one of those things you can't judge until you hear it for yourself.
Old 07-27-13, 07:18 PM
1BadTitan
Rookie

Originally Posted by QuangTran
Yeah with windows up there is drone. I guess I wasn't very specific, my bad. There is drone around those RPMs, but I don't think it's that bad so that's up to you and your tolerance of it.
Can you talk over it without raising your voice? Does it feel like you have to put the windows down to alliviate the pressure, or would it be like more of a quiet hum?

Originally Posted by allicedout
I've owned many many cars and unfortunately no video will replicate the real thing. It's one of those things you can't judge until you hear it for yourself.
Yea, unfortunatly you're right... This might just be one of those things I'll have to learn the hard way.
Old 07-27-13, 09:28 PM
qtrann
Pole Position

[QUOTE=1BadTitan;8061102]Can you talk over it without raising your voice? Does it feel like you have to put the windows down to alliviate the pressure, or would it be like more of a quiet hum?

Yeah I can. It's kind of like a hum to me.. I honestly don't think it's that bad. Like I said before, it seemed like it reduced a bit after the first week or two. That, or I just got used to it so you might too?
Old 07-28-13, 12:14 AM
joshua28
Pit Crew

I'm thinking about getting this M2 exhaust on ebay. If I decide to install Takeda short ram intake...which will be louder? Will the sound from the M2 drown out the sound from the intake? Or is it better to just get one instead of both? I know there will be minimal performance changes and mostly sound. Will having both the m2 axle back and takeda sri wake up the neighbors? Lol just want to know some details before I buy...
Old 07-28-13, 07:46 AM
1BadTitan
Rookie

Originally Posted by joshua28
I'm thinking about getting this M2 exhaust on ebay. If I decide to install Takeda short ram intake...which will be louder? Will the sound from the M2 drown out the sound from the intake? Or is it better to just get one instead of both? I know there will be minimal performance changes and mostly sound. Will having both the m2 axle back and takeda sri wake up the neighbors? Lol just want to know some details before I buy...
The intake make it rev loud like a civic... If thats what your going for, then have at it. The exhaust seems like it wouldnt wake the neighbors if they were sleeping next to the car. The gains are minimal if any with the intake, its more for asthetics. Same with the exhaust. I also heard the intake will knock 1-2 mpg off your count as well. That might just be from staying on the gas to hear it sucking. Personally, I like the sound of a nismo g37 exhaust, I'd like to duplicate that, but without any in cabin drone. I like the quiet inside.
Old 07-28-13, 09:04 AM
joshua28
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 1BadTitan
The intake make it rev loud like a civic... If thats what your going for, then have at it. The exhaust seems like it wouldnt wake the neighbors if they were sleeping next to the car. The gains are minimal if any with the intake, its more for asthetics. Same with the exhaust. I also heard the intake will knock 1-2 mpg off your count as well. That might just be from staying on the gas to hear it sucking. Personally, I like the sound of a nismo g37 exhaust, I'd like to duplicate that, but without any in cabin drone. I like the quiet inside.
do you think i should just get the takeda intake or the m2?...or ...fore-go both and get a more expensive exhaust system? if so, any suggestions? i don't really want drone in the cabin or the car to be too loud. i still want to retain the image of a lexus luxury and not a rice rocket. I want a more throaty and aggressive sound over the stock with maybe little hp gains.
Old 07-28-13, 10:41 AM
1BadTitan
Rookie

do you think i should just get the takeda intake or the m2?...or ...fore-go both and get a more expensive exhaust system? if so, any suggestions? i don't really want drone in the cabin or the car to be too loud. i still want to retain the image of a lexus luxury and not a rice rocket. I want a more throaty and aggressive sound over the stock with maybe little hp gains.
That exactly what I'm looking for. I'd say get one or the other, but I wouldnt do both. Then again, I'm on here to gather info so I dont make the wrong decision either, so what do I know. All I can go from is the cars I've built in the past. In my past experience I've found this... Whe I put an AEM intake on my Nissan Titan, everyone thought I had put exhaust on it from the throaty growl from just the intake, it actually deepened the exhaust note. On my 1.8t GTi I had a 3" turbo back exhaust and Injen intake and it soumnded amazing, virtually no drone, just a quiet hum inside the cabin from a mellow exhaust note. On my civic, I had injen intake, and a tanabe exhaust and if not for the intake, I wouldnt have even known an exhaust was on there from inside the car. This is just my past experience, I'm trying to use that and all of your opinions to make the best choice in buying this M2 setup
Old 07-28-13, 11:13 AM
joshua28
Pit Crew

http://www.ebay.com/itm/M2-Performance-Stainless-Axle-Back-Exhaust-System-2006-2011-Lexus-IS250-IS350-/380551422475?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AIS250&hash=item589aa1e20b&vxp=mtr
That's weird...in the compatibility list, it says AWD IS250 models will not fit. I thought axleback exhaust systems will fit on all is250 regardless of awd or rwd.
Old 07-28-13, 03:46 PM
1BadTitan
Rookie

M2 Performance Stainless Axle Back Exhaust System 2006 2011 Lexus IS250 Is350 | eBay

That's weird...in the compatibility list, it says AWD IS250 models will not fit. I thought axleback exhaust systems will fit on all is250 regardless of awd or rwd.
I saw that too... I was wondering the same.
Old 07-28-13, 10:10 PM
joshua28
Pit Crew

Anywhere to buy this exhaust for under 250$? I see one on ebay for $264, but anywhere else??? thanks in advance!!
Old 07-28-13, 10:30 PM
nitrotang
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

M2 Performance Stainless Axle Back Exhaust System 2006 2011 Lexus IS250 Is350 | eBay

Yea, I don't know why it says that. But I can tell you from firsthand experience that it fits on AWD, haha.
Old 07-29-13, 04:20 AM
allicedout
Rookie

Been on the wall trying to make the same decision. I've eliminated the Takedo intake in favor of the Joe Z intake pipe and stock box. Trying to stay away from excesive noise, will drop the hammer on the M2 exhaust any day now and figure if after a while I'm looking for a little more sound I'll drop in a midpipe and call it a day.

Quick Reply: M2 Axle-back