Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Smoke coming out of exhaust? (long)

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-11, 04:47 PM
Hypebeast
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Smoke coming out of exhaust? *Update* Headgaskets starting to go

Feb 19th (shortly after I purchased the gs400) I had a local shop change my oil.

That night, after start up, I had a bunch of smoke come out of the exhaust very briefly.

2 weeks later I had the transmission fluid flushed/changed as well as the coolant flushed.

Fast forward to yesterday (4/2), I started it up and out of nowhere it starts to just dump white smoke out of the exhaust, like a lot of smoke. I ran it pretty hard the night before (floored it once from about 15 up to 90). I take it for a spin around the block and more and more smoke comes out every time I hit the pedal. To be honest, not sure if the smoke is white or white with a blue tint.

Took it to a shop yesterday and they blamed the smoke on my oil being overfilled. So I had the oil changed.

It's still smoking a small bit out of the exhaust after I run it hard/rev the engine in my garage.

Could it be the head-gasket or the seals? - car has only 66k miles on it.

It has never overheated and doesn't go above the mid way mark on the temp gauge, which makes me think it's not the head gasket.

On the other hand, the smoke did seem white though....and sometimes I can hear a "gurgling" sound when I accelerate from stop (air in the coolant lines maybe?) ....although the smoke does smell like burnt oil.

If it really was due to overfill, why is this happening almost 2 months later?

Last edited by Hypebeast; 04-05-11 at 02:24 PM.
Old 04-03-11, 06:32 PM
DeanGS
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hypebeast
Feb 19th (shortly after I purchased the gs400) I had a local shop change my oil.

That night, after start up, I had a bunch of smoke come out of the exhaust very briefly.

2 weeks later I had the transmission fluid flushed/changed as well as the coolant flushed.

Fast forward to yesterday (4/2), I started it up and out of nowhere it starts to just dump white smoke out of the exhaust, like a lot of smoke. I ran it pretty hard the night before (floored it once from about 15 up to 90). I take it for a spin around the block and more and more smoke comes out every time I hit the pedal. To be honest, not sure if the smoke is white or white with a blue tint.

Took it to a shop yesterday and they blamed the smoke on my oil being overfilled. So I had the oil changed.

It's still smoking a small bit out of the exhaust after I run it hard/rev the engine in my garage.

Could it be the head-gasket or the seals? - car has only 66k miles on it.

It has never overheated and doesn't go above the mid way mark on the temp gauge, which makes me think it's not the head gasket.

On the other hand, the smoke did seem white though....and sometimes I can hear a "gurgling" sound when I accelerate from stop (air in the coolant lines maybe?) ....although the smoke does smell like burnt oil.

If it really was due to overfill, why is this happening almost 2 months later?
Check your intake pipe (in front of the throttle body) for oil. When the oil is overfilled the PCV system will pull a LOT of oil mist into the intake (after the throttle body) and at WOT oil will get pushed into the intake pipe (before the throttle body). If it was a hard failure (seals) it would smoke the same and get worse over time (seals don't "repair" themselves. If it is the headgasket (doubtful) pull the radiator cap off (with the engine cold) and start the motor up. If you see bubbles in the coolant (at the radiator neck) you either have a leak in a coolant hose or a leaking head gasket.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-05-11, 02:25 PM
Hypebeast
Pole Position

My mechanic called today, looks like it's the headgasket is starting to go. How much is this going to run me to fix. Over or under $1k?

yikes!!!
Old 04-05-11, 02:47 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Hypebeast
My mechanic called today, looks like it's the headgasket is starting to go. How much is this going to run me to fix. Over or under $1k?

yikes!!!
how much is the hourly rate for labor in your area?
anyway it's going to be expensive.

repairpal.com to get a rough idea
Old 04-05-11, 02:51 PM
Killer_IS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn that sucks man.. considering you just brought it. HG jobs are usually 1k. You have to pull the engine apart, while hes at it. have him do your timing belt and water pump, if you havnt done it.
Old 04-05-11, 04:13 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

gs400 at least a grand..but why would the headgasket just let go like that, i have 200k on mine and it runs extremely strong
Old 04-06-11, 08:33 AM
Hypebeast
Pole Position

My mechanic quoted me $2k in labor, said it would be a 19 hour job. Ouch. He also said it would be cheaper to just install a new engine at this point. Granted i'd have to purchase a new engine also.

Looks like I bought a lemon. Not sure what my next steps are going to be, I have some decisions to make.
Old 04-06-11, 11:59 AM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

used engine you mean
Old 04-06-11, 12:09 PM
Hypebeast
Pole Position

haha yes used engine
Old 04-06-11, 05:05 PM
LexiBlue
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just put a 2jzgte in it and call it a day gotta luv that motor booooost
Old 04-06-11, 05:20 PM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

damn man, even if you got a different engine, what are the odds that its going to have the same or less mileage?

get a second opinion at least on the price. and plus with a different engine, you don't know what you would be getting your self into.

Im sorry to hear that though.
Old 04-06-11, 10:11 PM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

19 hours sounds like book time.
Find a mechanic that has done the repair before, you should be paying closer to 10 hours plus whatever the machine shop charges.
Old 04-06-11, 11:51 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

If it's a blown HG, i'm pretty sure you would know + you will lose coolant everyweek. If your car is burning oil and is emitting blue smoke from the tailpipe then you got some woren out rings and such. Do a compression test and see what the readings are to confirm. Or maybe there's oil in your spark plugs? Can't tell on the forum.