Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

new turbo kit ?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-11, 10:55 PM
AlwaysDTF
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation new turbo kit ?!

sup guys. I'm just testing the water here and I need everyone's opinion on this and please feel free to express yourself whether it be good or bad.

would anyone be interested in a single turbo 60 trim kit ? I'm not selling one, I'm just seeing what everyone thinks about boosting their is's. I'm doing this completely for study. I understand the compression is around 12.1. but I have lower compression pistons covered, would anyone be interested in reliably boosting the 250?

thanks very much and please leave much feedback on this.

Last edited by AlwaysDTF; 04-08-11 at 12:03 AM.
Old 04-07-11, 11:02 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 123 Likes on 48 Posts

Someone blew there engine with a turbo IS. forgot who. it was running great at 7psi. but after that it went to poopy as i recall..not exactly sure
Old 04-07-11, 11:06 PM
AlwaysDTF
Driver

12.1 compression so that's what I figured what would happen. boosting that much is kinda dumb so that's why I wanna figure out a solution for people. Ill offer lower compression pistons with the kit to make this possible. and eventually Ill offer cams and a stroker kit worked out for the na guys.

Last edited by AlwaysDTF; 04-08-11 at 12:11 AM.
Old 04-07-11, 11:19 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 123 Likes on 48 Posts

What type of engine management would you use? i presume it would be a piggy back? F-con, uni Q chip or something similiar?
Old 04-07-11, 11:26 PM
AlwaysDTF
Driver

Default well.

well I was thinking more of a standalone system like aem. if we went with aem, we can make it work even if it was a universal system. we can make it a plug and play for who ever would buy. That's not much of an issue. I'm just testing waters before i go ahead with the r&d on this project

Last edited by AlwaysDTF; 04-08-11 at 12:13 AM.
Old 04-08-11, 01:34 AM
DiDiMau
Driver

Interesting. the only thing we have close to getting a tune is from a Japanese HKS F-Con IS + OSC from a supercharger kit that HKS-POWER.co.jp offers. Even HKS350 had to modify it to make it work. The hardest part in my opinion is finding a piggy back that is compatible with our cars. HKS only offers that F-Con IS with the supercharger kit. They do not sell it by itself. I just noticed you said 250. I'm actually working on a little project myself and thinking about going with the AEM piggyback also. I have the wiring schematics, just need to order the AEM piece and give it a shot. I also noticed you live in Alabama. cool. who you working with to R&D the kit if you don't mind me asking?
Old 04-08-11, 01:50 AM
AlwaysDTF
Driver

were starting a company really strictly for the is. the overall toyota system is unbreakable. we can make aem work no matter what and it would be a full standalone. we got everything mostly on lock when it comes to it and have a few ideas of how were gonna do it all. we have the base map and fuel system taken care of.
Old 04-08-11, 02:19 AM
DiDiMau
Driver

Originally Posted by AlwaysDTF
were starting a company really strictly for the is. the overall toyota system is unbreakable. we can make aem work no matter what and it would be a full standalone. we got everything mostly on lock when it comes to it and have a few ideas of how were gonna do it all. we have the base map and fuel system taken care of.
As far as fuel system goes your talking about about bigger injectors, maybe a bigger fuel pump? Have y'all done one yet as far as piggy back and know it will work? If so I have a is350 and seeing your fb page, I've met you before. I drive the white is350. maybe I can be a guinea pig also.
Old 04-08-11, 06:00 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

sup guys. I'm just testing the water here and I need everyone's opinion on this and please feel free to express yourself whether it be good or bad.

would anyone be interested in a single turbo 60 trim kit ? I'm not selling one, I'm just seeing what everyone thinks about boosting their is's. I'm doing this completely for study. I understand the compression is around 12.1. but I have lower compression pistons covered, would anyone be interested in reliably boosting the 250?

thanks very much and please leave much feedback on this.
Your main problem is a complete turbo kit with a full standalone AND lower compression internals is going to cost at least 3 times what simply buying an IS350 instead of a 250 would cost...and still make less power. (well, maybe if you drop the CR enough and increase fueling enough you can get as much or more, but again you'll be paying WAY more to do it).

Making the entire project fairly goofy.

Likewise doing the same for the 350 is gonna cost more than simply having gotten an IS-F, with more power and a better transmission, would have.

To put it another way, the bolt-on 6 psi kits that gave 40-50 hp for $6000 didn't sell.

So a kit that costs 2-3 times that because it includes a full AEM standalone, forged low-compression hard internals, fuel upgrades, and more, isn't real likely to sell either.

If you were going to find a way to make a full standalone work (and nobody has done so while getting ALL the factory features to work FYI) you'd probably do better selling a drop-in 2JZ swap. It'd make a ton more power and not really be any harder to do. (easier for the power level honestly). Plus it'd let you offer a non-crap manual to interested buyers.

You could even offer both V161 and R154 kits to fit two budget levels.

I suspect THAT, if you could make it work, would sell a lot better than a 5-figure turbo kit.
Old 04-08-11, 07:37 AM
AlwaysDTF
Driver

your right about the standalone. i was going to offer the simple kit at around 5k and a kit with meth for 6k. then go from there. i wanted to get this motor out of the way before the stroker and 2jz swap. but they are on the way i promise. i was thinking 60 trim single at 8 psi on meth should make decent power. but the stock block will hold around 14psi and 9:1 compression should make around 375, 400. but for those who want a bigger motor ill offer a swap for a 4.0 im thinking about. which will make more power then the 350. ill offer high compression and low compression strokers with sc and turbo options at that point. then go to the 2jz that took lance 2 years to finish. let me know what you think.

as far as the jz swaps go i should be able to do a 1j with a r154 for around 14k with a 2 week turn around. but if the getrag/2jz is wanted it will be around 20k due to the cost of the bulletproof trans. no kits will be offered as theres alot involved with it.

Last edited by AlwaysDTF; 04-08-11 at 07:58 AM.
Old 04-08-11, 08:16 AM
viper522
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know it's not the same as a turdbo kit, but isn't N2O more power and less money? just seems to make sense.
Old 04-08-11, 08:42 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

your right about the standalone. i was going to offer the simple kit at around 5k and a kit with meth for 6k.
Well, the supercharger kit at 6k sold about 3... ever... so I dunno that dropping it to 5k would sell a lot more. (I'm assuming the "simple kit" will run the same 5-6 psi that folks are getting from the LMS kit and others- albeit with slightly better efficiency in exchange for more complexity by being a turbo rather than an SC)

Regardless, it's still more money that just buying a 350 that makes more power so it continues to make no sense to offer this for the 250 crowd IMHO.

You might sell a few to the couple of 350 folks who wanted LMS-type bang for the buck but couldn't find an available kit but not much more...

then go from there. i wanted to get this motor out of the way before the stroker and 2jz swap. but they are on the way i promise. i was thinking 60 trim single at 8 psi on meth should make decent power.

You might match the stock 350 output with 8 psi on a 250... but at 6k you're doing it for $1500 more than having just bought a 350 cost, and without the hassles of meth injection.

Again you might sell a few to 350 guys unwilling to trade up to an F... 8 psi for 6k is at least a better deal than the 5psi the LMS kit was offering for that price... plus I'm not sure if the stock ECU/fuel system is up to 8psi or not so that might bump cost a little (or a lot) if so.

but the stock block will hold around 14psi and 9:1 compression should make around 375, 400.
But that's with internal parts, swapping em, and the standalone I imagine... so you'll need to bring that in significantly cheaper than the cost of getting an F instead of a 350... since the F already comes with 414 hp and a MUCH better transmission (and a full warranty on both).... so again you're hitting up against a cost-for-gain issue regarding how many you're likely to sell.

but for those who want a bigger motor ill offer a swap for a 4.0 im thinking about. which will make more power then the 350. ill offer high compression and low compression strokers with sc and turbo options at that point. then go to the 2jz that took lance 2 years to finish. let me know what you think.
Most of the time/labor for the 2JZ swap as I understand it was the wiring work (though even then he didn't get a few things to work, but you're probably not gonna get stuff like VDIM to work like factory regardless)

Seems like once you had that figured out you could sell a swap kit with wiring harness and directions pretty affordibly and THAT would probably sell like hotcakes.

But 20k for a complete V161/2JZ swap into a 250 out the door isn't bad at all if EVERYTHING would work like factory... and at new-car pricing it's competitive with an IS-F... I just again don't think there'll be more than a handful of folks actually willing to pull the trigger on it.

I very much appreciate the enthusiasm, I just think you'll be disappointed by how few people are willing to spend more $ for less power than just buying a faster IS.... you'll also run into some skepticism given the previous folks who've made promises like these then failed to deliver anything. (Kennys turbo kit, Foxmarketings supercharger kit, etc...)

Originally Posted by viper522
i know it's not the same as a turdbo kit, but isn't N2O more power and less money? just seems to make sense.
N20 makes your car quite fast for maybe a dozen or two seconds at a shot, and that's it.

Nice for a drag race, but kinda crappy for daily use.

Plus it's illegal to have hooked up/running on the street most everywhere.

Though I do think anyone who make a VERY EASY bolt-on N2O kit specifically for the 2IS, one that could be put on/removed without leaving anything obvious behind, and had all the proper safety features a nitrous kit should have, would sell a decent number of units.

Last edited by Kurtz; 04-08-11 at 09:14 AM.
Old 04-08-11, 09:29 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ok ok ok....this sounds real good and all, but your username and ghetto leprechaun icon make me laugh too hard to take you seriously.
Old 04-08-11, 09:32 AM
japspec
Lexus Test Driver

HERE weeeeeeeee gooooooooo again. LOL
Old 04-08-11, 09:52 AM
Laid_Out
Driver

OP: your avatar is hilarious... made me think of the "eyewitness sketch" from that vid

Quick Reply: new turbo kit ?!