Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Intake box Mod Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-11, 07:10 AM
machefai
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake box Mod Advice

Was thinking of cutting my box like the f-sport, but perhaps 1/2 that size. However, I was concerned with a possible drop in low end torque and response. Been reading mixed reviews. Great for noise, but folks complain it's not as responsive.

My other thought was to add a simple vacuum type valve that would only expose the opening after it reaches a certain amount pressure inside the box. By vacuum valve, i really just mean a piece of plastic on a screw with a spring to open and close as more suction is presented. Was thinking this would allow for pressure to remain as intended until higher rpm's are reached, and the need for more air is required. On the outside of the box, at the opening, I was thinking of running a flex tube down to the lower grill scoop. The newer lower grills seem to have scoops on the sides which just lead to the lower engine(no where in particular) However, you can see them once you remove the intake box. Thought it couldn't hurt to try and get more cold air in!

Questions:
a) is there enough suction in the box to retract a light spring and open the valve?
b) would there be any downside to implementing something like this?
Old 04-09-11, 07:53 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

You're overthinking this.

I promise you if I had someone drive the same car back to back, but with earplugs in, and one run the car had the OEM box and one run the car had the F-sport box with full hole, they're be totally unable to judge which was which.

The stock intake provides more air than the engine is capable of using- all this "change in response" BS for mods made in front of the MAF are complete imagination.
Old 04-09-11, 08:29 AM
machefai
Driver

Originally Posted by Kurtz
You're overthinking this.

I promise you if I had someone drive the same car back to back, but with earplugs in, and one run the car had the OEM box and one run the car had the F-sport box with full hole, they're be totally unable to judge which was which.

The stock intake provides more air than the engine is capable of using- all this "change in response" BS for mods made in front of the MAF are complete imagination.
Thanks for your reply kurtz! sound is different though, right? so does the pressure within the box not matter then?
Old 04-09-11, 11:26 AM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

machefai....are you an old school DSMer??
Your mod reminds me of an old Al Blaha MAF from a 1G DSM.
Old 04-10-11, 01:07 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

those "scoops" are for cooling the brakes, i believe.

a hole opening in the intake box at higher RPMs is already implemented in the IS F. it's electronically controlled though.
Old 04-10-11, 08:38 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No idea about the pressure but the sound is different for sure with a full F sport size hole. Half the size hole like u want... maybe half the noise?
Old 04-12-11, 01:28 PM
machefai
Driver

Originally Posted by RCB
machefai....are you an old school DSMer??
Your mod reminds me of an old Al Blaha MAF from a 1G DSM.
Nah, but I admit I loved me an awd talon back in the day!

Originally Posted by Jetfire
those "scoops" are for cooling the brakes, i believe.

a hole opening in the intake box at higher RPMs is already implemented in the IS F. it's electronically controlled though.
Cooling the breaks? Did you read that somewhere? Seems odd since it just seems to dump the air aimlessly under the car. Not sure the breaks could benefit?

Interesting about the f-box, I forgot about that. Would love to see a pic of that!
Old 04-14-11, 09:06 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by machefai
Was thinking of cutting my box like the f-sport, but perhaps 1/2 that size. However, I was concerned with a possible drop in low end torque and response. Been reading mixed reviews. Great for noise, but folks complain it's not as responsive.

My other thought was to add a simple vacuum type valve that would only expose the opening after it reaches a certain amount pressure inside the box. By vacuum valve, i really just mean a piece of plastic on a screw with a spring to open and close as more suction is presented. Was thinking this would allow for pressure to remain as intended until higher rpm's are reached, and the need for more air is required. On the outside of the box, at the opening, I was thinking of running a flex tube down to the lower grill scoop. The newer lower grills seem to have scoops on the sides which just lead to the lower engine(no where in particular) However, you can see them once you remove the intake box. Thought it couldn't hurt to try and get more cold air in!

Questions:
a) is there enough suction in the box to retract a light spring and open the valve?
b) would there be any downside to implementing something like this?
This is exactly the solution that Mazda put it for their 2003+ Mazda6 V6 engines...see these picture to understand how they implemented the "flapper valve" based upon vacuum threshold that was achieved at 3000+ rpm. Till that time, they box would be quiet as a mouse. When it goes over 3000 rpm, the flapper opens up and it is "fun".
Attached Thumbnails Intake box Mod Advice-wioosl.jpg   Intake box Mod Advice-giklbl.jpg  
Old 04-14-11, 12:45 PM
machefai
Driver

Awesome, thanks for sharing chikoo! Where's the actual flapper that allows the sound to escape?
Old 04-14-11, 02:12 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Awesome, thanks for sharing chikoo! Where's the actual flapper that allows the sound to escape?
I have the box at home... Will post pictures in parts tonight....wait for it!
Old 04-14-11, 04:46 PM
machefai
Driver

right on, thanks man! Really interested to see how they did it! My valve is super basic though, screw + spring + valve cover
Old 04-14-11, 06:08 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

right on, thanks man! Really interested to see how they did it! My valve is super basic though, screw + spring + valve cover
here you go man...see how this works for you.
Attached Thumbnails Intake box Mod Advice-e9kmml.jpg   Intake box Mod Advice-0uod4l.jpg   Intake box Mod Advice-3nr5pl.jpg   Intake box Mod Advice-fxls8l.jpg  
Old 04-14-11, 07:02 PM
machefai
Driver

Chikoo, thanks for the pics! Not sure i can rig an electric valve, but you just gave me a great idea!