Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

06ISDriver's intake Dyno TESTED!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-11, 12:24 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sorry bro, I forgot to respond. You 've got pm.
Old 10-18-11, 10:34 AM
getfunky
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still waiting on these to hit the market! Any news/update on when that'll happen?
Old 10-20-11, 08:05 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

trying to get them to market before the christmas holidays
Old 11-18-11, 05:20 PM
CCJ22
Pole Position

I want now
Old 11-18-11, 05:58 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

whats the update on this?
Old 11-19-11, 11:39 AM
itruns
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by APynckel
colder air is still colder air and colder air means less knock and more timing = more torque.

(sorry for resurrecting)
Might be taking this a bit off topic, but I'm also interested here. Back in the day I had a crappy 2.3 ford for a beater and as a lark I threw a used water/meth system on it I had laying around. I could manually advance the timing several degrees farther than I could without the W/M kit. And it seemed to run much snappier, but I never had a chance to dyno it..

Just wondering if anyone has played with a modern kit like Snow's and our cars to see it the comp would/could take automatically take advantage of it on a N/A car?
Old 11-19-11, 03:46 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by itruns
Might be taking this a bit off topic, but I'm also interested here. Back in the day I had a crappy 2.3 ford for a beater and as a lark I threw a used water/meth system on it I had laying around. I could manually advance the timing several degrees farther than I could without the W/M kit. And it seemed to run much snappier, but I never had a chance to dyno it..

Just wondering if anyone has played with a modern kit like Snow's and our cars to see it the comp would/could take automatically take advantage of it on a N/A car?
I be very very surprised if the stock ECU ever advances timing beyond the programmed max, and there's no way to edit that.

You could theoretically use something like the HKS piggyback that HKS350 is using to bump timing, but if staying NA you're now spending a couple thousand bucks to pick up a handful of hp.
Old 11-19-11, 09:20 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

the update is that I'm waiting on vendors.

As far as the water/meth kit, I'm sure it'll help. I've added 3 degrees from 4500 to redline with my MAPECU3 and the car feels real good. I need to take it and get some more dyno tests done.
Old 11-21-11, 01:09 PM
itruns
Driver

Adaptable ECU's are much safer than the old manual timing adjustments... you didn't want to run out of water/meth when you were pushing the timing on the old cars...(and the old water/meth systems were very primitive compared to what we have today) but if it is so tough to mod the timing... just wondering if the IAT seeing the lower intake temps, wouldn't it be able to at least to go max factory timing in that rpm range? Modern comp controlled cars do seem to pull harder in colder temps... Wondering if anyone’s tried it?

Last edited by itruns; 11-23-11 at 09:15 AM.
Old 11-21-11, 03:16 PM
thISguy350
Pole Position

subscribed...
Old 11-23-11, 10:55 AM
itruns
Driver

I'm now wondering what is left out there for these cars for incremental upgrades... With some of the add-on ecu tuners, I've heard of bumping the timing and that teamed with something like a Snow's computerized water/meth injection...

I also read one of the add on ECU's being able to greatly shorten the speed of the tranny shifts.. I wonder teaming these additional capabilities with our normal bolt-ons if there isn't another couple of 10th's out there to be had.... Not No2 type gains, but sharpening the response for quicker 0-60?

I’d like to be able to run with my old e46 M3 and we are not that far off currently (4.5-4.6 0-60.. very low 13’s in the quarter for the BMW) I have not timed the IS350 yet and it only has an axle back and CAI currently, but I hear of talk of 4.8's and 13.3's on relatively stock cars. I guess I need to get the modern replacement of the old “g-Force” meters to find out for myself… just wondering if anyone has tried this yet?
Old 11-23-11, 12:53 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by itruns
I'm now wondering what is left out there for these cars for incremental upgrades... With some of the add-on ecu tuners, I've heard of bumping the timing and that teamed with something like a Snow's computerized water/meth injection...

I also read one of the add on ECU's being able to greatly shorten the speed of the tranny shifts.. I wonder teaming these additional capabilities with our normal bolt-ons if there isn't another couple of 10th's out there to be had.... Not No2 type gains, but sharpening the response for quicker 0-60?

I’d like to be able to run with my old e46 M3 and we are not that far off currently (4.5-4.6 0-60.. very low 13’s in the quarter for the BMW) I have not timed the IS350 yet and it only has an axle back and CAI currently, but I hear of talk of 4.8's and 13.3's on relatively stock cars. I guess I need to get the modern replacement of the old “g-Force” meters to find out for myself… just wondering if anyone has tried this yet?
Far as I know HKS350 is the only guy around using a piggyback that can do all of that stuff but he's running it with a supercharger so NA gains would be tough to judge (and he's not exactly running the ideal wheels/tires either for performance testing)

(we also don't know what tightening up those shift settings will do to transmission longevity, but I'd be pretty surprised if he cared )

One other member is running NA with a MAPECU3 but I don't think it does transmission stuff...
Old 11-24-11, 08:36 AM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tightening up shift points should not hurt the transmission,...heat/slippage would. Tightening up the shift points should improve clutch disc life and reduce heat build up,...but it would also take away shift smoothness and increase drive train impact,...I don't think he cares about those either

It's like doing a valve body mod, except electronically.
Old 11-24-11, 09:39 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by clubfoot
Tightening up shift points should not hurt the transmission,...heat/slippage would. Tightening up the shift points should improve clutch disc life and reduce heat build up,...but it would also take away shift smoothness and increase drive train impact,...I don't think he cares about those either

It's like doing a valve body mod, except electronically.
Not necessarily.

Some transmissions can only handle some things within limits.

It's why guys with N2O setups (advanced ones) can sometimes set the nitrous to shut off right before a shift, then come back on... because they'd kill the transmission otherwise.

One of the more legendary N2O setups on the LT1 had to do this for years to avoid killing his 4L60E... once he got a vastly stronger TH400 in there he was able to leave the juice on right through the shifts.

Likewise it's why if you had this done electronically on an LT1 (since the PCM was super super editable by anyone with a laptop) that was fine... or if you put in a mechanical shift kit, that was fine... but if you did both you'd be needing a new transmission fairly soon after and the programmer guys made a point of letting people know they'd need to update the flash if they put a mechanical kit in later.

There might well be an engineering reason the shifts are set the way they are beyond simple comfort. It's certainly possible you can tighten those up safely, but I don't think anyone knows enough about it to say how far you can safely tighten them long term except maybe the engineers who did the original work.

Since HKS350 is unconcerned about transmission death he tighten them fairly aggressively... this might reduce transmission significantly...or only a little...it might not reduce it at all. Since he doesn't care that doesn't matter. Other folks might care though so, figured it was worth mentioning.
Old 11-25-11, 05:55 PM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Not necessarily.

Some transmissions can only handle some things within limits.

It's why guys with N2O setups (advanced ones) can sometimes set the nitrous to shut off right before a shift, then come back on... because they'd kill the transmission otherwise.

One of the more legendary N2O setups on the LT1 had to do this for years to avoid killing his 4L60E... once he got a vastly stronger TH400 in there he was able to leave the juice on right through the shifts.
Well that wasn't very smart to run a couple 100hps NOS shot on something less than a built up turbo 400 or a C6! Who was this bright bulb?

Like I said heat and friction kill automatic transmissions. An instantaneous shot of NOS is NOT the same as a mild bump in hp on a ****ty transmission, it will slip and overheat in an instant!
Toyota normally build in a pretty good "safety" factor into their blocks, transmissions and differentials, so hopefully the IS trans will hold a little shift tightening. I guess we'll find out.

Quick Reply: 06ISDriver's intake Dyno TESTED!