Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Aristo VVTI Maf same as USDM Supra Turbo maf?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-11, 09:54 AM
Htowncory
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Aristo VVTI Maf same as USDM Supra Turbo maf?

Does anyone know if the Supra Turbo USDM uses the same MAF? Buying a USDM Supra Turbo maf in the USA would be a whole lot easier than importing an Aristo maf from Japan/Australia.
Old 06-11-11, 06:39 AM
ROPADOPA
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can use your vvti na stock maf to get it running
Old 06-12-11, 07:30 AM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by ROPADOPA
you can use your vvti na stock maf to get it running
^^^ What he said..

The toyota and denso part numbers are different between the aristo and GS/IS maf's, but I've seen on my.is were a few guys have successfully used the IS maf when thier imported motor was missing the aristo maf. And it seemed to have worked ok.
Old 07-10-11, 04:11 PM
Htowncory
Rookie

Follow up.

The answer to my original question is NO.

The Aristo maf and NA GS300 maf are not the same.

Sure your aristo swap engine will run with the GS300 maf sensor, but its going to run very rich.

Also, you would not want to use the GS300 maf housing as its going to make your aristo engine swap car run terribly rich as well.

Morale of the story, if you want to use the factory twins you should use the Aristo airbox, and Aristo maf sensor.

For those of you who are using a big turbo and you need as much fuel as you can get, this probably doesnt matter.
Old 07-13-11, 08:36 AM
Wicked GS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Htowncory
Follow up.

The answer to my original question is NO.

The Aristo maf and NA GS300 maf are not the same.

Sure your aristo swap engine will run with the GS300 maf sensor, but its going to run very rich.

Also, you would not want to use the GS300 maf housing as its going to make your aristo engine swap car run terribly rich as well.

Morale of the story, if you want to use the factory twins you should use the Aristo airbox, and Aristo maf sensor.

For those of you who are using a big turbo and you need as much fuel as you can get, this probably doesnt matter.
I stumbled upon some reading, and this seems to be true from what I'm reading, in my case I'm using the Aristo MAF, with the stock air box set up, and I'm still running rich, I even swapped in the stock MAF and the car broke up badly, dumping fuel like crazy ... Now I need to know get myself the Aristo air box
Old 07-15-11, 02:15 PM
Choritsu-shi
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wicked GS
I stumbled upon some reading, and this seems to be true from what I'm reading, in my case I'm using the Aristo MAF, with the stock air box set up, and I'm still running rich, I even swapped in the stock MAF and the car broke up badly, dumping fuel like crazy ... Now I need to know get myself the Aristo air box
No, you don't need the Aristo Air Box...the box has no relevance in this case. Your problem is due to something else... like a bad sensor perhaps.

Choritsu-shi
Old 07-18-11, 12:33 PM
Htowncory
Rookie

The difference between gs300 maf housing and aristo maf housing is .50 inches!!

By using a aristo maf and a gs300 maf housing your fuel calculations will be off.

I've ordered a aristo airbox with the correct aristo maf housing built in. I'm going to install it once I get back from vacation in about a week.

I'm positive now that I have the aristo after and aristo airbox I'm positive my cars going to lean out more and run better.

Originally Posted by Choritsu-shi
No, you don't need the Aristo Air Box...the box has no relevance in this case. Your problem is due to something else... like a bad sensor perhaps.

Choritsu-shi
Old 07-18-11, 05:54 PM
Wicked GS
Lead Lap

By using a aristo maf and a gs300 maf housing your fuel calculations will be off.

I've ordered a aristo airbox with the correct aristo maf housing built in. I'm going to install it once I get back from vacation in about a week.

I'm positive now that I have the aristo after and aristo airbox I'm positive my cars going to lean out more and run better.
Keeps us posted, I would like to know the out come of this
Old 08-30-11, 09:37 PM
Htowncory
Rookie

Keeps us posted, I would like to know the out come of this
Wicked - cars running leaner now (still, very rich to my standards though) at about 12.5-13.5 on highway with light cruising. Its better than before with the USDM maf, but still too rich.

Ive put in a ARisto OEM airbox as well, and thats helped lean out the mixture because I think the difference in size of maf tube was throwing off the maf calculations.

Cars running great now. Ran a 13.5@104 at dragstrip the other night.

This is with: 4.2 final drive differential thats making the car shift too early and with open gearing!

Im trying to find a Aristo differential now to get better longer gearing and better traction out of the hole. Figure it might help me drop .2 seconds maybe more at the dragstrip.

Oh, and Im running fulltime twin turbo now as Ive disabled the sequential operation and upped the boost to about 15 psi (hits fuel cut at 16 psi!).

Other than that, cars running great and Im LOVING it!
Old 09-15-11, 03:12 PM
Wicked GS
Lead Lap

So today I put this to the test, and YES you ARE correct. I bought an Aristo airbox and not only did the numbers improve on the AF gauge, but the car feels a lot healthier in WOT. Crazy what .50 inches will do. Thanks for the help bro
Old 09-15-11, 11:27 PM
japspec
Lexus Test Driver

So today I put this to the test, and YES you ARE correct. I bought an Aristo airbox and not only did the numbers improve on the AF gauge, but the car feels a lot healthier in WOT. Crazy what .50 inches will do. Thanks for the help bro
Hold up lol i told you that from day one lol, just joking.
Old 09-16-11, 05:34 AM
Wicked GS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by japspec
Hold up lol i told you that from day one lol, just joking.
Lol yes Mark I will agree with you, you were the first one to tell me about this, months ago before I did the swap
Old 10-04-11, 09:37 PM
Htowncory
Rookie

Photos and update of the swap:

10-4-11

Car is running great, albeitly still very rich.

Bought a Supra Automatic LSD differential to lower the gear ratios and for better traction.

Sadly I can no longer drift around corners and burn out one tire as traction is far better now. I can solve this problem with more POWER though, hehe!

Bought a TTE replica lip and installed it unpainted. Also put on some 3mm spacers on the front and 5mm spacers on the rear.

Rear wheels BEFORE

Rear wheels after installing 5mm wheel spacers

Got tired of the traction lights being on due to the traction system not working with the ARisto swap so I removed the cluster and pulled out the bulbs for the traction lights. Presto, problem solved! Wahoo no more annoying lights being on all the time.

Next up- Im planning on swapping the JDM twins for the USDM Supra twin turbos to improve the power output. Ill more than likely have the turbos rebuilt just to make sure they are fresh, and Im considering putting in bigger intake side wheels for more air flow/power.