Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Quote for 2jzgte swap and manual conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-11, 05:34 PM
4uhaterz
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quote for 2jzgte swap and manual conversion

I got quoted roughly $3000 for installation of motor and conversion of auto tranny to manual. Is this a fair price? I live in Ga.
Old 06-29-11, 11:14 AM
JamesG
Driver

Originally Posted by 4uhaterz
I got quoted roughly $3000 for installation of motor and conversion of auto tranny to manual. Is this a fair price? I live in Ga.
I think so as I saw someone paid 2k for manual conversion only.
Where is this? I live in GA as well
Old 06-29-11, 11:29 AM
Cartune
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what shop?
Old 06-29-11, 11:57 AM
LALEX1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm hoping that's labor only. And even then that seems low to me. But I've never had it done so I could be wrong.
Old 06-29-11, 08:48 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

It's hard to judge, because to me prices would hinge on quality of work, knowledge/previous labor of the same car platform, and how long it will take.

I assume it's just labor. And it does seem like a fair if they do good work, and stand behind it...

A top notch quality custom job could be worth alot more in labor. Much less and I would make damn sure they new what they were doing and what is involved.

You just plan to drop off a motor/trans from an importer, and then pick the car back up done? What about maintenance, timingbelt / tensioner / waterpump / acc belt / vvti ocv filter / seals / etc.. Does the $3000 include the needed custom exhaust, intercooler piping, radiator hoses, custom driveshaft, etc??

The motor drops in but it's still a big job... Just make sure both parties are clear what's involved and what included when making a deal.

GL!!! Post up some pics when you get to to that point..
Old 07-01-11, 08:51 AM
4uhaterz
Rookie

Originally Posted by JamesG
I think so as I saw someone paid 2k for manual conversion only.
Where is this? I live in GA as well
Mahdavi Motorsports in Lilburn, Ga.

Originally Posted by 99 GS3
It's hard to judge, because to me prices would hinge on quality of work, knowledge/previous labor of the same car platform, and how long it will take.

I assume it's just labor. And it does seem like a fair if they do good work, and stand behind it...

A top notch quality custom job could be worth alot more in labor. Much less and I would make damn sure they new what they were doing and what is involved.

You just plan to drop off a motor/trans from an importer, and then pick the car back up done? What about maintenance, timingbelt / tensioner / waterpump / acc belt / vvti ocv filter / seals / etc.. Does the $3000 include the needed custom exhaust, intercooler piping, radiator hoses, custom driveshaft, etc??

The motor drops in but it's still a big job... Just make sure both parties are clear what's involved and what included when making a deal.

GL!!! Post up some pics when you get to to that point..
The quote was just for labor and doing a 60k mile service on the motor. This was based on just dropping the motor in and getting it running. I have been thinking about doing majority of it myself though. I think I would just run into issues with the manual conversion but we'll see. Working on buying a house so as soon as that's out of the way I'll start.
Old 07-05-11, 01:23 PM
kingnicky
Driver School Candidate

Hey I'm not sure on a quote, I just started looking into doing this myself. I was wondering though, if u swap in a 2jzgte, do u have to change the car to a manual or can it stay an automatic with that motor?
Old 07-05-11, 03:09 PM
TheMadGS3
Driver

Originally Posted by kingnicky
Hey I'm not sure on a quote, I just started looking into doing this myself. I was wondering though, if u swap in a 2jzgte, do u have to change the car to a manual or can it stay an automatic with that motor?

Its a LOT harder to change to manual..Its easier to leave it auto.

And for 3k installing the motor and converting to manual..I would say that is pretty cheap. From what I remember it takes a decent amount of work to get a manual properly into the 98+ GS.

Just make sure they do good work. Maybe check out some of the other cars they have done work on.

Good luck, report back.