Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

HELP!!! Performance ECU upgrade??

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-11, 10:19 PM
HtownGS4
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HELP!!! Performance ECU upgrade??

I have installed PPE headers on my 98 GS400. I wanted to install some performance cam shafts, and an SRT intake. My question is, should I go with the SRT or another cold air and find an ECU that can be tuned on a dyno?? And if so, do yall know of any ECU's out there that will get the job done and let the tuner really zero in and crank out some power? I want to do this right and cant seem to find anyone in Houston with solid answers for me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated guys!!
Old 07-21-11, 09:55 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Standalone ECU?? EMS is what lots of folks use...

Piggy back? SAFCII/NEO is what some people use on NA bolt on cars.
Old 07-21-11, 10:29 AM
HtownGS4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vwynn
Standalone ECU?? EMS is what lots of folks use...

Piggy back? SAFCII/NEO is what some people use on NA bolt on cars.
Can the SAFCII be tuned on a dyno? Also, what am I looking to spend on one?
Old 07-21-11, 10:32 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Yes it can be dyno tuned.
Links to tuning SAFCII

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&h...4c136e9e03bc4a

Prices...
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=safcI...w=1140&bih=609
Old 07-25-11, 01:07 PM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sure, lets not believe the genius that told you it could be dyno tuned in the first place ha ha.

And just because I can I'm going to, use the search function:

Dyno Comparison: SAFC vs SRT ECU on a 430

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...fc-dyno-s.html

SAFC/ Apexi NEO are going to be your two choices if you choose to not go SRT.
Old 07-25-11, 01:30 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

The SAFC as been a great unit for a long time now and there is alot of tuning information on the web. And it's very likely most shops with a dyno will be familiar with the SAFC already..

The Apexi popular as well, and if you want to spend a little more money but get more flexibility you can step up to an AEM FIC or a MapEcu2/3..
Old 07-27-11, 09:56 PM
HtownGS4
Driver School Candidate

I was told by a tuner in Houston that he could tune my car but it would return to stock values eventually due to the stock ECU's. True?? Thanks for yalls input. Do you guys think I should go for the SRT and call it a day?
Old 07-27-11, 10:10 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

ive heard that too... ide like someone knowledgeable to confirm haha
Old 07-27-11, 10:15 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

i say just go SRT, a lot of people go that route so it'll defintely be a safe route
Old 07-28-11, 05:37 AM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I would just call Mo at SRT and ask him directly about what he thinks, they have lots of experience tuning these motors and he would probally have some input about the cams and what to expect.
Old 07-30-11, 04:57 PM
ironoxide1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99 GS3
I would just call Mo at SRT and ask him directly about what he thinks, they have lots of experience tuning these motors and he would probally have some input about the cams and what to expect.
the srt cold air intake comes with an ecu that "piggybacks" into the oem ecu...when i called srt, they didnt have mine in stock but he built one in about 2 weeks...promised 30hp increase...btw...the lexus factory ecu's will tune themselves at least in the gs's that have vvti
Old 08-02-11, 11:34 AM
HtownGS4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 99 GS3
Thanks man. Will give him a call for sure. Hope I can figure this out. I really wanted to cam this thing out and give it some reliable power while remaining N/A and a DD.
Old 08-02-11, 11:49 AM
HtownGS4
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ironoxide1
the srt cold air intake comes with an ecu that "piggybacks" into the oem ecu...when i called srt, they didnt have mine in stock but he built one in about 2 weeks...promised 30hp increase...btw...the lexus factory ecu's will tune themselves at least in the gs's that have vvti
Yeah, I am a Toyota/Lexus certified technician. Unfortunately, that means nothing when it comes to performance upgrades and tuning on these cars. The engine and transmission ECU's are both intuitive. I know that the trans ECU will actually learn your driving habits and adjust shift points and pressure. All of this is very cool stuff, but I am finding out more and more that the GS (and pretty much all other Toyo/Lex models) is almost over engineered. It takes so much to get more power from these things in comparison to almost all domestic engines. I just wish it was a easy as throwing a cam, carb, bore over, and head job to make a monster. All you had to do back in the day is tune the carb and rock and roll. On the other hand, I would not want to hassle with a carburated engine in a Lexus. Hope at some point soon I will have an epiphany and know the exact route to take with this 4.0 VVTi engine. I know it has all the potential in the World. And thanks everybody again for the feed back. Appreciate it.
Old 08-03-11, 08:55 AM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HtownGS4
I was told by a tuner in Houston that he could tune my car but it would return to stock values eventually due to the stock ECU's. True?? Thanks for yalls input. Do you guys think I should go for the SRT and call it a day?
Yes, that has been known to happen from time to time, but you can easily resolve that issue by resetting the ECU every few days. SAFC is the way to go if you plan on more than CAI and exhaust. While the SRT is great, there is no adjustability in the tune.

If you search, you'll fine plenty of topics covering every single question you could possibly have.