Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

bringing car in to 2nd dealership for low rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-02, 10:58 PM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default bringing car in to 2nd dealership for low rough idle

yup, i'm deciding to bring my car in to another lexus dealership to have them check out my low rough idle. i still cannot believe tustin lexus in them telling me that this is "normal" for a GS4. man, for a 50k+ car, i do not think it should idle like this. so this time, i hope it will be done correctly and under warranty.
Old 08-30-02, 01:00 AM
Synergy
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With all of the threads and posts regarding this (I too have the same freakin' problem), you would think Lexus would gave some sort of recall!!!!
Old 08-30-02, 07:47 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Synergy
With all of the threads and posts regarding this (I too have the same freakin' problem), you would think Lexus would gave some sort of recall!!!!
Realize that we here at CL represent a very small population of GS owners. But, yes, I agree that Lexus should take action since it is so "normal".

Nice sig BTW.
Old 08-30-02, 05:43 PM
jays400
Driver School Candidate

GSquicksilver- Let me know which dealership is willing to fix this problem. Lexus of Cerritos also says that it is "normal" as the car is adjusting it's a/f ratio. Ya right. I guess that I will try Longo next.
Old 08-31-02, 02:13 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Normal?

Local Lexus parts manager that is also my buddy says that they go through more TPS's and PSS's than anything else on the GS.

The TPS is well known to cause a rough idle on the GS.
Old 08-31-02, 02:18 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

long ago i had a test drive with Ted over at Longo and he was the one who actually told me my car was bit rough at idle...so he went ahead and took care the problemmm

just call Veronne and set an appt with him to have Ted look at your car..btw, tell Veronne/Ted Will send you there...
Old 09-01-02, 12:35 AM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

jays400

ah shiet, that's where i'm taking my car to, cerritos. ah man, now what? i think i'll just raise hell with them and tell them that they are full of shiet that dealers tell us that there are no problems with our cars when it's under warranty, but when the warranty expires, they say our cars are busted.
Old 09-01-02, 01:44 AM
jays400
Driver School Candidate

GSquicksilver
You can try Cerritos just make sure that you don't talk to Garrett who is one of their Service advisors/managers or whatever title they give them. He told me that ALL Lexus' idle rough and if there was a problem then there would be service bullentin. I asked him "So my $50K dollar Lexus is supposed to idle rougher than my 550 hp twin turbo Supra?". His response..."Yep... I drive 1200 hp drag racing cars that idle smoother than the Lexus". I am thinking to myself isn't he putting down Lexus? I mean shouldn't he boasting that they are the greatest Luxury car ever?
Old 09-01-02, 02:12 AM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

LMAO, i was originally scheduled to talk to garrett, but now i'm scheduled with steve because i changed a date. hmm, wonder what will happen now.

but dude, some guy in this forum also mentioned that the rough idle could be caused from the MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR, and he said that all we have to do is clean it every 30k miles and our cars would idle fine. now my question is, where is this sensor located, how does it look like, and how do you clean it?
Old 09-01-02, 03:10 PM
jays400
Driver School Candidate

GSquicksilver
Let me know what happens with Steve at Cerritos. Maybe you will have better luck than I did. The guy that posted on a different thread might be right, it might be the MAF sensor. It could also be the MAP sensor or the TPS or the throttle body. There are quite a few variables to this equation. If I remember correctly, you have already had your throttle body replaced and it fixed the problem for a little bit but now it is back. So now you have to attack the other possible areas. But I agree with you, why should you? Shouldn’t a qualified Lexus mechanic be able to say that a rough idle is caused by 5 or 6 different things. Then methodically go through the steps and fix the problem. Not tell the customer, "Oh that is normal". I think that we are all agreeing what could be causing the problem. What we don’t agree upon is when we the customer take our very expensive and top of the line cars to a dealership and get the run around. I was under the impression when I bought the car that Lexus being a luxury carmaker caters to the customer. That means making the customer happy by handling the customer’s problems. You are going to tell me that a controller of a company is going to be out in his garage taking apart his Mercedes or BMW to fix a problem because the dealership won’t? That is bad business.
Old 09-04-02, 06:30 PM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

yo jays400,

i took my car into cerritos lexus this morning and talked to the guy steve there. well, they called me back around noon today telling me that the reason for the low idle is because i need to clean my throttle body, plentum, and my injectors. they are charging me 295.00 for it. so i asked him, "so do you guarantee that this will fix my problem?" and he jumped at me and said, "what is this? how come you're asking me this? did you do something to your car that i should know about? i don't want to be responsible for some crap that you did." so i was pissed and was like, WTF. so i said, "dude, there is a problem with my car. i would not take it to you guys if i knew what was wrong with my car. i wanted you guys to figure it out and fix my problem. why else would i have brought my car in to you guys? i have taken my car to a tustin lexus a few weeks ago and they told me that there was NOTHING wrong with my car, but i wanted a second opinion, so i brought it to you guys. why else would i want to bring my car in if there was no problem? and now you tell me that i need to get my injectors and stuff cleaned, so i'm telling you to do it. i just want to know for sure that this will fix my rough idle cuz i don't want to pay for a service that won't fix anything!" man that guy was a jerk! but wouldn't you feel the same way if you brought your car in and the same the service guy gave you this *****? man, today when i pick up my car, if it still feels the same, i'm not paying them!
Old 09-05-02, 08:49 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow. 3 hundy for that? The average Joe can just about do that for far less (solvent, rag, screwdriver, injector clearner), and maybe under an hour (unless you have a STB to remove before the engine cover).

Keep us posted.
Old 09-06-02, 10:45 PM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Dex,

when i went to pick up my car, i found that the receipt had N/C on it. apparently they did not charge me a cent. and why you mite ask? CUZ THEY DIDN'T DO ANYTHING! it turned out that they reverted to the "the gs400 idles normal like this and this is a normal case. we compared your car to 2 other 98 models in service." apparently, i can now see that the people at cerritos lexus are incompetent and do not have confidence in their work and diagnostics. all i did was question the guy if he would guarantee if this would fix my rough idle. so i guess he was not 100% sure then so he didn't want to risk losing 300 bucks by cleaning my injectors and stuff just to see that it won't do anything to fix my rough idle. and about comparing my car to 2 other gs4's. WTF is that???? it is known that the gs4 idles rough already, so that means the other cars that he compared mine too probably had the same issues. instead, he should have compared my idle speed to a SPEC. i'm sure every dealer has a spec on what idle speed their cars should idle at. there goes to show that the dealers are pretty much dumbas$es. and for this, i'm going to write to LEXUS Corporate and tell them about my experience there as well as a previous dealer i went to who also told me that "it was normal." i'm going to get down to the bottom of this and make LEXUS fix this issue.