Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

TC: Sometimes causes Engine Check Light

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-02, 08:14 PM
RacingAristo

Default TC: Engine Check Light Update

I took my car in at Lexus of Cerritos for 30000 mile service today. As you may know, my GS430 has been having engine check light on for a long time but yet the car is perfectly fine. Couple weeks ago, Pearlpower helped me to retrieve the error code for the engine check light. The error is from shift solenoids and there are 6 of them in my GS if I'm not mistaken. The technician at Lexus of Cerritos replaced all solenoids, but the light still came up after flushing the ECU. The technician asked me if I know Rodmillen. I said "of course", they installed the torque converter for me at their facility. Then he suggested to do a valve body upgrade which may eliminate the engine check light problem. However, there are numbers of people who have aftermarket torque converter on their GS. None of them has done the valve body upgrade yet or I've not known yet.

This is just an update on the latest engine check light problem from the torque converter. It is rather rare but still happens on my car. I will contact Precision Industries who is the maker of my torque converter and see what they say. Perhaps an upgrade on valve body would help, who knows.
Old 09-11-02, 09:42 PM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

interesting...thanks
Old 09-12-02, 01:19 AM
GS430 GUY
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn Dennis, just have the Lexus tech take the check engine light out of the dash. This is one problem that won't go away no matter what I see. My car just passed the 10K mark and no light on my car to date. I wonder if there is a loose wire someplace on ya car that would cause the light to come on. Good luck getting the problem fixed, it sure is one of the tougher ones we have had appear on the board. Keep up the updates, but provide us with some good news next time, ok?
Old 12-03-02, 02:11 PM
GSman
Pole Position

RA,

Any updates on this topic? Still have the check engine light on? Any change to the error codes? Anyone else with a 2001 GS430 and TC experiencing this same issue? I'm still on the fence with the TC.

Thanks,
Old 12-03-02, 03:06 PM
Static911

Unfortunately, Racing Aristo is no longer with ClubLexus. Here is his PM to me before he left.

"Dear Ethan,

I haven't seen you on AIM for awhile. I hope everything is fine with you.

Could you remove "RacingAristo" from CL DB completely? I will not create another CL account in the near future. Need to take some time-out and concentrate. If I don't have an account, I couldn't post and it greatly reduces the temptation to check out the website while doing hw and projects."

Sincerely,

Ethan
Old 12-03-02, 05:29 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: TC: Engine Check Light Update

Originally posted by RacingAristo
The technician asked me if I know Rodmillen. I said "of course", they installed the torque converter for me at their facility. Then he suggested to do a valve body upgrade which may eliminate the engine check light problem. However, there are numbers of people who have aftermarket torque converter on their GS. None of them has done the valve body upgrade yet or I've not known yet.
I've got the RMM Valve Body Upgrade and TC. I didn't have a check engine light issue for the first 2 years I had the car. My light finally came on for the first time this past June.

All I can say is that the light came on when I ran real low on gas and while I was driving down a steep hill. From previous "check engine" threads, it appears to be a gas cap issue. I did eventually get my light to turn off after filling up and clicking the gas cap tight several turns, however it still comes on arbitrarily, almost once for every tank of gas.

One of these days I'll have to retrieve the error code. I'll have to confirm if it still comes in these past few months, since I put some electric tape over the dash light when I drove to the Carson Meet this past summer. Couldn't stand looking at it for 400 miles.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 12-03-02 at 05:30 PM.
Old 06-21-04, 07:18 PM
JimSter430
Driver School Candidate

Hey I was wondering if anyone with a GS430 ever fixed there problem with the check engine light going off because of an aftermarket TC ?
Old 06-21-04, 08:01 PM
omegagavin
Driver

I am curious as to whether any GS400s have had check engine lights as a result of TC install?
Old 06-21-04, 08:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,659 Posts

Originally posted by omegagavin
I am curious as to whether any GS400s have had check engine lights as a result of TC install?
I've not heard of one. I've never had it.
Old 06-21-04, 11:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by omegagavin
nop, i don't know of one gs400 with engine light coz' of the tc
Old 06-22-04, 12:04 PM
JacobT
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have CE light turned on 3 months after the TC installed on my '99 GS4. I had a long story about the TC installation. It's been discussed in detailed here about 4 years ago.
Old 06-22-04, 12:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by JacobT
I have CE light turned on 3 months after the TC installed on my '99 GS4. I had a long story about the TC installation. It's been discussed in detailed here about 4 years ago.
oops, that sux.... so in short, was it fixed? and is it coz' of the install or the tc?
Old 06-22-04, 01:54 PM
JacobT
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by rominl
oops, that sux.... so in short, was it fixed? and is it coz' of the install or the tc?
It's the TC unit. I swapped out with another TC that fixed the CE light problem. But it costed me 4X installation charges and a new TC to fix it
Old 06-22-04, 02:22 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Who make the TC? Precision Intrustry?
JPI
Old 06-22-04, 02:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by JacobT
It's the TC unit. I swapped out with another TC that fixed the CE light problem. But it costed me 4X installation charges and a new TC to fix it
wow, damn that sux, they gave you a gs300 unit?

man what a story

Quick Reply: TC: Sometimes causes Engine Check Light