Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

M2 Axle-back

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-13, 01:02 PM
joshua28
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by allicedout
Mines finally will be getting installed tomorrow. Can't wait its been in the garage for weeks collecting dust!
The sound will be night and day compared to the stock. It's only been a month since my M2 replaced stock but I still enjoy it as much as I did on day 1.
Old 09-18-13, 07:30 PM
DaveLexus
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys whats a good resonator to put with this exhaust to make it sound more throaty pm me thanks!
Old 09-19-13, 12:47 AM
MarioIS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DaveLexus
Hey guys whats a good resonator to put with this exhaust to make it sound more throaty pm me thanks!
Lots of people are installing the invidia midpipe and they seem happy with it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using IB AutoGroup
Old 09-19-13, 05:17 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveLexus
Originally Posted by MarioIS
Lots of people are installing the invidia midpipe and they seem happy with it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using IB AutoGroup
Old 09-20-13, 04:48 PM
DaveLexus
Driver School Candidate

shoot i forgot to mention i have a 07 is250 awd so i cant use that mid pipe :/
Old 09-24-13, 10:32 PM
qtrann
Pole Position

This might be an obvious question but just wondering, has anyone with a resonator delete welded their resonator back on with no problems? I didn't want to get a res delete, I want the invidia midpipe. BUT, it's gonna be a while til I'll be able to get the mipipe (wheels first ) and the M2 alone is too quiet for me. The res delete is growing on me so I think it'll do for now until I get the midpipe. After I get the midpipe I plan to put the resonator back to have a "stock" midpipe again. There shouldn't be any issues right? Everything will be back to normal?
Old 09-24-13, 10:41 PM
joshua28
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by qtrann
This might be an obvious question but just wondering, has anyone with a resonator delete welded their resonator back on with no problems? I didn't want to get a res delete, I want the invidia midpipe. BUT, it's gonna be a while til I'll be able to get the mipipe (wheels first ) and the M2 alone is too quiet for me. The res delete is growing on me so I think it'll do for now until I get the midpipe. After I get the midpipe I plan to put the resonator back to have a "stock" midpipe again. There shouldn't be any issues right? Everything will be back to normal?
Just go for the midpipe! It's not that expensive. I think I saw your wheels in a pic..they will suffice for now lol.
Old 09-24-13, 10:55 PM
qtrann
Pole Position

I'd rather put $300 towards wheels I mean, I already have the axleback, I just want more loud. I like my stocks but I want something with a lip, or possibly concave, and with better offsets than the stocks. And no I don't want to go the spacers route haha
Old 10-05-13, 05:08 AM
allicedout
Rookie

Finally got the M2 installed. Not impressed with fitment and tip quality. Sounds good and at $260 I still think its a pretty good deal.
Old 10-06-13, 11:34 AM
rayzrocket
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Low cost m2/tanabe for $220 Sept 2013

Picked up an axle back for $220 shipped for my 2008 IS350.
I don't know if this is same as name brand units, but i'm not interested in paying for marketing/branding...(however i do like authentic Kirkland brand from Costco)

Pros... very cheap, fits well (not great), very easy to install.
Cons.. box arrived badly beaten up(but no damage or scratches on exhaust)
left side sags a lil bit, i can fix with bending hanger or otherwise
drones like crazy from 2000 to 2800 rpm with throttle (very bad for freeway cruising in 6th gear).

The loud droning sound is due to the fact the resonator cuts out the high..+3000rpm tones.. the axle back cuts out the low frequency stuff <3000rpm..
I didn't change the resonator...

This axleback exhaust, I think is only a straight through pipe, the cans at the end are only empty surrounds on a perforated straight pipe.

in all my exp' of mod'n cars, i never seen an aftermarket exhaust tuned as well as stock systems except for small and big block Detroit V8's.

I've been adding padding (low cost 3/4" pvc floor mats w/ spray adhesive from lowes) to the trunk spaces such as spare tire well...but this does not help a much.. since the entire car is resonating at those low freqs..

From the outside, this exhaust sound FANTASTIC and is a head turner!!! well worth the $220
Attached Thumbnails M2 Axle-back-20130928_155609.jpg  
Old 10-10-13, 12:35 PM
allicedout
Rookie

Originally Posted by rayzrocket
Pros... very cheap, fits well (not great), very easy to install.
Cons.. box arrived badly beaten up(but no damage or scratches on exhaust)
left side sags a lil bit, i can fix with bending hanger or otherwise
drones like crazy from 2000 to 2800 rpm with throttle (very bad for freeway cruising in 6th gear).

The loud droning sound is due to the fact the resonator cuts out the high..+3000rpm tones.. the axle back cuts out the low frequency stuff <3000rpm..
I didn't change the resonator...
I agree with the Pros and Cons except for the drone. I've had mine on for a week now and was on the highway for a good 2 hours yesterday and was able to maintain 120km/h with with no drone. I used cruise control for some of the trip and my foot for the rest, no issues either way. Is there any chance you have a leak from the bolted flange connections? Would be nice to hear a video clip if you can get one and compare.
Old 10-11-13, 09:17 AM
rayzrocket
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, I'll check on the flange joints.
My worst droning is at ~2200 rpm and 30% throttle after 5 minutes of driving (warm).
Kinda like going up a small hill on the freeway at 105km/hr.

I like it for driving around town, but not at all on the freeway.

The entire trunk and cabin seems to resonate at about 100hz, it easily drowns out the low freq's of any music you are listenting to with volume set to about 35.

Hearing ability varies greatly from Human to Human, my brother is nearly deaf and blind compared to me, which is a great attribute to have when you are married with kids.

I'll post any updates when I get a chance to jack with it more.
Old 10-11-13, 09:29 AM
po1qw
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

^ stock or you can go for tanable exhaust which opens up nicely but not much of a difference
Old 10-11-13, 10:30 AM
allicedout
Rookie

Originally Posted by rayzrocket
Hearing ability varies greatly from Human to Human, my brother is nearly deaf and blind compared to me, which is a great attribute to have when you are married with kids.
I guess I may be slightly more tolerant since my last car was a 2005 Supercharged Mustang GT which could be heard for a 5 mile radius!!! (Still miss it once in a while)

Sorry feeling some Mustang love today!!

Old 11-08-13, 10:44 AM
DarthLex
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
A quick eBay search and you would've found it

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-2010-Le...#ht_1873wt_905

Ok had to finally post. Looks like mixed reviews on the exhaust. To me either love hate type of deal. But based on the link above sounds looks kinda fishy. They claim double digit HP gains but everyone seem to only gain sound. Here is a cut and paste of the description from above link.

2006-2010 Lexus IS250 IS350 Axle-Back Exhaust System Muffler

DESCRIPTION

High quality stainless steel Full Cat-Back Exhaust System made by T304 Stainless Steel, Mandrel Bent Tubing, CNC Machine Flanged, and CNC lasered to ensure no leaks.
These Stainless Steel Catback exhaust are made for:

2006-2010 Lexus IS250 / IS350

Engine type: 4GRFSE / 2GRFSE V6

Each set is tested and dynoed to make sure that the fitment and performance meets our goals.

Details:

(2 Piece Set)

Direct Bolt On (Professional Installation Recommended)

15-30 hp gain by increasing overall exhaust air flow

3 Stage Polish Finish to give an absolute perfect shine!

2.5" Piping / 4.0" Exhaust Tip

Quick Reply: M2 Axle-back