Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

06ISDriver's intake Dyno TESTED!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-12, 06:19 PM
marine1342
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe I missed it while I read through the posts, but the initial dyno (base line stock) was about 260 and then with 06isDrivers new intake it bumped it up to 271.
Then the Dyno with custom exhaust, PPE headers, MAPECU3, custom intake it was able to put down 280 with no tune.
So my question is, what exactly is the estimate that this intake adds to the car in terms of hp?
Your custom exhaust, is it a true dual or just a catback system?
Because it seems to me that about 10 hp is for the PPE headers, custom exhaust and MAPECU3 push lets say about 5-6, so that leaves intake with about 5-6?
Not tryting to bash the design and all the work you've put into this, just want clarification on how the numbers were calculated and about how much hp/torque this new design intake lays down.
This all looks very promising!
Old 02-13-12, 06:14 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

293whp was the final number after all was said and done. I should go back though, because I've added 4 degrees of timing since then and it feels great near redline. The stock ecu pulls up to ?11 degrees? as it approaches the shift to keep it smooth.

Anyway, I need to do more testing, especially with one on the is250, but I am confident that most engines will respond to this intake with a 5-8 whp gain. I think I'm being conservative too.
I do believe, that on the third run when I posted up the 271 from the 260-262 is an accurate estimate for real world gains. I say this because, later, when my intake was off getting laser scanned, I did another tune because I was having some problems with the mapecu. Remember, the final number was 293 full tune, headers, and all. The best I could do that day was a 282( and it was cooler with similar humidity), and the only thing missing was my intake. Both the shop and I were amazed that it lost that much, and I felt reassured that my product design is excellent.

Lets hope I'm not shooting myself in the foot, but if what I say isnt true, then it isnt the best, and I haven't finished my work.

The initial dyno was just the intake and a y-pipe exhaust, no true dual. Never a true dual, just different straight through canisters and mufflers for sound tuning.
Old 02-13-12, 06:27 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

^293 whp on the IS350 is a strong number! I'm assuming that is SAE corrected Dynojet?
Old 02-13-12, 06:57 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

yeah SAE corrected, interestingly enough on that particular day, non SAE whp was 293 too!!
I was really going for 300 whp but it just wasnt there. I may be able to hit that magic number with this cooler weather and addtional timing.
Old 02-13-12, 07:05 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

sold my intake to get this one still waiting patiently
Old 02-13-12, 07:10 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

thank you very much!!! I cant wait to get this going, just like you.
Old 02-13-12, 05:36 PM
marine1342
Rookie

Damn, 293? That is quite impressive. Highest I've heard of NA. Maybe a true dual would bump you even closer to 300....
Now when you say full tune thats with the MAPECU3 you have running?
Seems to me that this intake will prolly give about 10 hp alone. I'm loving it!
The IS250 engine though should respond better to this intake than the is350. So far all the other mods have yielded a higher hp number on the 2.5 than the 3.5
Old 02-14-12, 06:01 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Lets not go crazy here. I'll get official estimates banged out after I test the 250.
Old 02-14-12, 07:39 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Remember too, some mods build on each other...

the gain from headers for example might well change based on the size/design of the exhaust that comes after it... or the intake that sits in front of it.

The most accurate (IMHO) way to say "X intake adds Y horsepower" is... (well, probably using trap speeds, but in context of a chassis dyno the most accurate way is...) to dyno a bone stock car (3 pulls), then swap the ONE part you're testing on it, then dyno again (3 pulls),, with engine cooldown in between, and see the difference. And for those reading the results you really wanna consider change in area under the curve, not just the peak #, though the peak # is what is usually advertised.

Now, if you want to then do a bunch more testing to see how various other mods all work together, by all means, that's awesome info... just expensive if you've not got free dyno access.

But this way you can confidently tell folks "This intake adds X power to a stock car... with supporting mods that number might be even higher"
Old 02-14-12, 08:27 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Yes I agree, and I tried my best to remove all other variables when testing except for the intakes.

The first dyno post was done in this manner with no other power adders except for a catback y-pipe exhaust which remained the same. The car was allowed to cool down after driving to shop, it was run 3 times with stock, cool down, 3 times with my intake.

I'm confident these are accurate numbers, but I do agree that the mods can definitely build on each other. And if you'll remember, I was measuring trap speeds that calculated a 7-9 whp difference before I got the dynos done, so the data correlates.

Last edited by 06isDriver; 02-14-12 at 08:31 AM.
Old 02-14-12, 09:02 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 06isDriver
Yes I agree, and I tried my best to remove all other variables when testing except for the intakes.

The first dyno post was done in this manner with no other power adders except for a catback y-pipe exhaust which remained the same. The car was allowed to cool down after driving to shop, it was run 3 times with stock, cool down, 3 times with my intake.

I'm confident these are accurate numbers, but I do agree that the mods can definitely build on each other. And if you'll remember, I was measuring trap speeds that calculated a 7-9 whp difference before I got the dynos done, so the data correlates.
Yup, especially with something like an intake where I think a dyno isn't the best real-world method of testing, I was very happy to see trap speed data, and gives me a lot more confidence in your results.

Very much looking forward to seeing what the commercial product looks like sincey ou'd be the first to design something (unrepeatable marketing dynos from K&N and folks aside) that goes beyond the ~5hp intake gain for the 2IS.
Old 02-14-12, 09:21 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by 06isDriver
Anyway, I need to do more testing, especially with one on the is250, but I am confident that most engines will respond to this intake with a 5-8 whp gain. I think I'm being conservative too...
Congrats..!!!

Seems to be right in par with all the Intake R&D I have done over the years on these motors since 2006.

IS350 (Auto) was always in the 5-6 Rwhp gain range
&
IS250 (Manual) was always in the 6-7 Rwhp gain range

~ Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 02-14-12 at 09:33 AM.
Old 03-01-12, 06:09 PM
marine1342
Rookie

Any updates?
Old 03-04-12, 10:44 AM
xMrfreezex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by marine1342
Any updates?
Second that
Old 03-07-12, 05:48 PM
iTaLiAnO
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry I didn't read everything but from looking at the pictures I'm wondering how this makes a difference from the stock airbox? (Which is closed...)

Quick Reply: 06ISDriver's intake Dyno TESTED!