Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

new turbo kit ?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-11, 09:55 PM
lazerous
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in the works bud
Old 04-18-11, 02:16 AM
TrueStreet
Driver

can't wait to see your results on the stroked engine. Always wonder how a 2GR would run with the displacement of a 1GR.
Old 04-18-11, 06:29 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I estimate a 4.0 liter would put down about 35-40 more whp than we have now. Which would make it about 315-320whp (370ish crank) with common intake/exhaust mods.
Old 04-25-11, 02:18 AM
TrueStreet
Driver

that would be sweet.
Old 04-25-11, 10:00 PM
four o two
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kurtz
which would be surprising given almost 20 years later nobody has managed to do that for the Supra- a platform there's a lot more mod enthusiasts for.

Here's a post mentioning some of the challenge with it BTW-
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6185068-post9.html
Because of MAP ECU, AEM, and later ProEFI. The tunability of those platforms simply offers what's required when you get into the big HP cars that Supras are known to be.

Tuning for the MKIV platform really has been an interesting evolution.
Old 04-26-11, 01:18 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,971 Likes on 2,403 Posts

Originally Posted by four o two
Because of MAP ECU, AEM, and later ProEFI. The tunability of those platforms simply offers what's required when you get into the big HP cars that Supras are known to be.

Tuning for the MKIV platform really has been an interesting evolution.
No, I would say just the opposite. Those alternate platforms were viable solutions because it was impossible to retain the OEM platform's code base. I was there at the beginning, and I recall Chris Bergemann wearing out the crank thrust washers on his Supra just to get the engine to start with the AEM which caused the whole craze over bypassing the clutch start interlock switch.

Not one of these platforms is even close to the same ball park as the OEM ECM for reliability or operability over a wide range of atmospheric conditions. Which of these platforms has a separate barometric sensor in them? Not one. The OEM piece does...

So saying the flexibility of these platforms is what made this possible is IMHO, horribly inaccurate. It was the INflexibility of the OEM ECM which made it possible for these other systems to have market share. If it were possible to change the ignition and fuel maps in the OEM ECM, none of these other platforms would be considered for anything other than full-on racing applications where driveability is essentially unimportant.
Old 04-26-11, 01:43 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

u cant argue with the cars Guru kurt and lobuxracer lolz.... they know their shiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeetttttttttttttttt
Old 05-02-11, 11:08 PM
TrueStreet
Driver

how well can the OEM ECU adapt to a stroked 2GR?
Old 05-02-11, 11:58 PM
pepos
Driver

Here is a drawing that i have from MAPECU guys that works only on open loop.
If you want to to adjust signals on closed loop also you have to buy their AFR Calibrator to do it.
The drawing is for the MAPECU2 box.
You can adjust timing and AFR but you can't drive the injectors cause they are direct.
The box works in MAF intercept mode and that means that you transform your MAF to MAP.
I also have the table that i have programmed the MAPECU2 in my ride but it won't do you any good because of the atmospheric variations between Greece and the US Continent.
Bottom line is that basic adjustment is doable and works fine for a supercharger system that only needs adjusting from 3600 rpm and above when the stock ECU works on open loop.
The only limitation is how much more fuel the injectors can handle as stock.
From my expirience they can inject 35% more fuel in order to reach 90% capacity which is fine for a supercharger.
I won't tell you about the gains in BHP from MAPECU2 only after i installed it cause numbers are not the point.
The point is that if you seek you find what you are looking for.
My ride now produces over 300 BHP almost 100 BHP more from stock with the following mods
LMS S/C kit.
JUNTW Full Exhaust System.
AEM Water/Meth injection.
MAPECU2 piggy.
Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel.
Spec clutch.
Denso IKH22 Plugs.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE.pdf (97.1 KB, 300 views)

Last edited by pepos; 05-03-11 at 12:18 AM.
Old 05-03-11, 12:10 AM
pepos
Driver

Originally Posted by lazerous
yup. 1gr crank and rods. i will have lower comp pistons and forged rods soon as well

i have a piggyback that will work, but wont add timing just take it away, all of it if i wanted to.
and only change the maf signal, so fuel will only work to a certain point, then you get a cel and limp mode.
From your writing i beleive that you are reffering to the AEM FIC which i tried it before the MAPECU2 (if you don't pay you won't learn).
The MAPECU2 works a lot better than AEM's piggy and it's more reliable.
Old 05-03-11, 03:38 AM
lazerous
Driver School Candidate

its an aem fic that's internally modded. but yes i understand the fueling issues. im working on that now. prob gonna go with piggyback injectors
Old 05-03-11, 02:50 PM
pepos
Driver

Originally Posted by lazerous
its an aem fic that's internally modded. but yes i understand the fueling issues. im working on that now. prob gonna go with piggyback injectors
Mine was also an internally moded AEM FIC 8.
Got it from Elite Autosport but never got the drawings as promissed.
So i had to figure it out myself which was a big pain in the *** and finally after a lot of testing realized that it's not suitable for the 4GR-FSE.
I could only pull timing by a certain degree and had problems with the MAF operation.
The guys from MAPECU sent me the drawings before i even buy the box and they were very helpfull in every question that i had.
Just personal expirience.
As for injectors in my opinion the stock 4GR fuelling system is more than capable to handle up to 300 BHP.
I beleive that Lexus has installed port injectors in 2GR because they don't want for the injectors to work more than 55-60% so they could last longer. I beleive that in my ride they work 80-90% capacity so probabbly i'll change them sooner (small drawback).
The easiest and cheapest way to add fuel if you want to go more than 300 BHP and 7 psi in my opinion is to add extra injectors with it's own ECU and don't mess with the stock igniters cause they are very complicated.
It's what ARMA did and it works fine.

Last edited by pepos; 05-03-11 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-04-11, 06:27 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Lexus put the secondary injectors in the 2GR to enhance mid-range performance, not to enhance the service life of the main injectors - injectors wear every time they open, and there are no conditions where the DI injectors don't operate. The port injectors are also not used at WOT. A clever person would figure out how to run the secondary injectors with a dry shot of nitrous for a very stealthy and powerful modification.

Toyota typically allows for 25-30% more fuel than is really necessary to run the engine - if the engine needs a 440cc injector under worst case conditions, they'll put a 550cc in the final design just to be sure it will never, ever run lean. They're ultra conservative with their fuel systems.
Old 05-05-11, 08:00 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

is 2gr and 4gr the same ecu pinout? I've been dying for a way to squeeze out some additional ponies in my NA setup. The mapecu3 looks like the ticket.
Old 05-05-11, 07:57 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by 06isDriver
is 2gr and 4gr the same ecu pinout? I've been dying for a way to squeeze out some additional ponies in my NA setup. The mapecu3 looks like the ticket.
Not even close. 4GR has 6 injectors, the 2GR has 12, and that's just the beginning.

Quick Reply: new turbo kit ?!