Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

eBay intake, custom heat shields, come in here and hate!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-11, 06:15 PM
Defender46
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default eBay intake, custom heat shields, come in here and hate!

Pretty sure my post in another thread didn't get any attention so I figured this deserved it's own thread.
Reasons for doing this:

-I have the Greddy SE and Invidia midpipe and I like the sound, worried about being too loud or too ricey with other set ups, but it's not quite loud enough, intake will add noise.

-F Sport is too expensive in my opinion for using the stock air box lid

-Other aftermarket intakes are too expensive as well, especially if they don't gain power compared to the F sport.

-I was worried about sound not power, hate all you want but I know what I wanted.

-You might say it's going to damage the MAF but this filter is actually pretty dry for an oil type and I know how to service it when it's due

Reasons you can hate:
-Cheap
-Technically a hot air intake yadda yadda yadda

So I spent ~$65 bucks on an intake from an eBay seller(incl shipping)
then I spent ~$20 at Lowe's on some sheet metal, bolts, washers, high temp primer and high temp flat black paint. Installed the intake and built this heat shield set up, then used some insualting foam I had laying around to totally seal it off with the engine covers and up front towards the radiator, still utilizing the stock air duct and possibley pulling air from behind the headlights and the other little gaps there. The sound is awesome, and as someone who's worked on cars his hole life, beyond the sound, the "seat of the pants dyno" probably the same or 1-2 more hp gain than cars i've driven with f-sport intake set up.

Feel free to hate, comment/suggest blah blah blah, and absolutely COPY this mod if you want

Last edited by Defender46; 05-07-18 at 09:07 AM.
Old 08-02-11, 06:47 PM
Denver
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think some ppl might say buying a joe z intake pipe and cutting a hole will be a better route and will look better
Old 08-02-11, 06:48 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It's a steal and you put your own twist on it. It looks like my injen intake and you're right about minimal if any HP gains on all intakes except Joe Z and F Sport.
Old 08-02-11, 07:29 PM
Defender46
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Denver
i think some ppl might say buying a joe z intake pipe and cutting a hole will be a better route and will look better
Same difference with the covers on in my opinion.
Old 08-03-11, 06:03 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sffd103
It's a steal and you put your own twist on it. It looks like my injen intake and you're right about minimal if any HP gains on all intakes except Joe Z and F Sport.
eh hem, I just proved at least an 8whp increase on mine, but I digress. I think Defender could have it look a little better if he'll use edge trim. Its a rubber bulb with the ability to attach it to sheet metal of different thicknesses.

measure the thickness of your sheet metal and go to mcmaster.com and search edge trim. Find the bulb diameter that'll work with the right trim thickness and voila' - instant professional seal.

Also, dont be surprised if that maf sensor gets clogged up with oil. Your car will run incredibly rich and even try to stall. I've had PLENTY of problems ANY time I used oil on any filter with our mafs. It's why I decided with a dry filter.

way to do something yourself!
Old 08-03-11, 06:11 AM
TheSenator
Pole Position

Props for taking on a DIY project yourself and saving some cash if that was your goal.

Take 06Driver's suggestion as it will clean up the look a little bit.
Old 08-03-11, 09:37 AM
2slixx
Lexus Test Driver

NICE DIY Bro! Atleast you don't want to be like everyone else! I heard TAKEDA intakes give 13hp/11trq on dyno sheets. Sounds beast also.
Old 08-03-11, 10:29 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

now get it dyno,
Old 04-29-18, 03:10 PM
Lowrider25
Driver School Candidate

I bought this same intake and don’t see what the bracket on the side is supposed to attach to. Also, I’m assuming you had to use a longer piece of 3/4” hose that connects from the intake tube to engine, correct?
Old 05-01-18, 02:25 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

My branded intake tube came with a rubber damper with washers that was threaded on both ends. I screwed one end into the OEM vehicle metal bracket below it, and used a nut to secure the tube bracket in place on top of the supplied rubber damper.
Old 05-01-18, 08:23 PM
Lowrider25
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gville350
My branded intake tube came with a rubber damper with washers that was threaded on both ends. I screwed one end into the OEM vehicle metal bracket below it, and used a nut to secure the tube bracket in place on top of the supplied rubber damper.
Into which bracket? The closest thing I have is a ground wire with a bolt through it but it’s abouy 3/4” away from where I would need it to be. Any pictures?
Old 05-02-18, 02:11 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Lowrider25

Into which bracket? The closest thing I have is a ground wire with a bolt through it but it’s abouy 3/4” away from where I would need it to be. Any pictures?

Sounds like you need to correctly insert and clock your tubing in order to get it to align to this location :

Old 05-02-18, 11:30 PM
Lowrider25
Driver School Candidate

Yeah that’s where I tried putting it. I’ll definitely have to bend the bracket on the intake tube a bit to get it to line up with that. Thanks. The company is sending a hose extension and a bracket so I’ll see what I come up with when it gets here.