Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Transmission Cooler Threaded Fitting Sizes to use -AN Braided Lines

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-11, 08:53 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Transmission Cooler Threaded Fitting Sizes to use -AN Braided Lines

Sakataj asked me about the fitting sizes on the two transmissions I just gave away the other day. I thought I would just post the pics and info in the open forum so that it is documented here for future searches by other people looking to run braided -AN lines directly out of the transmission...

The hard lines are 10mm OD and have an Inverted Flare with captive fittings. Done just like typical brake lines but alot bigger.

The fittings on the lines are 16mm x 1.50 threads..

The following users liked this post:
LeonGs161 (02-15-21)
Old 05-15-11, 09:06 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

-6 lines would have the closest internal size to the hardlines on the car.

Keep in mind you must use an Inverted Flare fitting made to replace and seat like a hard pipe would. You can NOT just use a standard fitting with the correct threads.

summitracing.com has the right part made by allstar performance for $10.99 each. Get two of these and your in business..

-6 AN to 16mm x 1.5 fitting Inverted Flare

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AAF-ALL48210/

Last edited by 99 GS3; 05-15-11 at 09:27 PM.
Old 05-16-11, 08:33 AM
starfyrels
Account under Legal Action - Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

subscribed.

It would be nice to see someone set up their cooler, post pics, etc. I'll get to this if I still have my gs around.
Old 05-16-11, 01:01 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Are you sure on the size? Unless my transmission is different. The fitting I put into mine was a M14x1.5. I used a standard fitting without the inverted flare. I just put a o-ring between the fitting and transmission so it sealed, and I never had a leak before.
Old 05-17-11, 08:46 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by 99 GS3
-6 lines would have the closest internal size to the hardlines on the car.

Keep in mind you must use an Inverted Flare fitting made to replace and seat like a hard pipe would. You can NOT just use a standard fitting with the correct threads.

summitracing.com has the right part made by allstar performance for $10.99 each. Get two of these and your in business..

-6 AN to 16mm x 1.5 fitting Inverted Flare

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AAF-ALL48210/
i wonder if these would with the lines i already have? you still have the fittings? i took the ones on the OEM radiator (to the tranny cooler) to the place i got my other A.N. fittings from and they said they didnt have them, i wonder if i sent them to you (with their catalog) if i could get you to size them and let me know which ones from their catalog to get (i get a decent discount from them)

Originally Posted by starfyrels
subscribed.

It would be nice to see someone set up their cooler, post pics, etc. I'll get to this if I still have my gs around.
im setting up a cooler, a remote mount filter and looping back through the OEM cooler. BTW there are a few even a sticky in the performance section, just hadnt seen anyone set up a line all the way to the tranny and since he was getting rid of his tranny i figured i would ask for (or try to buy) the fittings

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Are you sure on the size? Unless my transmission is different. The fitting I put into mine was a M14x1.5. I used a standard fitting without the inverted flare. I just put a o-ring between the fitting and transmission so it sealed, and I never had a leak before.
got a picture of yours jeff? so did you just use a standard fitting,a o-ring, and a 90 degree?
Old 05-18-11, 07:24 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Sakataj, do you have a PDF of the catalog you can send? Or an online version?

Yeah, I kept the fittings. They are yours for free if you really need them. I'm not using my stock radiator I converted to an aluminum supra radiator/shroud combo already, I stuck it out in the lawn shed. I'll have to go out and look tomorrow at those fittings, I didn't really pay attention when I pulled it out, but I though the nipples were brazed onto it, not threaded?
Old 05-18-11, 07:29 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
100% sure on the size. The fitting I was showing was the captive one on the flared hard lines.

I do know exactly what your referring to though. You replaced the 45* and straight adapter fittings that the hard lines attach to. And as usual Jeff you are correct those two fittings are indeed M14x1.5..

Doesn't make much difference which fitting you replace, it will work fine either way. The intermediate fittings with the orings are just there to convert to a hard line connection.
LeonGs161 (02-15-21)
Old 05-18-11, 07:31 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

LeonGs161 (02-15-21)
Old 05-18-11, 07:35 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Here ya go, $4.99 each at jegs..

http://www.jegs.com/i/Russell/799/670520/10002/-1

Old 05-18-11, 09:03 PM
JDMJNKY
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good thread. Anyone planning to do an A-Z walk through?
Old 05-19-11, 07:24 AM
starfyrels
Account under Legal Action - Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd do it if someone could help me lol, like what to buy where to mount things, etc.
Old 05-20-11, 12:59 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Sakataj, do you have a PDF of the catalog you can send? Or an online version?
here is there website

http://www.godmanhiperformance.com/

Yeah, I kept the fittings. They are yours for free if you really need them. I'm not using my stock radiator I converted to an aluminum supra radiator/shroud combo already, I stuck it out in the lawn shed. I'll have to go out and look tomorrow at those fittings, I didn't really pay attention when I pulled it out, but I though the nipples were brazed onto it, not threaded?
nope i have those nipples.....they are indeed threaded but as i said the shop couldnt get them is what they claimed

The intermediate fittings with the orings are just there to convert to a hard line connection.
as im going braided lines from the tranny into the remote mount cooler into the aftermarket cooler,back into the OEM cooler, then back to the tranny... would i still need these O-ring designs?

Here ya go, $4.99 each at jegs..

http://www.jegs.com/i/Russell/799/670520/10002/-1

would these need a 45 or a 90 on them after that?

Originally Posted by JDMJNKY
Good thread. Anyone planning to do an A-Z walk through?
im fairly certain there is a complete a-z walk though but i will be doing one...most people wont come from the tranny they will tap into the lines up front.
Old 05-21-11, 08:25 AM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Ok, I quickly looked at the cooler line hookups on the radiator last night. They are threaded on, but there is a threaded male fitting that is integrated into the lower tank and is not removable.

Although it is a tapered seat fitting it is very short. When I get back home tonight I will take a closer look at it and get some pics to add. I have a bunch of -an fittings laying around so I can check to see if by chance one fits directly onto it.

My gut feeling it that this is not a typical -AN or JIC flare fitting as visually it didn't look quite right and the thread pitch was pretty tight. There is a good chance that it is metric and hose ends are not available in metric.

There may be a chance of using a tube nut on the nipple to convert to -an, but the tube is very likely to be metric diameter as well.. Depending on the size and how close it is to the closest sae size it may work. I converted the aristo power steering metric nipple to a -10an fitting using a sae tube nut and it worked out great.
Old 05-21-11, 08:51 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Ok, I quickly looked at the cooler line hookups on the radiator last night. They are threaded on, but there is a threaded male fitting that is integrated into the lower tank and is not removable
i dunno...i never got to see it without them, i bought the fittings from a CL member (the ones coming from the OEM cooler) but i never got to see the other side so im not sure...

sounds good man, if you come up with anything let me know
Old 05-21-11, 07:02 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Ok here is a couple pics of the radiator. You can see how short the flare nipple is, and that it is made onto the cooler located inside the plastic bottom tank.

The thread pitch is very tight and is metric, I tried a -6 hose end and it is not even close to working for 2 reasons. First because it not the correct thread, and second even if it was the fitting it to short for the hose end to seal the flares together.

If the threads were proper, then you might could make it work by cutting the like 1/2" off the threaded length of the hose end so it would mimic the shorty nut on the stock nipple.

Same as the other hardlines, the tube is 10mm OD.

Quick Reply: Transmission Cooler Threaded Fitting Sizes to use -AN Braided Lines