Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Soon-to-be GS400 owner questions!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-11, 09:22 AM
kdick91
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soon-to-be GS400 owner questions!

So I'm breaking down and ditching the SC300 for a 2000 GS400 in white. I went through a TON of threads just reading info and I had a few extra questions. Other than the starter and valve cover gasket, what are the common issues to expect with a GS4? Are there any other little things I can look for to leverage a better deal on the car I'm looking at? The car I'm looking at is a non-Nav, non-Nakamichi GS400 with 120,xxx for $9,900.

Thanks,
Kyle
Old 07-10-11, 11:40 AM
lexusben
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check if the last owner did the 90,000 mile service. This service consists of the Timing Belt and Fuel Pump (most people also get the Thermostat replaced at this point, too). If the 90k service has not been completed that is going to run you near or slightly above 1 grand to have done right off the bat. The most common issues with the GS are worn suspension parts because the suspension joints are made of a soft rubber which age over time. Your suspension could still be in decent shape if the car has never been lowered, or the owner never installed big wheels which would have added stress and caused premature wear on the suspension components. Even if the car has never been lowered or undertaken suspension modification since the car is over 11 years old it may be time to replace the suspension parts regardless.

When I am talking about the suspension parts there are a few in particular that need mention. The biggest ones are the ball joints. When the ball joints fail it can have a devastating affect on your car, so get those checked out. Another big thing to check out are the caster arms because when they wear your suspension geometry is thrown off a bit. Other suspension parts to look out for are the Upper Control Arms (like the lower ball joints they have a ball joint which can wear out), Outer Tie Rods, and Inner Tie Rods. I should also note that their are polyurethane bushing kits out there that you can use to replace all the worn rubber bushings with so that you don't have to replace whole control arms (these are used for the Upper Control Arm, Lower Control Arm, and Caster Arm/ Lower Control Arm #2. However, if the ball joint on the UCA needs replaced you will still have to replace that whole arm). Basically if you just read the sticky's in the Suspension section you'll be set.

Other than suspension there are a few problems that people get. For example: Door lock actuators may go bad, wheel bearings may fail (I've rarely heard of this on the forum), the A/C Servos motor may go bad, hood struts may wear down, interior rattles may develop (I have the sunroof rattle which there is a fix to, but the glove box also rattle a bit occasionally), Oxygen Sensor may need replaced... I can't think of any other problems right now but I'm sure there are a few or more that I'm missing. I hope the list doesn't scare you because there are DIY's for all of these problems (Some more challenging than others), and even though I have had to do some work on my GS 400 I love the car.

As far as the price goes; well it doesn't seem like a bad price but I've seen better. You could try to talk the price down by mentioning the 90k service and if the suspension parts have been replaced. I bought my Silver on Black GS with Nak for that price with 110,000 miles over 2 years ago. The pricing on the GS 400's really seems to be at the sellers discretionary, they aren't very common so prices very on them. Anyways, good luck on getting a GS 400.

Last edited by lexusben; 07-10-11 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-11-11, 10:35 AM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, he's got everything covered. But $9900 seems steep. We've got an 03' GS430 w/ 100k miles for $9900 in my city.
Old 07-14-11, 08:03 AM
kikcaffine
Lead Lap

Bought my 98 gs4 in September 2 owner 80k, every record (even tb/water pump) for 8100. I LOVE THIS CAR!!!
Old 07-16-11, 10:08 AM
Craigmax
Driver School Candidate

HI guys I'm new here. Looking for a 400 myself as i want a real luxury sedan after two Maximas and my current Acura TL. If I could add a question in choosing a 300 or 400 which motor is easier to rebuild? My goal is to find a high mileage one and complete a rebuild over the winter. Thanks.
Old 07-23-11, 10:04 PM
lexusdog
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Timing belt/waterpump if it hasn't been done
Ball joints and outer tie rod ends are a MUST.
Some have starter issues (I have owned five GS400's over the last 12 years and only one had a starter issue)
Some cars with worn front suspension tend to shimmy a bit over 65mph.

That price is high, I bought my last 99 gs4 for $6200 with 100k

Overall one of the best cars ever built next to the LS430.