Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

IS350 to IS250 manual engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-11, 01:37 PM
PAVGR
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts
Default IS350 to IS250 manual engine swap

I m sure there was a thread before about this and there was also a magazine that was sawing that it can be done.Does anyone have any info about this because i believe that here in Europe that IS350 isn't an option this could be the best think to do to gain 100hp with a manual transmission.There is someone who has manage to install supra engine to an IS250.I m sure he spend a lot of money to do so but i m curious how can nobody in the USA market(and i m sure many of you wants to)has not tried to make the is350 manual.I m sure that it will not cost so much.The truth is that i really want someone else to do it first and let me know how it is done because i really want to do this!!
Old 08-02-11, 12:11 PM
PAVGR
Racer

A friend of mine who has a friend in Japan told me that in Japan there are many IS350 with the IS250 manual transmission and that his friend there can tell him what is needed to make it work.I want to ask you where do you think its the best place to buy a used IS350 engine?I also want to ask you if the engine mounts of the two engines are different and what other parts off the engine i will need.I m trying to see the cost before i start.I ve seen IS350 engines on ebay for $1800 and if that is the price for one i believe that it would be as expensive as a supercharger will cost and with less gain.What do you think?
Old 08-03-11, 03:09 PM
mikeho
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There have been many discussions about this and the biggest problem (from what I've read) is that the transmission cannot handle the extra power/torque. Even if you do manage to get the engine in, you won't be able to use it to the full extent without putting a different transmission setup in. This will most likely be cost prohibitive.
Old 08-03-11, 09:22 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 608 Likes on 405 Posts

Nobody has tried, people have said that, but (as I've posted a few times before), the transmission in the IS250 should be capable of handling the power. It is used in multiple applications where it is subjected to more torque than the 2GR can put out in vehicles heavier than an IS.

I am considering this swap in the future for my IS250. We'll see how it goes, but I'd love to see someone else attempt it as well. Given how similar the 2GR and 4GR are, it should actually (aside from the electronics) be a pretty easy swap. Mechanically bolt-in.

Jeff
Old 08-04-11, 11:52 AM
mikeho
Lead Lap

If you do manage to get it done, post a DIY or at least what a mechanic needs to know. I'd be interested in doing it too, especially when my engine dies and I still want to keep my car. And also let us know on the price too
Old 08-04-11, 11:53 AM
PAVGR
Racer

I don't think that the is250 transmission cannot handle the extra 100hp.My friend Elias who is perhaps the only one with a manual supercharged IS250 gained 70hp and the transmission has no problem at all.I think that everything is possible and as i told you my friends friend from Japan gave him the electronic diagram of the swap.I think in my mind that this swap is very easy if you consider that the IS350 engine fits direct to the IS250.Its all electronics from there.The dvd hack is just 2 wires and its done.I believe that it is as simple as that.You just want to full the ecu and maybe not even connect the wires to the manual transmission.
Old 08-04-11, 12:31 PM
ChrISF
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

okay then. just do it. stop wasting your time posting this. and stop wasting our time reading this.
Old 08-04-11, 11:11 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chrIS250
okay then. just do it. stop wasting your time posting this. and stop wasting our time reading this.
No need to be a douche. There's nothing wrong with looking for some help.

Although from the looks of it, it's unlikely he'll find it here. Doesn't sound like anyone knows of anyone who's done this... which is actually kinda surprising. I woulda thought SOMEone here would have done it or at least know someone who's done it after this car has been out for six years.
Old 08-05-11, 09:09 AM
mikeho
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PAVGR
My friend Elias who is perhaps the only one with a manual supercharged IS250 gained 70hp and the transmission has no problem at all.

I'm more interested in this! Can you get pics of his engine bay and have him (or his mechanic) tell us how he did this? I would totally do this if I knew how!
Old 08-05-11, 04:15 PM
PAVGR
Racer

Mikeho Elias is PEPOS with the LMS supercharged IS250(he has a thread with the all project).He is i m sure the first one in EUROPE who install the kit when everyone said that it want be safe.I m just saying that here in Europe that IS350 is not an option there is only a supercharger route or in my opinion the IS350 swap.ChrIS250 i have an option so i never read what you are writing.Do the same!I thought this was the reason that this forum is created for.Perhaps there are some things that i don't know because we don't have the 350 model here so i m trying to find out if the engine will fit right in my IS250.The electronics are for others.
Old 08-09-11, 04:34 PM
pepos
Driver

Originally Posted by chrIS250
Dear Friend
If we had a 2gr engine in our hands here in Greece be sure that we should have done it already.
But only sixty pieces and all of them 250's sold all over the Country so we can't even find used parts here. Even the FSport brake pads need to be ordered from the States.
So we have a 1:60 ratio in supercharged cars. With this ratio you should be having at least 1300 supercharged cars over there.
Nobody is promoting this model as it deserves to, because it has a perfect shape, very good quality, corners like a train with the right stuff on it (well balanced) and most of all high tech engine.
The numbers that the South Africans and the Chineese giving for their kits are real and very true. Steve's LMS kit doesn't have the extra fuel and open loop piggy to reach these numbers. On the other hand the LMS kit is less complicated, better materials and simple build up. With the addition of a water/meth kit and an open loop piggy mostly for the timing at high rpm and heavy engine load the gains are 100 bhp and more.
So as i stated before there is no real interest from the ISx50 owners in the States so the market can't be created.
And the reason for this is because you guys have the option of the 2gr engine in a very small difference in price as wisely Kurtz states.
Simple as that.
Here in Greece with the new luxury tax applied because of the so cold crissis (κρίση in Greek) a new 250 full package costs 98000$ US and the ISF 128000$ US.
Big Difference from the mother Country of consumption!!!!!

Last edited by pepos; 08-09-11 at 11:50 PM.
Old 08-10-11, 12:17 PM
PAVGR
Racer

Ευχαριστω φιλε για την υποστιριξη.Να μπορουσα να το βαλω αυριο και να του το δειχνα και να εξαφανιζομουνα μετα για να σκασει!
Old 06-02-12, 11:13 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

bump~ seeing more wrecked IS350... would like to see if any update swapping IS350 motor and electronics onto IS250.
Old 06-03-12, 10:01 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 608 Likes on 405 Posts

I'm probably still going to be waiting a while before actually doing anything, especially with how much warranty I have left on the car, haha.

That being said, I have checked into some of the details of doing this swap recently, and I think a few things should be mentioned:

1. The SARD IS350 M/T kit has an ECU that might work in a North American car.
2. The IS250 transmission is more than capable of handling the power of the 2GR-FSE, but would likely need a better clutch setup. Is the F-Sport pressure plate enough to hold it? Probably.

The RA6x transmission is used in cars much heavier than the IS250 and with more torque than the 4GR-FSE. One of the most notable is the RA63 in the IS220d, which is almost identical to the RA62 in the IS250 minus gear ratios and a different output shaft (flanged drive shaft instead of slide-in). The IS220d's 2AD-FHV puts out 295ft-lbs of torque (20ft-lbs more than the 2GR-FSE). Vehicle weight is near identical. It does have a much different clutch setup, however it is unlikely that it would bolt up to the GR engine. Another worthy example being the 2010+ FJ Cruiser with the dual VVT-i 1GR-FE and RA61H transmission. This weighs 4300lbs (Nearly 1000lbs more than the IS), and has an engine output of 271ft-lbs. The transmission's use in Chevrolet products is probably the most applicable to what we're looking at doing with the IS250 though, and that is comparing the 2GR-FSE's 306hp and 277ft-lbs to the GM 3.6L engine's 312hp and 278ft-lbs of torque using the same transmission as the IS250.

These are in stock applications, which are typically used in applications under what a component is rated for. In the IS250's case, the transmission is designed for longitudinal engine applications and designed to handle up to 345 ft·lbs of torque.

In short: people who say the IS250's transmission can't handle the 2GR-FSE are wrong. It can, and has in many other stock applications. My only concern really is the clutch.

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Lange; 01-04-16 at 08:59 PM.
Old 08-21-12, 05:14 PM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry for the bump, but does anyone know which 6m transmission is used in the Scion FR-S/BRZ? Apparently they use the same AT as the IS350, so I would think whatever 6MT they use would be a fairly eazy and doable project ($ issues aside of course).

Quick Reply: IS350 to IS250 manual engine swap