Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

keeping the 5 speed for my gte swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-11, 01:51 PM
japspec
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SBM2jLEX
simply put....5-spd cost and require a lot more work than you will benefit. jus do the 4-spd like we all did lol
Finally somebody with sense.
Old 08-03-11, 09:40 AM
Scurvey81
Driver School Candidate

My reason for wanting to keep the 5 speed is my goal is top speed. An extra gear always helps that. Thanks for all the input, Im really liking the standalone idea. I was looking into the new aem piggyback system. That and a turbo set up a mad scientist friend is fitting into his supra.
Old 08-03-11, 09:55 AM
qphoton
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scurvey81
My reason for wanting to keep the 5 speed is my goal is top speed. An extra gear always helps that. Thanks for all the input, Im really liking the standalone idea. I was looking into the new aem piggyback system. That and a turbo set up a mad scientist friend is fitting into his supra.
A34x is very strong tranny, it can handle much more than 1000hp with proper tuning, it is no so expensive to hold something like 400 hp, it is about $500 for valve body ...

I think that with tuned A650E max numbers something about 850hp ..

if your goal is top speed just install other rear end, something like 3.76 LCD ..
TRD makes 320 km/h gauge cluster for aristo JZS161
Old 08-03-11, 10:44 AM
gijohnnyb
Driver

QPHOTON - are you saying that an A650E transmission can hold up to 850WHP? I'd really like to see some references on this.
Old 08-03-11, 02:44 PM
qphoton
Driver

Originally Posted by gijohnnyb
QPHOTON - are you saying that an A650E transmission can hold up to 850WHP? I'd really like to see some references on this.
I'm saying that fully build A650E can handle up to 850hp (you can ask here - http://importperformancetrans.com/toyotaauto.shtml)
Old 08-05-11, 09:11 PM
Scurvey81
Driver School Candidate

Ok, so the A340 is much stronger then the A650. Why? What makes them so different? Is it the clutch packs, the valve body, both?
Old 08-05-11, 10:19 PM
qphoton
Driver

My friend Alexander Sokolenko (HARVEST) is engaged in tranny tuning for 1000+ hp projects many years in Russia, he says that in A340 the case is much stronger, than in A650, also in A340 the gear shift is realized much easier (especially 1->2), therefore its potential considerably above.

p.s.: sorry for my english ..
Old 08-06-11, 01:41 PM
NVTHSLEX
Lead Lap

If you want to keep the 5 speed and have it built, ask Jeff he has been doing tests with sprags and all that stuff.

You will most likely loose e-shift if you go with 4-speed.
Old 08-07-11, 08:30 AM
Scurvey81
Driver School Candidate

I dont have e shift as is so no loss there. I remember reading through that thread, really good info. No worries about the english bro, thanks for the help. Either way I go does anyone recommend a torque convertor that can handle 500+ hp?
Old 08-07-11, 08:52 AM
NVTHSLEX
Lead Lap

^^^

For a torque converter, I think the recommended stall for
street driving is around 3200 rpm. From PI.

I am running with the stock converter and its just fine.

I would be much more concerned with the tune and wiring as that ends up being my problem with major weather changes, ie from winter cold starts to hot summer.
Old 08-10-11, 01:14 PM
2jzaristo1
Rookie

So a non turbo 5 spd auto tranny holds power better than a 4spd twin turbo tranny. I guess toyota had it backwards maybe you need to work for toyota in the R&D dept.
__________________.....???? hahaha is the 4spd (twin turbo) tranny not AUTO as well just like the non turbo 5spd tranny LOLOLOL

Anyways bro since you seem to know so much with such inputs of swapped gs's how about you come to Dallas and take a ride in both of my buddies gte swapped gs's and watch them both use there E-shift buttons to go through each gear while holding boost for as long as they want instead of having a tranny that shifts automatically for you or (******ing up a drift, or dropping boost) or instead having to manually shift your auto by hand-shifting. My point is there is reasoning behind peoples ideas and wants an your uneducated comments are not boosting your credibility at all.
Old 08-10-11, 10:31 PM
japspec
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 2jzaristo1
So a non turbo 5 spd auto tranny holds power better than a 4spd twin turbo tranny. I guess toyota had it backwards maybe you need to work for toyota in the R&D dept.
__________________.....???? hahaha is the 4spd (twin turbo) tranny not AUTO as well just like the non turbo 5spd tranny LOLOLOL

Anyways bro since you seem to know so much with such inputs of swapped gs's how about you come to Dallas and take a ride in both of my buddies gte swapped gs's and watch them both use there E-shift buttons to go through each gear while holding boost for as long as they want instead of having a tranny that shifts automatically for you or (******ing up a drift, or dropping boost) or instead having to manually shift your auto by hand-shifting. My point is there is reasoning behind peoples ideas and wants an your uneducated comments are not boosting your credibility at all.
Who are you? whats uneducated about my statement? I guess the vast majority of 2jzgte vvti swapped gs owners that are running the tranny that came with the swap are stupid then, we would be better off just buying the vvti gte motor and finding a na 5 spd tranny then. First of all you can keep the e shift with the vvti gte you need the body module but most people dont bother. Dont tell me about your friends I dont care about what they are doing and what boost their holding, dont tell me about credibility of my statements I been on my swap for a minute, they already made the Captain America movie and its been out for a couple of weeks now, so if your trying to be some type of Thread super hero wait until Marvel starts casting for the Captain America 2 and stay in your lane and sit your butt on the bench like the bench warmer you are.
Old 08-13-11, 12:20 AM
Scurvey81
Driver School Candidate

Ok, argue through pm please. I don't want this to be one of those threads. So, 5 spd requires stock ecu with piggyback or stand alone, limited to around 380 hp without building, and the stock torque convertor is pretty reliable. So let's play with some numbers shall we. My ultimate goal is a car running 180-200 mph range. NA, 5 spd, 3.23 final, the car tops around 155. So with the 4 spd what kind of final gearing and hp numbers are we looking at? The stock 3.23 with an lsd is seeming like the best opition to really strech out the gears or have I got things mixed up?
Old 08-13-11, 01:00 AM
japspec
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Scurvey81
Ok, argue through pm please. I don't want this to be one of those threads. So, 5 spd requires stock ecu with piggyback or stand alone, limited to around 380 hp without building, and the stock torque convertor is pretty reliable. So let's play with some numbers shall we. My ultimate goal is a car running 180-200 mph range. NA, 5 spd, 3.23 final, the car tops around 155. So with the 4 spd what kind of final gearing and hp numbers are we looking at? The stock 3.23 with an lsd is seeming like the best opition to really strech out the gears or have I got things mixed up?
Scurvey all im saying is if your going to use the na tranny and not build it leave it alone if your going to build it then use it but the 4 spd tranny is a little bit stronger, by the way i'm on a gs400 diff so as for gearing i couldnt tell you which one would be better for you.
Old 08-13-11, 02:21 AM
qphoton
Driver

Scurvey81, i'm sure that final gear about 3.9 ...

Quick Reply: keeping the 5 speed for my gte swap