Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Exhuast? Which one to get?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-02, 01:13 PM
ToNee
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Exhuast? Which one to get?

I was thinking about great a greddy. Anyone here has it on their car? How does it sound? Or which exhuast should i get? One more thing has anyone got the S-AFC for their gs400?
Old 08-29-02, 01:25 PM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have heard Greddy is awfully loud. Borla seems to be the quietest, followed by RMM, HKS, Ltuned and Apexi.
Old 08-29-02, 01:30 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by futuregs
I have heard Greddy is awfully loud. Borla seems to be the quietest, followed by RMM, HKS, Ltuned and Apexi.
woooo

slow down dude.

in order of quietest to loudest (some speculation possibly)

Ltune, Apex, Borla, RMM, Tom's, L-Sportline, HKS, Greddy

other manufactories like JIC and fujibitsu, WIN.Racing, Blitz Nur-Spec there is not enough info on to make a decision but im pretty sure out of thoes (the more popular) exhaust, that is the order.
Old 08-29-02, 02:05 PM
RacingAristo

Come on. GReddy ain't that loud. So all your neightbors get waked up when you come home at 2 in the morning. So what?
Old 08-29-02, 02:17 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

hehehe... trust me.. its loud

but ractive is the loudest for sure, its like running no muffler at all
Old 08-29-02, 02:36 PM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

ractive....lol lets talk about MODEL specific exhausts, and there isno way Ltuned is quieter than Borla, I've heard both. Greddy is loud, i've heard that too, but not on the GS. So maybe thats wy I'm makin that assumption. =]
And Sasha I saw your video of you autocrossing, your exhaust was drowning out everything.
Old 08-29-02, 03:02 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by futuregs
ractive....lol lets talk about MODEL specific exhausts, and there isno way Ltuned is quieter than Borla, I've heard both. Greddy is loud, i've heard that too, but not on the GS. So maybe thats wy I'm makin that assumption. =]
And Sasha I saw your video of you autocrossing, your exhaust was drowning out everything.
heh.. well smoe of the parts it isn't my exhaust and its another car that is closer b ut out of camra view.. my exhaust was prob one of the quietest at the auto-x event
Old 08-29-02, 03:44 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FYI, the exact same exhaust on the GS300 and the GS430/400 will NOT sound the same. The GS300 tends to be LOUDER and the GS430/400 tends to be DEEPER.

The Ltuned on the GS430/400 is VERY quiet...
Old 08-29-02, 05:22 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default Borla clarification

Let's not forget boys (and girls) that there are 2 versions of the Borla and the Carbon Fiber is significantly louder than the Stainless Steel.
Old 08-29-02, 06:10 PM
mdw131
Lead Lap

Which one exhaust best fills these characteristics?
Fills the gap on the rear bumper well, doesnt drone, fits on the stock hangers, and isnt too loud on normal driving or too pricey(over $600)?
Old 08-29-02, 06:25 PM
GS430 GUY
Lexus Test Driver

Get the Borla Stainless Steel mufflers. Direct bolt-on replacement for the stocks and it only costs $410 or so from Summitracing.com, part # BOR-11733. Only downside may be the resonance at 2K-3K RPM. Other option would be the L-Tuned exhaust but the price is higher at $609 from Steve Ganz. I love my Borla exhaust though, although sometimes it can be a bit loud with company in the car.
Old 08-29-02, 10:18 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,252 Likes on 1,366 Posts
Default Borla vs L-tuned

L-tuned exhaust is slightly louder than Borla Stainless Steel (group has compared Bitkahuna's LT to mine/Dex's Borla).

IMO between the two I prefer Borla's - they don't drone at 2K RPM as many of the L-tuned do, and the Borla's have a better warranty (million mile). Borla's are less expensive.

One plus for the L-tuned is the hangers that come with the Borlas-don't use factory hangers (and theirs are cheaper/don't fit as well). Second plus is Lexus dealer install & support.

I prefer the oval tip fittment in the factory valence (see pic below, left is Borla, right is l-tuned). I haven't seen/ heard others in person to compare these to... Try to go to a meet to listen/see as many as you can. If you're considering the Greddy's (and have heard/seen those and actually like them), you probably don't want either of these exhausts.
Attached Thumbnails Exhuast? Which one to get?-exhaust-compare.jpg  

Last edited by DaveGS4; 08-29-02 at 10:34 PM.
Old 08-29-02, 11:11 PM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Default Listen!

Agree with Dave except on one point. I’ve been told by 3 Borla owners that theirs also “drone” at 2-3K - as late as our most recent Ft. Worth meet. I was about ready to lose my L-Tuned and switch to Borla to get away from the drone, but if switching is not gonna eliminate it, what’s the point. That would seen to indicate that something else is at fault and not the mufflers themselves. Jury is still out on a fix for this – might be hanger-related.

At a meet in Dallas, we did a sound test among Borla mufflers, Borla CF tips, L-Tuned and Greddy. The consensus was Borla mufflers were quietest, L-Tuned nexr, Borla CF next and Greddy loudest – but none were objectionably loud.

Also agree that the Borla oval tips do fit the cutout better than the round LT. Price considered, I think I’d suggest the Borla. As Dave said, the ideal way to select your exhaust is to actually hear/see them in person.
Old 08-30-02, 07:38 PM
cong28
Lead Lap

I'm selling by Borla SS. Check the classifieds.
Old 08-30-02, 10:08 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,411 Likes on 1,581 Posts

Borla definitely quieter than L-Tuned. I've heard Dex's, 1Sick's, DaveGS4's and others' Borlas. My L-Tuned is louder. The Borla is a very nice exhaust except for the somewhat kludgy hanger system.

Quick Reply: Exhuast? Which one to get?