Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

TMs Installed - Punchy, But Still Low Idle

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-02, 05:23 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up TMs Installed - Punchy, But Still Low Idle

The title says it all. Got my TorqueMasters installed and the car appears to be more punchy, and even into midrange RPMs. After getting home, I reset the ECU, but after a day and a half or so the low idle symptom returned.

Low, but not rough, where as I did have some roughness before.

Did the TMs fix the roughness? I can't draw that conclusion just yet, but it (the roughness) is gone for now.

I will try cleaning my throttle body this weekend, but I am beginning to lean back towards the theory, most recently re-proposed by Banannags, that the intake is flowing too much air, which is causing the low idle.

Did everyone else see how frickin clean his TB was?!

I can live with low.
Old 08-31-02, 02:19 AM
Synergy
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also installed my TM's today and notice a similar effect. My idle is very low, however not as rough. Something is not right tho...the idle just seems way to low. I will be curious to see if your throttle body cleaning resolves the issue.
Old 08-31-02, 09:31 AM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: TMs Installed - Punchy, But Still Low Idle

Originally posted by Dex
The title says it all. Got my TorqueMasters installed and the car appears to be more punchy, and even into midrange RPMs. After getting home, I reset the ECU, but after a day and a half or so the low idle symptom returned.

Low, but not rough, where as I did have some roughness before.

Did the TMs fix the roughness? I can't draw that conclusion just yet, but it (the roughness) is gone for now.

I will try cleaning my throttle body this weekend, but I am beginning to lean back towards the theory, most recently re-proposed by Banannags, that the intake is flowing too much air, which is causing the low idle.

Did everyone else see how frickin clean his TB was?!

I can live with low.

Whats up Dex???
I installed my TM's on Fri. 8-16...... At the same time, I also installed the upgraded SRT "race ucu"(core exchange for the previous LII "piggy back ecu), all red SRT connecting hoses/connectors for my intake, and an Optima "red top".... While doing the hoses, I THUROUGHLY cleaned as far inside the TB as I could reach using a cloth and WD40.....There wasnt too much dirt, but now its as clean as a whistle... Before, my car would idle low from time to time(between 500-650rpm every week or so) and it was a little rougher than when the car was at "normal" idle.(around 750rpm)

-Results: Car didnt idle low at all for a couple of days and was running like SILK! After a few days of use, I had my first experience with low idle since the TM install.... The car sat at about 550rpm's but remained SMOOTH AS SILK while idling......definite improvement!

-Performance: I only have the "seat o' my pants" to judge, and my butt tells me "race ecu" and TM's are a big improvement over LII ecu and standard Iridiums....
At the Ft.Worth PHR meet, Garnet had the EXACT same set-up as me,(Except I have a SupraTT 3.76 LSD w/Greddy exhaust and he had stock rear end and Borlas) and Dyno'd 265hp/267tq to the tires.... The average all day long was in the LOW/MID 230's for GS4's.....

SRT Intake/"race ecu"($550)+TM plugs($100)=$650 for 30RWHP........
Id spend that $$$ for that result ANY time.....

Last edited by tinygs; 08-31-02 at 09:47 AM.
Old 09-03-02, 10:52 AM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Hey Dex,
Before I installed my TQ Master plugs, my car idled perfectly. After installing them and firing up the car, it idled roughly for about 15 seconds, and then mellowed out to where it was previously. I haven't installed my SRT intake yet, but it will be interesting to see if I get the rough idle after doing so.
Old 09-03-02, 11:08 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by mumbles
Hey Dex,
Before I installed my TQ Master plugs, my car idled perfectly. After installing them and firing up the car, it idled roughly for about 15 seconds, and then mellowed out to where it was previously. I haven't installed my SRT intake yet, but it will be interesting to see if I get the rough idle after doing so.
Will you be installing the intake before the trip?

And to clarify, mine is low, but not rough.
Old 09-03-02, 09:01 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What's considered "low idle" to you guys? Mine is at 375rpm according to the guage. That's in drive at full stop, no ac. Even does it with AC on at times, but I'm not complaining.

Percy
Old 09-03-02, 09:37 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Percy
Mine is at 375rpm according to the guage.
Percy
'That' probably. The second bar I believe on the tach.
Old 09-04-02, 12:30 AM
Synergy

Yep - I second that. The second bar is low idle, sometimes I can feel the car tremor as if it is going to stall. It feels "rough".
Old 09-05-02, 05:10 AM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Percy
What's considered "low idle" to you guys? Mine is at 375rpm according to the guage. That's in drive at full stop, no ac. Even does it with AC on at times, but I'm not complaining.

Percy
[/QUOT

I havent seen mine idle below 500, but even the FEW times its done that in the two years Ive owned it, it has still been SMOOTH!!!
Old 09-06-02, 02:54 AM
Synergy

Consider yourself LUCKY, Tiny. It seems that a bunch of us here on CL have some issues with rough idle. I am going to let the dealer fix a few of my rattle TSB's before I go back for my lovely idle issue....

thx,
- C
Old 09-06-02, 03:13 AM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally turned off the AC. Yup, idle is a bit rough but never close to stalling. Figure all I need is a loud, deep exhaust so I can enjoy that wonderful blub, blub, blub [my sound for a high performance engine with an agressive cam]. Hey, some people pay big bucks for that sound...
Old 09-06-02, 04:47 PM
Lvangundy

My 90 LS has done that a couple of times (with new plgus and with old) but only after I stopped harshly. Enough to make the front end dip quite a bit. Its like the RPMs drop below the line they are always at. 600? I think or maybe 300 forgot..
Old 09-11-02, 12:59 PM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

Default Just yesterday

Just had my TM's installed and my 45K service at the same time yesterday, which includes Fuel injector/intake/TB cleaning. Pulled my EFI fuse for a minute or so to reset the ECU.........and yes, it does appear to idle 200 rpm or so lower than normal. No roughness, though. The tech was like "whoa, never seen a plug like these before".

End result: def more of a "punch" by seat-of-the-pants feel from mid to high RPMs, but it also seems to rev higher (approach redline more closely than before). This is even without ECT set on PWR mode. Anyone seeing this as well??

I'm pleased overall with the slight increase in performance, no complaints here!!!

Eric