Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

rear end gear change GS 430 2nd gen

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-11, 10:19 PM
CT430GS1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear end gear change GS 430 2nd gen

Does anyone know what Gear ratios will fit in a 04 GS 430 rear? I believe the stock gears are 326:1. I am looking for something in the area of 273:1. And where can you buy them from?

Thanks,
CT430GS1
Old 06-28-11, 10:58 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Why do you want this change?
What year GS430?
2005 had 5 speed with 3.27 gears (3.266) 2006 had 6 speed with 3.77 gears (3.769)
Many variables including engine and tire speed are included in the calcs made by the computers. Changing gearing will likely cause warnings and possibly limp mode operation. If you are looking to go forced induction I would simply add a limited slip carrier with stock gearing to your existing housing.

Last edited by JBrady; 06-28-11 at 11:09 AM.
Old 06-30-11, 01:57 AM
erikbang
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JBrady
Why do you want this change?
What year GS430?
2005 had 5 speed with 3.27 gears (3.266) 2006 had 6 speed with 3.77 gears (3.769)
Many variables including engine and tire speed are included in the calcs made by the computers. Changing gearing will likely cause warnings and possibly limp mode operation. If you are looking to go forced induction I would simply add a limited slip carrier with stock gearing to your existing housing.
Amen to that!
Old 11-05-11, 11:51 AM
00Formula
Rookie

I looked into this as well, no luck with gear manufacturers.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...-rear-end.html

2.73 gears would be perfect for interstate driving at 75mph in terms of gas mileage.
Old 11-05-11, 02:14 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Re-read my post.

Anyway, you can effectively get this "final" ratio by increasing the tire diameter. As it is the tire diameter that creates the final gearing of the car. You need apx 19.5% larger diameter, stock is 26.63 so you need a 31.9 or so. Mount up a set of 275/55-20s and (if they fit the wheelwells) you will have the same effective gearing as going to 2.73s.
Old 11-05-11, 02:40 PM
AMSMIKE
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

buy a prius.
Old 11-06-11, 10:30 AM
00Formula
Rookie

Originally Posted by AMSMIKE
buy a prius.
That's kind of like saying buy a real fast car, instead of modding a GS to be faster. We all have different needs and tastes, some would like to make their cars faster, others more efficient. Actually once you get to a certain level of power, you need a lower numerical gear, otherwise you just blow the tires off. At that point most people have probably switched to a GM automatic and the stock gearing may be numerically low enough to keep from blowing the tires off at launch.
Old 11-06-11, 10:44 AM
AMSMIKE
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 00Formula
That's kind of like saying buy a real fast car, instead of modding a GS to be faster. We all have different needs and tastes, some would like to make their cars faster, others more efficient. Actually once you get to a certain level of power, you need a lower numerical gear, otherwise you just blow the tires off. At that point most people have probably switched to a GM automatic and the stock gearing may be numerically low enough to keep from blowing the tires off at launch.
I was serious. You want 2:73 gears in a GS430 because you want better MPG at 75mph. you "MAY" get like 2-3mpg better. Is it that worth it in order to risk problems. Not to me. If that's what you want. Buy a different car. A car that gets better MPG from the factory.

By lowering the gears from 3:27 to 2:73. You will most likely do more harm than its worth gaining MPG. The car will feel like a pig for one. The computers may trip out and you may come across more issues than good.

I doubt anyone has done this, for many reasons. one, because its not a good idea.

But its your car, when you do it, please report back!

If you want a faster car, you want taller gears. That's why GS300 has 3:91
Old 11-06-11, 11:04 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I can't speak for 2.73:1 final drive, but you don't want to go too low otherwise you'll be lugging the engine at certain highway speed.
Old 11-06-11, 04:47 PM
00Formula
Rookie

Originally Posted by AMSMIKE
I was serious. You want 2:73 gears in a GS430 because you want better MPG at 75mph. you "MAY" get like 2-3mpg better. Is it that worth it in order to risk problems. Not to me. If that's what you want. Buy a different car. A car that gets better MPG from the factory.

By lowering the gears from 3:27 to 2:73. You will most likely do more harm than its worth gaining MPG. The car will feel like a pig for one. The computers may trip out and you may come across more issues than good.
Dude, you have a GS with a 6.0L LS engine in it, and you don't see the irony in your post? It really is no different than saying, "if you want a fast car don't swap in a 6L GM engine and transmission, buy a Corvette". On one hand it's ok to swap in a lower rear end gear from a Supra, but to ask for a higher rear gear is not and will cause problems.

First and foremost the Lexus is a luxury car that's sporty, not a sports car that's luxurious. The gain in gas mileage would be significant if the car actually averaged 26mpg on the interstate for those of us who drive a lot of hwy miles. I have a motorcycle that runs 10's in the 1/4 and a Firebird Formula that runs mid 12's at 115mph, I already have fast modes of transportation. I like that the GS430 is sporty and luxurious, but it would be perfectly fine being a bit slower from a stand still with a taller 2.73 or 2.56 rear end gear. It's amazing to me that Lexus didn't make the 5th gear overdrive more of an overdrive ratio. The car has plenty of power to pull a 0.68:1 ratio instead of the 0.75:1 ratio overdrive.
Old 11-06-11, 04:58 PM
AMSMIKE
Lead Lap

Dude, you have a GS with a 6.0L LS engine in it, and you don't see the irony in your post? It really is no different than saying, "if you want a fast car don't swap in a 6L GM engine and transmission, buy a Corvette". On one hand it's ok to swap in a lower rear end gear from a Supra, but to ask for a higher rear gear is not and will cause problems.

First and foremost the Lexus is a luxury car that's sporty, not a sports car that's luxurious. The gain in gas mileage would be significant if the car actually averaged 26mpg on the interstate for those of us who drive a lot of hwy miles. I have a motorcycle that runs 10's in the 1/4 and a Firebird Formula that runs mid 12's at 115mph, I already have fast modes of transportation. I like that the GS430 is sporty and luxurious, but it would be perfectly fine being a bit slower from a stand still with a taller 2.73 or 2.56 rear end gear. It's amazing to me that Lexus didn't make the 5th gear overdrive more of an overdrive ratio. The car has plenty of power to pull a 0.68:1 ratio instead of the 0.75:1 ratio overdrive.
one has nothing to do with the other. is it worth a gain of 2-3mpg to change the gears to a really low 2:73 and possibly have problems. well if it is, go for it. Not my car

i dont understand what HP has to do with it and what your bike or firebird has to do with it. The OP wants better MPG. not power. AGAIN....if its worth the hassle of getting lower gears in order to gain a very minimal MPG. go for it. But when you look at the money spent and the savings in gas. It will probably cost more than one will save.

and it really doesn't matter because the OP hasn't even posted since he made this thread. LOL
Old 11-06-11, 08:58 PM
00Formula
Rookie

The increase in mpg would easily be worth the gear swap if you could find the gears. Gear sets cost about $225, annual savings if you drove 80 miles per day could amount to over $500. A six month payback is great by most any capital expenditure measure on ROI.
Old 11-08-11, 09:36 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Gear sets are quite expensive for these cars. Then add in anywhere from $500-700 to pull diff, rebuild the carrier, and reinstall diff.
Old 11-08-11, 03:02 PM
AMSMIKE
Lead Lap

The increase in mpg would easily be worth the gear swap if you could find the gears. Gear sets cost about $225, annual savings if you drove 80 miles per day could amount to over $500. A six month payback is great by most any capital expenditure measure on ROI.
$225 for a GS430 rear gear set? good luck with that.
Old 11-08-11, 04:18 PM
00Formula
Rookie

Like I posted in the other thread, they don't have the numerically lower gears I'm looking for, but gear sets go for $175-$225.

http://www.jawsgear.com/Ring_And_Pin...7.5-IRS_Supra/

Quick Reply: rear end gear change GS 430 2nd gen