Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

new turbo kit ?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-11, 11:28 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well it may have the ability to handle 12 injectors still. I'm in discussions with them now to determine.
Old 05-12-11, 12:07 PM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone else find it funny that alwaysdtf stopped posting his bs after lobux stepped up?
Old 05-12-11, 01:06 PM
XhyDra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just wanted to add, if I'm not mistaken both of the current working superchargers for the IS250 (ARMA/RGM) use additional external injectors. Seeing as the 4GR only has 6, the additional ones help with managing the amount of fuel needed when in boost. Judging from the 100+ horsepower gain on a 12.1CR engine, wouldn't the same concept work for the 2GR?
Old 05-12-11, 06:08 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

3 injectors per cylinder? thats crazy man!

anyway, from MAPECU:

Can the MapECU handle the 12 injectors? I see that it is capable of
tuning a V10 but I am thinking you guys assume 1 injector per cylinder?

"The MAPECU3 controls fueling with the MAF sensor signal, it does not control the injectors directly. That is why it works with direct injection vehicles like yours. "
Old 05-13-11, 05:13 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 06isDriver
3 injectors per cylinder? thats crazy man!

anyway, from MAPECU:

Can the MapECU handle the 12 injectors? I see that it is capable of
tuning a V10 but I am thinking you guys assume 1 injector per cylinder?

"The MAPECU3 controls fueling with the MAF sensor signal, it does not control the injectors directly. That is why it works with direct injection vehicles like yours. "
That wouldn't be much help in firing the port injectors when they normally wouldn't fire then... all it's doing is basically lying to the ECU about the air coming in to make it add more fuel via the same injectors it'd normally use... so once you're past the safe duty cycle on those you're still out of fuel.
Old 05-13-11, 05:27 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

true, but it would probably work very well to tune a NA engine. I'm questing to break 300whp all motor, and they claim it even works in closed loop so that the ecu wont tune it out over time.

We'll have to see what kind of bonus I have coming up before I go crazy on chasing after that magic number.
Old 05-13-11, 10:44 PM
pepos
Driver

true, but it would probably work very well to tune a NA engine. I'm questing to break 300whp all motor, and they claim it even works in closed loop so that the ecu wont tune it out over time.

We'll have to see what kind of bonus I have coming up before I go crazy on chasing after that magic number.
Yea it works on closed loop along with their AFR calibrator.
The have also installed it in ISF with very good results as they say.
Here is what they replied when i first contacted them.

"I am sure we can as the Toyota engine management is quite straight forward and we have done the 1GR-FE and IS-F V8. We have to find a OEM ECU wiring diagram for the 2GR and 4GR to confirm the wiring so if you can help it would be appreciated. You would run the MAP-ECU2 in MAF Intercept mode and if you want to alter the AFR's in closed loop, add the AFR Calibrator."

So if you send them the 2GR ECU wiring as i did for the 4GR they will be able to make a wiring diagram.
In open loop the stock ECU has a big tollerance in fuel quantity in 4GR engine at least.
Everybody was telling me that the ECU will go to limp mode and won't be able to inject the ammount needed.
For some 20000 miles now it works fine in conjuction with the MAPECU2.

Last edited by pepos; 05-14-11 at 06:57 AM.
Old 05-14-11, 08:44 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

where did you find the pinout diagram or did they find it themselves? They said they could write me up something just like yours if I can find the diagram.
Old 05-14-11, 09:14 AM
pepos
Driver

where did you find the pinout diagram or did they find it themselves? They said they could write me up something just like yours if I can find the diagram.
I provided it to them.
They will also need the ECU layout.
I found the layout in the service manual which i bought it 10 bucks in CDROM form from eBay.
You can download the pinout and ECU diagram from Lexus Techinfo site with a subscription.

https://techinfo.toyota.com

Carefull if you subscribe for three days only which is the ceapest to download everything you need.
I think that you can find anything you need on that site.

The MAPECU will adjust Fuel and Timing ignition but these were more than enough for my supercharger.
The engine now is breathing at high rpm and has a lot more torque in the midrange.
The thing is that it's only seven wires attached to the stock wiring and if you have a patch harness as i do you can go back to stock in no time.
Programming is very easy with very nice windows interface.
Please post some results if you go through.
I estimate 15-20 BHP at midrange and 10-15 at high rpm in a 2GR N/A engine.
The engine is vey restricted to achieve emmisions.
I got 28 at midrange

Last edited by pepos; 05-14-11 at 11:27 PM.
Old 05-15-11, 02:25 AM
mapecuman
Driver School Candidate

Hi Guy's,

Elias asked me to chime in and answer a few questions.

Anytime you add forced induction to an NA engine with an OEM ECU like the Lexus you have to be very careful. They will throw a CEL at the slightest sign that the AFR's are not right in closed loop. You need extra fuel for forced induction so you have two choices:
  1. Larger injectors replacing the OEM ones (increased fuel rail pressure can help the OEM injectors a little)
  2. Auxiliary injectors.

They both have their pros and cons. Changing the DI injectors is not really an option but changing the port injectors is possible. There will be more tuning required if you change the port injectors or even raise fuel rail pressure. URD USA, who add forced induction to late model Toyota trucks (not DI though), prefer auxiliary injectors as you can leave the closed loop tuning alone and just adjust fuelling when you need it under boost. Then you use our AFR Calibrator to fool the OEM ECU in the overlap zone where boost comes on stream but you are still in closed loop. No matter what, you need a good wideband and OBDII scanner.

Let me know if you have any questions and I can try and answer them.