Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

M2 Axle-back

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-13, 07:24 AM
TheVille
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So after numerous weeks of research i think im going to purchase the M2 exhaust for the $264. What do you guys think? is it worth the $264? Does it last like other exhausts (brand name)???
I can get an HKS hi power for $550, but i really dont care for the exhaust tips (i think they are too big).
Please let me know what your opinions are, i am going back and forth, i want to buy the M2 because the price is right, but i dont know how nice it is for being an "offbrand"
Old 07-29-13, 08:45 AM
An2ny
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Installed the M2 yesterday.

The exhaust arrived in a busted box, but everything was fine inside.
It comes with the 2 piece exhaust cat back 4 bolts and washers (Different sizes) and 2 gaskets (different sizes)

1) The original OEM bolts with springs did not reach the nut in the stock exhaust, you have to use the springs to maintain the pressure on the bolt. I compressed the spring completely and held it with zip ties and held pressure with a pair of pliers between the cat back and the stock exhaust…still had a hard time to make it fit perfect, so I just used different bolts since I didn’t want to force the bolt and not be able to get a secure seal in this location, I used some other exhaust bolts that I had without issue (Any high grade bolt in the correct size will work) take the stock ones out and check the size or take them with you to get new ones, the ones provided in with the exhaust will not fit here.
I did not use the gasket here since it attaches to a donut stile and the gasket is not going to do anything there. I checked for leaks later and it was perfect.

2) The second section the “driver side section” here you need to use the smaller gasket and bolts provided with the exhaust, the gasket was really off so I had to grind the bolt holes and the actual hole to make it fit properly, if you don’t want to fix it, you may be able to get a same size gasket when you go to get the bolts, take this one with you to get a same size one that is properly made.
Again after grinded a bit, no leaks in this section either.

3) The driver side tip will sit a bit lower than the other side…So before you install the driver side section bent the rear hangers “Down” in order to bring the tip up. I have not done this yet, but I will try to do it next weekend.

4) The exhaust to me sounds almost like the stock one, I don’t get any noise inside the cabin or even outside…I did not want a loud exhaust at the moment so this is ok. I had it for one day so it may get louder or not…not sure yet, it does smell like something is burning, but that is normal for a new exhaust to give that burning smell for the few couple of miles.

I decided to get this exhaust because;
A) Price is about what an exhaust should cost…this is just the rear section of the exhaust there is no reason to pay thousands of $ for some bent pipes with mufflers.
B) The looks; I have seen the F-Sport and the tips stick out and are not as wide…I just didn’t like the way they look, and the other exhaust like the HKS with those big rear cans are not for me…I think that it looks bad on this car and on any car...but that is just my personal opinion. I do know that they sound better and louder, I just wish the tips where different.

For the people concern about the “quality” well it does look like a cheaper exhaust for sure, the fit and finish is definitely not the best, but it looks strong and tough.
To me it is an exhaust , it is under the car it will get dirty/ rusted/ dented so I do not care, the tips look good enough for me and that is the only part that you really look at it. As long as the exhaust doesn’t break/ crack or completely rust…it is ok to me.

Pic1- The M2 Exhaust installed...(I have not fixed the alignment on the driver’s side) you can that see the driver's side is lower than the passenger side.

Pic2- Stock crappy exhaust, I forgot to weight both exhaust, but the stock one felt heavier by maybe 10lbs, hopefully someone can confirm.

Pic3- No exhaust, I started the car like this and it was not that loud…you may get a lot of drone inside the cabin…and it looks weird without tips…maybe I am used to loud cars :-?

Pic4- Here is the section where the M2 exhaust attaches to your stock muffler; I used new bolts here since the OEM ones did not work well.

Pic5- Stock exhaust for comparison, the M2 tips looks a lot better (in my opinion)
Attached Thumbnails M2 Axle-back-image-14-.jpeg   M2 Axle-back-image-12-.jpeg   M2 Axle-back-image-10-.jpeg   M2 Axle-back-image-8-.jpeg   M2 Axle-back-image.jpeg  

Last edited by An2ny; 07-30-13 at 07:22 AM.
Old 07-29-13, 09:39 AM
allicedout
Rookie

Good info^^^

Any details on sound and more importantly drone! If there is any at what RPM are you getting it? Not to rush you but any details would be helpful. Thanks.
Old 07-29-13, 10:09 AM
one2nite
Rookie

Quantran or anyone if you have time can you post some pull to around 5500rpm?
Old 07-29-13, 12:17 PM
TheVille
Driver

An2ny so in your opinion is the M2 worth it? or should i spend around $500-600 for a brand name exhaust?
Old 07-29-13, 01:03 PM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TheVille
An2ny so in your opinion is the M2 worth it? or should i spend around $500-600 for a brand name exhaust?
What are you looking for from an exhaust? Loud or quiet?
Old 07-29-13, 02:58 PM
joshua28
Pit Crew

Can someone compare this exhaust to the Tanabe MT...are there any noticeable differences between the two? I read throughout the forum that the M2 is essentially the tanabe without the name brand. many have said that the tanabe is too quiet...so is it true for this exhaust as well?
Old 07-29-13, 05:51 PM
qtrann
Pole Position

Originally Posted by one2nite
Quantran or anyone if you have time can you post some pull to around 5500rpm?
Up to 5500 rpm you won't really hear the exhaust. If you have an intake then you'll most likely hear that. The exhaust you only really hear between about 2-4k rpm! After about 4k it kinda goes silent
Old 07-29-13, 05:53 PM
qtrann
Pole Position

Originally Posted by joshua28
Can someone compare this exhaust to the Tanabe MT...are there any noticeable differences between the two? I read throughout the forum that the M2 is essentially the tanabe without the name brand. many have said that the tanabe is too quiet...so is it true for this exhaust as well?
I don't have any experience with the Tanabe, but from what I remember back when I was researching about the M2 before i got mine was that the M2 is a bit louder. That's from what I read around the forums though, someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 07-29-13, 07:10 PM
TheVille
Driver

Originally Posted by bob4256
What are you looking for from an exhaust? Loud or quiet?
Anything really, i really like the sound of the orignal Lexus HKS exhaust, and i also like the f sport as well.
Old 07-29-13, 09:23 PM
joshua28
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by QuangTran
I don't have any experience with the Tanabe, but from what I remember back when I was researching about the M2 before i got mine was that the M2 is a bit louder. That's from what I read around the forums though, someone correct me if I'm wrong.
So how long do you think the M2 will last? Do you see any rust so far? I plan on keeping the M2 for some time as I don't plan on switching to different setups constantly. I intend to stick to one and be satisfied with it. Thanks for your input!
Old 07-29-13, 10:57 PM
qtrann
Pole Position

So how long do you think the M2 will last? Do you see any rust so far? I plan on keeping the M2 for some time as I don't plan on switching to different setups constantly. I intend to stick to one and be satisfied with it. Thanks for your input!
Not yet! The gaskets get rusty though, but I don't have enough knowledge of them to know when the gaskets are completely unusable. You can always get new gaskets! Otherwise the the exhaust itself is fine. The tips get dirty with soot fairly quick in my opinion. Of course you just wipe it off. I also like it clean and try to prevent rust so sometimes I'd get under the car to wipe down the mufflers and pipes as well. 5 months and still going strong though as for how long, I couldn't tell you forsure and I wouldn't want to give you a false estimate, but I think the M2 is fairly sturdy, especially for the price! I'm expecting to stick with it too and add on a midpipe
Old 07-30-13, 05:09 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Anything really, i really like the sound of the orignal Lexus HKS exhaust, and i also like the f sport as well.
Ok so you like the original Lexus HKS which was kind of quiet and you like the fsport which is loud.

Stop giving yourself headaches and buy the M2
Old 07-30-13, 07:32 AM
An2ny
Driver

I updated my post with some pictures.
To me the M2 is worth the $250 price, more than that, probably not.
I was planning to get a custom exhaust, but it was going to cost me over 1K so I decided to get this first and work in the future modifying this M2 to what I want.
The exhaust is barely louder than stock; It does not sound like the F-sport at all, that is the sound that I like, but I will work around this M2…maybe delete the muffler like some people did… I do not hear any drone inside the cabin; I may do some test videos later.
For $500-600, I will get the M2 and an intake…
Old 07-30-13, 07:47 AM
An2ny
Driver

Just as long as any exhaust…this thing is stainless steel.
M2 Performance is an actual company, yes the quality/ fit and finish is not the best and most likely they copied the design from another exhaust company...except the price is a lot lower, but the M2 Company actually exist is not like the “no brand” things that you find in E-bay.

Quick Reply: M2 Axle-back